User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Purchased at 4pm, maintenance msg at 7pm

Purchased a 2018 yesterday, never been titled, sat at the dealer's lot since December, 29 miles. Gas was low, so we filled the tank (with 93 as 91 wasn't available), and as soon as we started it back up got an alert message of oil change in 10000 miles 22 days. Dealer isn't open today (Sunday), so have to wait until Monday. First oil change is free, but instead of it being in December, if he tells me that they will do the first free one now, I am losing four months. Besides, this message doesn't jive with the time period of a year and certainly not the mileage. We are Porsche virgins and would appreciate any input/ammunition we can use for when we speak to the dealer rep on Monday.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I'm guessing the 1 year service count down was set at the factory and it originally took a few months to arrive on your dealers last December. It should have a build date on the sticker in your door jamb to confirm.

If it were me, I would certainly insist that they change the oil now for free, not going against your free 10k service. Meaning when you actually hit 10k, that service should still be free to you.

It's not your fault the car did not sell and the oil is now over due for change due to Porsche's own defined service intervals - 1 year OR 10k miles.

I'm honestly surprised they did not address this before you took delivery. Even weirder you had to personally fill your first tank?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
///Bruce likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1314 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)

Welcome. Probably meaningless. AFAIK, the clock starts running based on the build date, not the day you buy it. Look on the drivers side door body for the build date. Its probably been a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Welcome. Probably meaningless. AFAIK, the clock starts running based on the build date, not the day you buy it. Look on the drivers side door body for the build date. Its probably been a year.
Yep, I had a similar issue.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage

In the mean time drive it the oil is fine.

2018 Macan GTS
2015 Panamera
2009 911
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage

I have never bought a new car but I am surprised it sat on the lot that long with a low fuel tank. Is that normal?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFER1 View Post
I have never bought a new car but I am surprised it sat on the lot that long with a low fuel tank. Is that normal?
Interesting point. In my experience the typical new car (all brands, not just Porsche) sitting on a dealer lot does not have much fuel in it. And then the other question is does not the fuel start to break down over that long a period? Is the typical car dealer going to be bothered adding fuel stabilizer? Is fuel stabilizer added at the factory?

I recall when Vandit bought his first Turbo it was nearly two years after the build date and it had only 300 miles on it, assumedly demonstration miles. But he did not mention any issues due to old fuel.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1314 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFER1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Interesting point. In my experience the typical new car (all brands, not just Porsche) sitting on a dealer lot does not have much fuel in it.
How many miles on the car when bought? @Shark is right. Usually the cars have very little gas in them. Go for a test drive and you might get worried you'll get back. Gas with ethanol will go bad quickly today. I think they say the shelf life is about one month. But that effects mostly small engines with carburetors that will and do get gunked up and have to be rebuilt. Don't ask how I know that. Modern auto engines seems to be able to go much longer but standard advice if storing the car is to add stabilizer. The other thing is the battery will die. Sometimes you'll see cars on lots rotating into showrooms and being put on battery maintainers.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

My car was put into service about Sept 2015... a '16 model.
4300 miles during that time.
I took delivery Feb 2019... car went off lease very late 2018

The battery was very weak I found after leaving it
It couldn't be recharged.... new one for +/-$600

but all the fluids were changed etc and I have had no warnings to date

Seeing the car in question was 'new'... I doubt any fluids were addressed

I have just 'parked' my car for 4-5 weeks and have less than 1/2 tank of gas
I prefer to leave it full.... but got fouled up

We'll see
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thank you all for the replies. We have a message into our salesman about the oil/service notification. The build date is listed as 07/2018. We just want the dealer/manufacturer to not count this as our first service that is included. We have a another little "glitch" that we think is also the dealer's responsibility.

The car came with window tint on all the windows. We are not sure if it was a dealer installed item as it does not appear on the sticker anyplace. Anyway, we noticed today the tint is starting to peel on an edge and will only get worse with rolling the window up and down. Again we see this as a dealer problem to fix since we have only had the car 24 hours.

Grim, as to your question about the mileage, it had 28 miles on it when we got it. The salesman told us they put it into their demonstrator fleet as a "punch out" car. We were told this was to get it off their books as an unsold car when the 2019's came out. It was never actually used as a demonstrator or loaner. All their other demonstrators have between 2100 and 5000 miles.