15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Default Polish/Wax/Glaze

Alright gentlemen....a couple of questions:

1. What is recommended for waxing and or polishing a brand new Macan? Is either necessary right away? Wax, but no polish? Should I wait?
2. What is the recommended brands/types of Polish and Wax for Jet Black Metallic?
3. Is a glaze necessary?
4. How about a good interior leather cleaner and leather conditioner?

Help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Garage

I suspect you'll receive more info than you thought possible, and will likely still be uncertain of what to buy but at least have sufficient positive recommendations that you can pick one.

I'm keen on Meguiars professional line. You shouldn't have to polish unless you have damage to your paint / clearcoat. However, factory paint often comes with a little orange peel to it, so a moderate cutting polish can remove some of that.

Jet Black Metallic. Perfect color for a high quality Carnauba wax. I have silver, so am never going to get that deep wet look. But, I'm going to try a good sealant and then Carnauba on top of that; hopefully locking in the shine and then adding a bit of depth with the wax.

I saw a thread here where someone used a saddle treatment on their leather with positive results.

There are a number of online detailing forums where you can dip your line in the water and get tons of recommendations.

Autogeeks.net has some reviews of the products they sell.

I should comment that I received my Mac two days ago. This Saturday it gets a quality two bucket wash, then a full clay bar treatment, then sealant and wax.
ranrey1 likes this.

Warp speed now! And don't give me
any of that dilithium crystal crap!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1314 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)

NO glaze. glaze is a filler

Everything is in here https://www.macanforum.com/forum/deta...h-porsche.html
-=Hot|Ice=- likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 495 Post(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoschella View Post
Alright gentlemen....a couple of questions:

1. What is recommended for waxing and or polishing a brand new Macan? Is either necessary right away? Wax, but no polish? Should I wait?
2. What is the recommended brands/types of Polish and Wax for Jet Black Metallic?
3. Is a glaze necessary?
4. How about a good interior leather cleaner and leather conditioner?

Help is appreciated!
@dmoschella If only there was a section on this forum dedicated to questions like this. Maybe like:

Detailing - Porsche Macan Forum
Stevec717 likes this.

DELIVERED 31st Dec 2014. Happy New Year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)

Get yourself a bottle of Black Fire Wet Diamond from www.autogeek.net and you will be amazed with the results. Easy to apply and remove and the wet look on dark colors is simply amazing. It's a synthetic polymer and does have some very light fillers.

For leather I recommend Zaino Z10.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2015 Porsche Macan Turbo | White with Garnet Red & Black Leather: 20" Spyder Design Wheels with Colored Porsche Center Caps, Premium Plus, Air Suspension, Sport Chrono, 18 Way Seats, Bose, Tow Hitch, Carbon Fiber Side Blades, Carbon Fiber Interior, Comfort Lighting, Smokers Package, Voice Control, 3-Zone Climate, Heated Seats F&R, Porsche Crests Front Headrests.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

My Macan was delivered less than a week ago. After reading the posts on here for months I am trying to do what I saw was being recommended consistently. @grim 's link will lead you to posts by Money2536. I am a fan of Money. The following is what I have done to date. I am not saying this is the best procedure but only what I ended up doing after all things I had read were considered.
My primary resources:
-"Money2536" link in MacanForum or search for him at rennlist.com
(my go to for watching step by step process detailing his Porsches
-"Junkman" who has several detailing videos on You Tube
( a car detailer who led me to The Rag Company for my microfiber needs and the suggestion of buying Micro Fiber towels only made in South Korea and how to test for the softest)
-A Supply company named "Detailed Image"
(That has several articles on Detailing a New Car, particularly black exterior which is what I have)
To date:
Exterior
-wash and foam wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash mixed with Adams multipurpose cleaner
-Blow dry
-Clay bar treatment with ONR
-Rewash with remaining solution in #1
-Tape
-Polish with Menzerma 4500
-Glaze with Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze - Note that several state this is not necessary but has some benefits. It is very easy on, easy off so I did it.
-Applied Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant
*Wax may not be necessary after Blackfire but I am going to try Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax in a couple of days and see if there is a positive improvement.
Interior:
-Treated leather with Leatherique Rejuvenator last night
-After 48 hours I will clean with Leatherique Conditioner
-Then I will apply Dr Beasley's Leather Lock to protect the leather.
I like the products I have used to date but I am tired! BTW, I am no authority on detailing but perhaps this list will be useful in some way!
grim likes this.

Delivered 02/26/16 2016 Porsche 981 Spyder in GT Silver & Classic Red Interior
Delivered 12/05/14 2015 Porsche Macan S Black on partial Black/Garnet w/ 14 way seats, A/S PASM, PTV+, ACC PAS, 20" Spyders, Bose, comfort lighting, 3 zone climate, trailer hitch
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

I did a review on the Griots orbital (I recommend get an orbital if you will be doing your own detailing). There's the detailing steps I took in there for my previous car along with links.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/deta...al-review.html

I did NOT polish the car yet, only sealed it. There were some small towel scratches, etc. that could have benefited from a very light polish, but remember..... every time you polish now, is one that you can't do in the future.

You got black, so that's your own **** fault. I would recommend a light polish (Griots # 4), glaze, sealant, and wax. The polish will get most of it, the glaze what you missed, the sealant protection (and fills swirls also), and the wax will bring out the depth.

Ordered Feb-14', Estimated 8/22/14, Delivered 9/3/14: Macan S White, Black Interior w/partial leather and 14-way, RS Spyder wheels w/ crest, Premium Plus, AS/PASM/PTV, ACC/PAS, Black Roof Rails w/Gloss Black Window Trim, Comfort light, Trailer Hitch
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)

I think the leather is sealed/painted so leather treatment is doing nothing.
JB24003 likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Thank you all. Great advice. I've spent hours going through the threads now. I have to do a better job of searching. Bottom line, I will not be polishing. I will seal and wax. Much appreciated.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)

That's all you need for a brand new car/paint.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015