Porsche Macan Forum banner

Service Advisor Satisfaction?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  santastico 
#1 Ā·
I have had my '17 GTS CPO in service since late last month to fix a few cosmetics that were overlooked when she was dirty before I signed on the dotted line. In their defense, they have (said they've) taken care of everything. But I also have what I believe is the dreaded oil leak and perhaps the beginnings of a transfer case issue. I've posted pics already of the oil leak in another post. When the SA called today to tell me I was good to go, I was happy but speculative. It has only been about 10 days so far in the shop (had to order a part and get the bumper repainted). I asked him what had all been done to it, but there was no mention of the oil leak. When asked about it, the SA asked for more info and my pictures. They also couldn't replicate the hard shift into 2nd. I suppose I'll have to drive with a tech when I go to pick her up.

We talked about this when I dropped it off, though... which is why he ordered a MPI. So did they do an MPI? Did they see the saturated undercarriage and just ignore it? Could I have been sold a known problem child?

There is also bilateral saturation of the undercarriage behind the suspected oil leak. Are they lazy? Are they negligent? Am I getting played for the fool? My CPO is good until mid-2022, but I don't want to have to have her in the shop more than I drive her, y'know?

I want to feel like this was a good decision, but the service so far is leaving me wanting more.

What are your thoughts?

See less See more
#3 Ā·
just had my 17 its with 20k to my local shop who I trust for years for 20k service...called me and told me about the oil leak....I called the dealership where I got car and who knows my mechanic personally.. when told of oil leak he says "never heard of it ever in a Macan" also says if no oil leak when brought in a 300 dollar diagnostic charge will be charged to me... I call my mechanic to tell him basically that his friend at dealership doesn't think you know what you are doing...he says when is appointment I tell him and he says he will meet me there 8am in morning .... day comes and I get there before him the service manager is like so not interested until my mechanic shows up and he is dumbfounded and his whole demeanor changes...well needless to say two plus weeks and 10k worth or repair and three pages of parts my car is leak free... the timing cover bolts sheered off and whole engine and drive train needed to be taken out of car...2k miles on their loaner and a snow storm ... I said when picked up come to this forum and see that never is a big word....dont be satisfied with no results...keep pushing and good luck

#6 Ā·
Soon after I made my appointment to get my bumper repainted, sunscreen replaced, hard shifting into 2nd situation checked, and ā€œpossibleā€ oil leak taken care of (the latter two for which a multi-point inspection (MPI) was ordered on the sheet I signed) on my ā€™17 GTS CPO, I received a confirmation e-mail and a day-before confirmation voicemail from my local Porsche service department. When I arrived bright and early for my appointment, the SA (SA1) had nothing in his system indicating Iā€™d be there and requested said confirmation e-mail (which I provided). Knowing it was going to be a long process, and as promised by my sales agent, a loaner had been reservedā€¦ or so I thought. It was not ready for me then. What I received as a loaner was a filthy base model that had to be rushed to me. That wasnā€™t really a big deal, as I needed something to drive, right?

A week-and-a-half later, I got a VM from SA1 telling me my car was ready. I asked him what had been done when I returned the call and was told the sunscreen was replaced, the bumper repainted, and, since they couldnā€™t replicate the shifting problem, I should take a ride with a tech in order to confirm. When I asked about the oil problem, SA1 said he had no clue what I was talking about. I reminded him about the MPI and resent pictures of said oil problem. He said heā€™d get back to me.

Later that afternoon, SA1 said they thought it was a ā€œsloppy oil changeā€ and that they could not find a leak. They placed a dye into the oil, and they would make another appointment with me in two weeks to see if it was, indeed, a leak. I left a voicemail saying that I would be in the next morning to pick my car up (frankly, I was really missing the PASM in my GTS, as my back had been taking a beating from the base model springsā€¦ but I digress).

When I showed up, I asked to see what had been done on the car, seeking to have it put on a lift. SA2, who got to me first because SA1 was with another customer, stated that there were other cars in the shop and that request could prove difficult. I asked him if the owners of the other cars on those lifts were currently there. Soon my GTS was on the lift.
They showed me where they had cleaned the undercarriage of all the oil from their ā€œsloppy oil change,ā€ and I asked about the other two areas of saturation on the bilateral areas at mid-undercarriage. The techs informed me that this is from wax being applied near the AC run-offs. That seems plausible, given itā€™s on both sides at the same places. (Have any of you heard of this wax? Do any of you have the same saturation marks in your undercarriage covers that can be attributed to this wax?)

I told the SA2 that I would see him in two weeks to see what the dye reveals, and he told me that I should at least give it a month. I told him that he and SA1 should figure out the time difference because there was some obvious discrepancy and went back into the waiting area. I told SA1 what SA2 suggested, and he gave me the line that SA1 had been out for several days, so they werenā€™t on the same page. What that has to do with the requisite timing to determine an oil leakā€¦ They eventually agreed that two weeks would be enough.
Then, as it was a rainy day, I asked them after they lowered the GTS to let me see the paint job. SA2 told me that they only had shop rags in the shop and the microfiber detail towels were in the detail shop across the street. (internal fuming intensified) I was nearing the end of my rope for a Wednesday morning, so I told them not to worry about it and just bring the car around so I could transfer my stuff from the loaner.

