QC? And the Macan is falling apart - Page 4 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

According to US News, "The 2018 Porsche Macan has an above-average reliability rating of 3.5 out of five from J.D. Power. The average rating for all vehicles is a three out of five. Only the 2018 BMW X4 bests the Macanís reliability in the luxury compact SUV segment."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)

@MDJAK is not a rookie having owned like 5 Porsche's in four years. Just sayin....

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3385 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Don't feed the trolls.
I don't consider them trolls. People with a problem with their car will seek solace in complaining to other owners of the same model seeking information that, perhaps, they aren't the only one with the same problem. Or, they could could be just seeking a fix. Nothing is wrong with that. Misery loves company, etc etc etc. Once they find solace or don't, they leave. People come and go all the time and a new wave appears. This is the ebb and flow of any automotive forum. Its just how it works. No, I do not believe they are trolls. That said, of course there are some but the honest people are honestly seeking information of some kind of confirmation.

Got a complaint? File it in the complaint subforum. Obviously, transfer cases seems to be a problem. Is it a "big" problem? Do you see an IMS level class action law suit? When you do, then its a big problem. This article said it all very well back when the Macan was announced:

Avoidable Contact: Cayenne won’t help ya, Cayenne won’t do you no good.

"... the cheaper the car, and/or the bigger the market, the higher the expectations. There’s a reason that you can buy a Cayenne Turbo S for $15,000 against an original MSRP of $143,000 just seven or eight years after it leaves Leipzig: it doesn’t meet expectations. The man who spent six figures on the Cayenne Turbo S can afford to take that loss, but his more modestly-accomplished younger brother can’t afford to take the same hit on his Macan. If you want to play in the mass market, you need to bring mass market skills to bear. There’s no evidence that Porsche has those skills. Which means that they will eventually fail, and they will fail on a scale from which there is no recovery.

I could be wrong. The Macan could be a tremendous success and it could be so well-built and reliable that it creates an entirely new generation of loyal buyers who can’t wait to buy the Porsche sports cars as companion pieces."

It seems to me they have succeeded. Sales continue to boom. There are no class action lawsuits that I know of for quality.

Last edited by grim; 07-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Garage

Premium brand.
Premium expectations.

But really, it's the car business.

Build and assemble, from the most cost effective source you can.
And charge what the market will bear.
Dkayak likes this.

Mid Life crisis?
NO... it's been pretty constant.
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
What were the symptoms you noticed?
Do you have a thread on this issue?
Search in the forum. There are multiple threads about this.

You will get an engine error message and no turbo boost.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)

2017 GTS 34K miles, no problems.
Sincity and macanmark like this.
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Cross post from another thread from @sergeyb horror story.

I owned a Macan Turbo (first Porsche, very excited to have been able to buy one) for two short months. I've owned BMW, Audi, Volvo, Porsche, and (now) Land Rover - and I can say is without a doubt the Porsche was the most disappointing experience out of all.

I had driveline slop and jerkiness like you wouldn't believe. Have a friend with a Macan S and another with a Macan GTS - neither of their vehicles exhibited anywhere near the driving characteristics mine did. Porsche kept telling me mine was normal. Multiple dealerships. So, I did the exact same thing thing @Finerthings did and ditched the Macan Turbo. Picked up a 2018 Range Rover Sport (not known for their reliability...I'm aware) which, so far apart from a few minor initial quality issues (trim pieces not lining up completely, bad light strip, etc all fixed by dealer) has been flawless...knock on wood. The ride is serene, smooth, silent, and best of all - the transmission knows exactly what it's doing. Some will argue that yes, indeed the transmission will be different since I traded a PDK for a torque converter box in the Rover. Sure - I get that. But I drove the Audi S-Tronic for years and loved it compared to the sloppy, loose, clunky, loud, banging shifts I got out of my Macan Turbo. Porsche seems to have a serious QC issue with the Macan driveline - some are perfect, others are so bad the owners (like finerthings and myself) are forced to find alternatives.

I wanted to love the Macan, I really really did. Maybe I'll give Porsche another shot later on down the line with the 2019 Cayenne (once the teething issues are worked out) or a 911. But for me, for now - Land Rover it is.

Also - the difference in customer service and attention to detail exhibited at the Land Rover dealer is leaps and bounds beyond anything I experienced at multiple Porsche dealers. I know all dealers are different, but it seems Land Rover knows how to treat their customers.

There are horror stories for all makes and models, I however am happy to have moved on to something I look forward to driving instead of dreading riding the bucking bronco that was my Macan.

Not a troll here, just a regular consumer who bought an item that didn't perform anywhere near advertised.
Tayden10, azinn, sergeyb and 3 others like this.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcon08 View Post
Cross post from another thread from @sergeyb horror story.

I owned a Macan Turbo (first Porsche, very excited to have been able to buy one) for two short months. I've owned BMW, Audi, Volvo, Porsche, and (now) Land Rover - and I can say is without a doubt the Porsche was the most disappointing experience out of all.

I had driveline slop and jerkiness like you wouldn't believe. Have a friend with a Macan S and another with a Macan GTS - neither of their vehicles exhibited anywhere near the driving characteristics mine did. Porsche kept telling me mine was normal. Multiple dealerships. So, I did the exact same thing thing @Finerthings did and ditched the Macan Turbo. Picked up a 2018 Range Rover Sport (not known for their reliability...I'm aware) which, so far apart from a few minor initial quality issues (trim pieces not lining up completely, bad light strip, etc all fixed by dealer) has been flawless...knock on wood. The ride is serene, smooth, silent, and best of all - the transmission knows exactly what it's doing. Some will argue that yes, indeed the transmission will be different since I traded a PDK for a torque converter box in the Rover. Sure - I get that. But I drove the Audi S-Tronic for years and loved it compared to the sloppy, loose, clunky, loud, banging shifts I got out of my Macan Turbo. Porsche seems to have a serious QC issue with the Macan driveline - some are perfect, others are so bad the owners (like finerthings and myself) are forced to find alternatives.

I wanted to love the Macan, I really really did. Maybe I'll give Porsche another shot later on down the line with the 2019 Cayenne (once the teething issues are worked out) or a 911. But for me, for now - Land Rover it is.

Also - the difference in customer service and attention to detail exhibited at the Land Rover dealer is leaps and bounds beyond anything I experienced at multiple Porsche dealers. I know all dealers are different, but it seems Land Rover knows how to treat their customers.

There are horror stories for all makes and models, I however am happy to have moved on to something I look forward to driving instead of dreading riding the bucking bronco that was my Macan.

Not a troll here, just a regular consumer who bought an item that didn't perform anywhere near advertised.
itís one thing to have a problem like that, but itís inexcusable when multiple dealers try to tell you that there is no problem with your car when there obviously is.

To bad your frustration level got to the point that you felt the need to dump the car. Obviously you felt you had a problem car on your hands. Thankfully problems that serious are not widespread with the Macan. Of course that doesnít help you because all that really matters to you is the one car that you had.
sergeyb likes this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Had my 2015 47000
Very few issues

Have my 2018 9000 Mikeís
Havenít been back to dealer
macanmark likes this.
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Search in the forum. There are multiple threads about this.

You will get an engine error message and no turbo boost.
Are you talking about this thread:
https://www.macanforum.com/forum/com...wer-boost.html

Nothing about tire shine causing any issues.

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF
2019 Carrera 2S
2000 Jaguar XJ8