47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Exclamation A lesson for those refusing to add mudflaps

This is a cautionary tale for those of you that own a Macan in regions that primarily use SAND rather than salt or other solutions during the winter months. I personally reside in Newfoundland, Canada which spends the better part of the winter hovering around freezing so salt just washes away.. we use a coarse sand mixture instead.

I received my 2017 Macan GTS in late 2016 and without getting into a whole lot of specifics the road salt/sand mixture used in my area promptly destroyed the paint on the lower half of my car. Basically every panel from the center of the front wheels to the back, including the doors was heavily damaged. My Carbon Fiber Sideblades look like garbage and the underneath of the back bumper had practically no paint left directly behind the wheels.

All this damage occurred in less than 2,000 miles of almost entirely highway driving. How do I know this? I had the local Audi dealership detail my car prior to the winter settling in and there was ZERO damage at that time. 2,000 miles later when I arrived at the Porsche dealership the paint was destroyed.

Now I live in a province of Canada that is over 1,000 miles away from the nearest Porsche dealer, so there are only a handful of owners here. Unfortunately, Iím not familiar with the other two Macan owners in the province (That isnít sarcasm, thereís only 3 of us) so Iím not sure if anyone else here has this issue.

I took the car into the dealership in early in 2017 where they took pictures and forwarded them to Porsche but my warranty claim was denied. The cost of these repairs was originally estimated at $12,000CAD ($9,000USD) and no one was eager to solve this for me.
Someone recommended I call 1-800-Porsche and let them know how disappointed I was.. I was assigned a person that would take care of my complaint and Iím happy to say that she did a fantastic job advocating for me. In the end, Porsche agreed to pay the bulk of the repair cost and acknowledged the problem!

For the record, I own several vehicles including Audiís and never had issues hereÖ In fact my other cars all look great! I believe the problem is the design of the Macan and thefact I have the 21Ē wheels. That, combined with the crazy ďstickyĒ quality of Porsche approved rubber just made for the perfect storm against my paint.

Iíve got my repaired car back now with 3M covering every painted surface below the knees, plus Iíve added mud flaps I found on Amazon.

Attached is a picture of the worst damage.. This was taken immediately after I had cleaned and detailed the car to show the extent of the problem. You can still see some wax residue around the factory plastic but otherwise the white spots traveling up the door are damage.. I think itís the primer! Porsche puts that little piece of plastic in the corner of the rear door because thatís where the bulk of the damage is expected, but sand can wreck a whole lot more than that!

Long story short Ė A car with mudflaps looks a whole lot better than a car with paint damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170622_151748145_iOS.jpg (202.6 KB, 909 views)
Jshore, NC TRACKRAT and Bushfoot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)

Sorry to see that happen to such a beautiful colored Macan.

I was fortunate that I moved from the Northeast State of CT to sunny South Carolina, we don't worry about road sand and salt down here, just bad drivers.

I do not think even 3M wrap in clear would have saved your paint.

Such a shame !!!

2017 Macan GTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2019 Boxster GTS - Atlanta PEC Delivery ON 12/12/2018

2019 GMC Denali 2500HD L5P Diesel
2009 Corvette/ZR1-3ZR Atomic Orange - 1 of 35 made
2013/427/Convertible Corvette-60th Anniversary

2014 Harley Davidson CVO Breakout - 110 cid
1968 Chevelle Malibu - Work in Progress
2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Diesel - SOLD
2015 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited - 103 cid SOLD
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)

Are those bigger tires physically wider than the 19s that I have on my S (currently running 18" rims with snow tires)?

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage

No idea if the tires are significantly wider @wspollack , but if you get 21" wheels from the factory Porsche adds additional guards at the top of the wheel well.. so there must be something different.

There's been some debate in the forums over the paint Porsche uses and if it's softer.. My Audi's and GMs show *zero* damage like this and the Macan is my newest car with the least miles on it.. :/

Also, I wanted to make sure people that order the CF Sideblades spend a few extra bucks and have them wrapped in 3M. They actually look even better when wrapped and it will keep them looking great.
wspollack likes this.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)

Thanks for the additional info. I was just curious.
Icepikker likes this.

Cheers,

Bill P.

2018 Macan S (Delivered at PEC in October 2017, gallery at
)
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Thumbs down Same problem, same color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoshi View Post
.... Attached is a picture of the worst damage.. This was taken immediately after I had cleaned and detailed the car to show the extent of the problem.
OMG. I just purchased a CPO vehicle, 2015 Turbo, 21" wheels, 15k miles. I just had it detailed and noticed the EXACT SAME THING.
Major bummer. The car was driven in the Washington DC metro area, so yes they do use a sand/salt/brine mixture on the roads around here. I will give 1-800- Porsche a call. I think this is a defective paint issue, maybe this specific Sapphire Metallic color. Who knows...
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

I warned of this some time back and suggested that the 21 inch wheels make the situation worse. My wife initially protested the mud flaps but, after having them on for over a year, it's minimized the damage, nevertheless will continue to be a problem, more so just aft of the front wheels. It's not attributed to a specific color but the darker, the more noticeable. BTW, Ridgerunner 0207, check out your paint closely around the rocker panels. I'm betting you have the "rash", too. SC is very sandy. Every Macan owner will have it to a greater or lesser extent and it's because of the body design.

2015 Macan Turbo-Black w/Black&Garnet Red vented leather, 21" Turbo Wheels w/Colored Porsche Crests, Premium Pkg. Plus, Sport Chrono Pkg., H&R Lowering Springs

PCA/BMW CCA Nationally Certified HPDE Instructor
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)

Mine has a similar damage too but not as bad as OP. Initially, I thought it was dirt that need extra cleaning but later I realized the clear coat is like 'sandblasted' damaged.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

@NC TRACKRAT Do you recall which mudflaps you bought, and where? After doing a google search, and checking what's available on Amazon, I could not find an obvious choice or "winner" for the turbo. Thanks in advance for any info.
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage

First off, any mudflap set you buy will require you to drill and screw them in.. This is true even with VW/Audi's and the dealer supplied Mud flaps.. so don't panic when you see screws... but consider getting your dealer to install them.

These are the set of flaps I went with. They blend in quite nicely and fit well. They are made of a very stiff plastic and have 'Macan' etched on the back in the factory font.

"ZMAUTOPARTS 15 Porsche Macan Mud Flaps Splash Guards Mudguard 4Pcs Front+Rear Combo Set"

Pictures attached were taken after I installed the flaps, but before the paint was repaired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170905_170705405_iOS.jpg (309.2 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg 20170905_170656439_iOS.jpg (259.5 KB, 313 views)
Trued likes this.