Porsche Macan Forum banner

Macan Navigation Maps & Updating the System

100K views 140 replies 75 participants last post by  oqjnLu@>@W 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am not sure if this issue has been treated in earlier posts. I am sorry if it had.

I wonder what will be the procedure to update the navigation maps considering the hard disk used by the Macan PCM.

I also wonder if it would be any option to add Custom POIs into the navigator, radar locations, for example. That was easy and really useful in my BMW X5 Prof. Nav system via DVD.

I have been looking for the Internet and I can not find any information about Porsche PCM.

#3 ·
Hi boblehead!
Similar but not exactly the same:

Look at this:

* BMW DVD updating not needing dealer assistance programming:

BMW Navigation Update | eBay

* Look at other brands, DVD por personal updating without dealer:

Navigation Update DVD | eBay

And look at the prices!!!

And I personally have experience with radar location POI adding to the maps. So you can see the radar location on the displayed map....

#4 ·
I ordered mine a few weeks ago but the order form had a "7RT, European DVD" annotated. I wasn't too sure what that meant so I wrote to Porsche to ask about future NAV upgrades and if it would require a new DVD or how that process would work. I just sent that email but will let you know once I receive a reply from Porsche.

#6 ·
Navigation Map Data Updates

Can someone explain if and how the Macan nav system gets map updates? Assuming it does. I've read the entire 500 pages of manual and can't find a clue.

My car is on a ship somewhere in the Atlantic presumably on its way to San Diego and then to Santa Barbara before the end of April....

#7 ·
I'm guessing that map updates can only be done by Porsche when you bend over and pay a few hundred dollars. In exchange for a lighter wallet, they will upload new maps via an SD card.

Reactions: jcdpr02
#9 ·
One more reason I skipped the overpriced Infotainment. The maps are outdated as soon as you drive off the dealer. Usually they will have an yearly update that will cost you a lot. Waze and Google Maps are free and always up to date. :)

#10 ·
Probably alot more than a few hundred with Porsche....it was $300 for my audi to update maps a couple years ago and quite honestly that was a waste of money. Google maps on my android is more accurate on arrival time, traffic, rerouting, and route in general. It was a dvd too.

#11 ·
Are there updates? Annual?

I think Garmin & TomTom & other brands of GPS Map/Navigation companies offer software updates at least annually. They typically sell them. Roads are changing constantly. New developments, residential building, etc. So your maps are out of date.

Does Porsche update our map software? Is it @ N/C during 4 year warranty period?

How much is it after the warranty expires?

I found this undated article:
“How to Update a Porsche Navigation System”

How to Update a Porsche Navigation System | eHow

Reactions: vau1107
#16 · (Edited)
So, seems as if you're saying navigation/map updates & fixes are available but, Porsche does NOT pay for this to be done. (Unless, possibly, you have connect plus... which I do not have)

How can I tell which PCM version/update I currently have installed?
Took delivery 8-2015.

Update: I checked my PCM manual & didn't see a section on updates or version. But I found this:
Displaying the system version
This menu item allows you to view the system version of your PCM.
1. Press the INFO button.
2. Press the OPTION button or touch the tab of the same name in the header.
3. Select "System version". The system version is displayed.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/deliveries/77449-check-software-version.html

I checked & I have v4.75

Is this the most recent version?

Reactions: Namo
#13 ·
and each update requires dealer installation/activation so add that on to the cost. Essentially, if you are going to get the three updates, you might as well get connect plus because just the update software is $810...add in the dealer install/activate and you're now almost at the $1395 for connect plus. Alternatively, you can look at this as pre-paying for the updates and getting apple car play, google/real time traffic/etc for almost nothing.

I have no idea if any updates are free in the US if you don't have connect plus....heck, I'm not even sure that they are really included with no extra charge in connect plus given how porsche NA describes the software and the software bundle pricing for connect plus.

#17 ·
I verified with my SA that Porsche does NOT pay for updates to Map. Cost approx. $550.00. I forgot to ask if v4.75 is current.

Reactions: Namo
#19 ·
Frankly, it would strongly chap my ass to pay ANYTHING for an update on my 2016 Macan S, as the software that it came with was outdated, horribly. By years..

They should pay ME to help them update the software. It is just not useful to have egregious errors in the maps themselves, and then not be able to find well-established businesses that have been around for years.

#32 ·
@jammer I copied 10gb of music to a 32gb SD card and put it into my Macan just now. It started playing within a second when I switched to The SD media and then the PCM started to catalog all the music, the album artwork and song lists showed up within a minute.
Does anybody know how large of a SD card I can use? I'll go buy a 256gb one if it will work.

#33 ·
Quick response @kingfred ! I know the PCM works with 256GB USB sticks so I'd be surprised if it wasn't good for at least that amount on the SD cards as well. Did you get a PCM manual with your 2017 Macan? My 2015 manual for the older PCM system lists a 10,000 file maximum for the USB sticks, so if that applies for the new PCM system as well it will probably be the limiting factor rather than the capacity of the SD card.

Also, did you notice if all the tracks on the SD card were available immediately, or did they slowly become available as the catalog was built up? From what you said ("the album artwork and song lists showed up within a minute") I'm guessing that it behaved the same as on my system. The first artists listed alphabetically (in my case, 10cc) were available immediately, while ZZ Top only became accessible when the indexing was completed.

#34 ·
@jammer every song was available to listen to right away, I randomly selected some of them in different folders and didn't have a problem, but it seemed that the artwork and song names were downloaded over the SIM card and were showing up before the first song finished. I think that's what Gracenote does.

#38 ·
Here in Australia, I've been told by my SA that we have the latest maps as at end Dec 2015.
Each time the car goes in for a service, the maps will get updated FOC.

#41 ·
On a similar note, looks like Apple CarPlay is gradually become wireless thru BT on some vehicles, but not on Macan :( I'm hoping thru some kinda update it will be in the future...on your phone, if you go to Settings, General, and CarPlay...you can see what I'm talking about if you haven't discovered this already...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.