Porsche Macan Forum banner

Steering wheel moaning

31K views 104 replies 57 participants last post by  albysub 
#1 Ā·
Occasional groan from steering wheel column

Ok I don't know what to call it. Is it a low whine or groan...

My S has about 1000mi and I'm noticing an occasional... uh... noise from the steering column during hard steering at low speeds, like pulling out of a parking space.

This is almost always when the car is still relatively cold.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know what it might be?

Reactions: Gitana
#79 Ā·
about 3000 miles and 4 months later, my steering is still quiet after the dealer lubricated it once.

#80 Ā·
Steering moan and vibration

I have not seen a similar thread so wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue. I have a 17 Macan GTS (March'17 build) and have developed a steering moan and associated vibration on the steering. The noise can be heard at idle without any steering movement and at slow speeds. I initially thought this was the AC compressor, but regardless of AC status you can still hear and feel the vibration. It goes away if I turn off the ventilation/fan off.

This issue developed about two months ago around the same time I had the steering wheel lubricated for the groaning noise associated with steering turns. Current issue sounds like it is coming from the area in the engine behind the steering, but no steering movement is required. Has anyone experienced or heard of something similar? Any ideas are much appreciated!

#84 Ā·
Do yall know where the dealership is lubing the stuff? Mine makes it too and if it's in and out 10 minutes it seems like it's easy to access.

I'm out of warranty so going to the dealer isnt an option so I can only do DIY

#85 Ā·
Youā€™re not hearing things: my wifeā€™s Macan did the same thing. She took it in a couple times. On the second visit they tightened something in the steering and had to re-lube the steering and front end. It seems to have gone away now, but time will tell.

#86 Ā·
Steering Moan

At slow speeds I'm getting a moaning sound every time I turn the steering wheel. I guess I need to have it checked out. :(

* * * * *​

Thanks for combining the threads. I totally missed the older one. :)

I'll try the various tips that other people have given.

#90 Ā·
You're holding it too tightly. Be more gentle..... Get in touch with your feminine side....?

#93 Ā·
That video is the well documented, steering column squeak. Many threads on that here @ MF.
Porsche will replace the intermediate shaft. Ask them to lube the new shaft every place anything rubs on anything BEFORE they install the new shaft. They may try to get you to accept a quick lube of the old shaft, in place, since it cost them virtually $0.
This fix WILL NOT LAST.

Reactions: mplgaus and ABusLux
#95 Ā·
Itā€™s very hard to explain the sound Iā€™m hearing, it happens when accelerating and most apparent in 3rd gear. The noise sounds similar to air being let out of tires. I drove another Macan base and I can hear it ever so slightly in the other one but itā€™s much more apparent in mine. Anyone have any clue what Iā€™m talking about?

#98 Ā·
Does your Macan have ventilated seats? Is the fan button for that feature switched on?

Does you Macan have the air suspension (AS) option? Is some air line leaking?

Is your Macan's a/c switched on?

Are there any fans switched to the high setting?

...a hissing noise, huh?

...and you don't have tinnitus, correct?

Most puzzling. How about using your phone and making & uploading a recording?

#100 Ā·
Occasional groan from steering wheel column

Ok I don't know what to call it. Is it a low whine or groan...

My S has about 1000mi and I'm noticing an occasional... uh... noise from the steering column during hard steering at low speeds, like pulling out of a parking space.

This is almost always when the car is still relatively cold.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know what it might be?
I had same thing and dealer took care of it. It was under warranty since it it is a recall.

#101 Ā·
Steering Shaft Moan, TSB, etc.:

I had my '18 S in the shop this week for a valve cover leak (posted at Oil Leaks), but also wanted the dealership to fix the occasional low-speed steering column moan. I had reported this problem to them a time or two before, during oil-change visits, but this time I was very insistent that they actually take care of it.

In any event, they took care of it this time, apparently for real. Here is the invoice, and the bottom of the first page notes this repair (and the mileage is off by a thousand -- it should read 48,986, not 49,986 -- which I pointed out to them, by phone, when I got home):

Further, and advanced DIYers may find this useful, they attached this TSB to my receipt. I scanned it in, as a four-page, 6+ MB, PDF download. The opening page starts with this:

That's my report.

Attachments

#102 Ā·
My steering wheel shaft was replaced during the warranty period. A few years later I feel itā€™s starting to make faint noise again.

#104 Ā·
Hi, have a 2015 porsche macan. Recently have a bad groaning noise coming from front driver side wheel when turn steering. Groaning Noise is there all the time when turn steering, whether car is stationary or moving. No noise when going straight, only get noise when turn steering. Any advice would be very helpful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.