After I got everything transferred from the loaner back to my GTS, the tech handed me my key, missing one side of my (notably) aftermarket, carbon fiber key cover. I told him that was unacceptable, and they needed to find the missing piece. He returned a few minutes later with the missing piece, but, alas, it didnā€™t stay on as it once had like the OEM matte black piece. (Again, notably) As part of my CPO sales agreement, I received leather covers for both my keys, which I had used since ownership; Iā€™m conscious of my keysā€™ conditions, as I see that as an indication of ownership pride and care. SA1 looked at it, and apparently not realizing that keys are highly customizable, as I had switched the silver outliner on the key (yā€™all know what Iā€™m talking about) to an unvarnished black piece, as well, told me that I was not in possession of a factory keyā€¦ one of the same keys that they had given to me upon purchase not two months earlier). I let SA1 know that I replaced the OEM pieces with aftermarket pieces and that my key was really a Porsche key. Another sales advisorā€”who had originally leased my GTS by the wayā€”came up to inspect the discrepancy, claiming that the aftermarket piece I had bought was a cheap, plastic one, scoffing at what I told him I paid for it ($70 on Amazon). This is beside the point. Maybe I got gypped by Amazon, but that is between them and me. (They gave me back a broken but previously well-functioning key cover, and I was not happy.) Eventually, this was solved by my original sales advisor offering full reimbursement for a replacement, so Iā€™m good in this aspect, I guess.

The final straw was when I was almost ready to leave. I removed the paper floorboard protectors and noticed that my car had not been vacuumed. This is a seemingly innocuous transgression. It was raining and not a big deal in and of itself, save for the fact that on my service paperwork it stated that the car had been washed and vacuumed. I almost left but thought better of it. I went back inside the waiting area and asked SA1 to come check out the GTS. I asked him if it looked like my car had been vacuumed, and he obviously said, no. I told him my concern was not that the car had not been vacuumed but was focused on the fact that their paperwork said that it had been.
If my Porsche service department is going to pencil whip the paperwork on the simple things, what can I truly believe about the other actions they put down on the same document. Did they really check for an oil leak? Did they really put dye in the oil to detect a potential leak? Did they really take it out to see if they could replicate the hard shift into 2nd? The bottom line is that I can trust them at their word.

I purchased into the Porsche brand fully expecting quality service to follow and abide by PNAā€™s reputation. Am I left the fool? Does this only happen to CPO purchaserā€™s? Or does the guy who had his beautiful 911 Turbo up on the rack when I was there get subjected to the same sub-par service? Of note, I came from Audi, which had excellent customer service. If I wanted to be treated like everyday Joe, I would have bought a domestic.

Whatā€™s further is that there was some sort of reside left on my CF steering wheel. I havenā€™t even informed them of this, but I did take a picture for future reference. I also made an appointment for two weeks after to check the oil dye, asked for a confirmation e-mail, re-requested a confirmation e-mail a day later, but have yet to receive a confirmation e-mail for my next appointment.

Cā€™mon, manā€¦

#8 Ā·
I purchased into the Porsche brand fully expecting quality service to follow and abide by PNAā€™s reputation. Am I left the fool? Does this only happen to CPO purchaserā€™s? Or does the guy who had his beautiful 911 Turbo up on the rack when I was there get subjected to the same sub-par service? Of note, I came from Audi, which had excellent customer service. If I wanted to be treated like everyday Joe, I would have bought a domestic.
I think you're conflating the brand "Porsche" with a privately owned dealership. You are in Hawaii? One dealer. Yelp reviews https://www.yelp.com/biz/porsche-hawaii-honolulu Looks good for buying, mostly one star for service. Service and Sales are usually two different departments of the dealer. I suggest go to your local PCA, talk to them, find out the best local independent shop. They will know the good places. There is nothing that says you have to have service work done at the dealer. @RJMcInnis used to be in Hawaii. Maybe he knows.

#7 Ā·
Wow geauxldrush that is very very poor service. It seems for some reason they don't care about proper customer service.

#9 Ā·
The problem OP has that as far as I know warranty work needs be done at the dealership. For everything else they won't see me again either. Found an independent shop (PCA sponsor) that is light years more competent for 2/3 the price. Don't get a Porsche loaner but that's the only downside really.

#10 Ā·
Wow!!! This is really disappointing. I have no knock on the wood but in 4 years of owning my Macan the service at my local dealer has been impeccable. The SA I always talk there is great and very responsive. Now that my car is out of warranty I will shop around to compare prices if I need service and through my research it looks like there are some very reputable independent shops here that I could use if dealer quotes me something insane. I fell bad for you since you might not have many options in Hawaii.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.