User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Default Installing a Stealth Hitch on my GTS

I have to admit that I don't like the look of a hitch on the back of a Macan, and I wasn't planning on hauling anything when I bought mine, so my GTS did not have one.

But when my oldest son went to college in August, I wished I had one to help him carry more stuff instead of having to drive there in two cars.

And now, he wanted me to help him come back for the Christmas break and bring his motorcycle back home.

For that reason I started looking for options and decided to give Stealth hitches a try. Their design looked good, they were very reasonably priced, and on top of that, had a 10% discount coupon going on, so I decided to give it a shot.

I got the package and read the very long and detailed instructions, and prepared to have all the tools I needed. Also a good excuse to finally buy a torque wrench for my toolbox

Well, here are some pictures that I took along the way and some comments of the installation and some tips:

First of all, the instructions are indeed very good. There is only one pair of screws that may be new on the 2017's or on the GTS that did not show up on the instructions, but they were too obvious to miss, right next to the rear lights, on what seems like a round rubber bumper on each side of the vehicle.

Removing nearly all the contents of the trunk is easy, but I wanted to take pictures of each part I took out, along with taping the corresponding screws to the pieces I was removing. Simple enough.

Have to admit that you get a funny feeling, like you are going to break something when you start pulling the bumper back, until it clicks and unclips from the body. Since you are not supposed to remove the wiring, I had to setup the bumper at 90 degrees on the right of the Macan (where the wiring is attached to the vehicle) and held the bumper vertically and out of the way with the help of a ladder. Note that the aluminum core is still on the vehicle.

Then you have to remove the aluminum core from the rear, and this is what it looks like without it:

Interesting thing is that inner core of the bumper is removed using 4 screws that are accessible from within the trunk. For some reason I thought I would have to get under the vehicle, but that was not the case.

Here it is with the hitch positioned in place. You have to replace the original screws with high-strength ones included in the package. In my case, for some reason I could only get 3 out of 4 screws in no matter what I did, until I realized that somehow one of the holes in the hitch was not right where it needed to be. I called Stealth Hitches and spoke with Steve and he said that if I wanted to try to enlarge the hole a little bit that would solve the problem, or that he could send me a replacement hitch. i decided to wait no longer and used my Dremel to enlarge the hole. Problem solved.

After routing the electrical connector, and installing the wires (very easy to do, and very well illustrated in the instructions), it was time to re-assemble the whole thing.

This is what it looks like now with the hitch installed:

And with the hitch removed: You can’t tell that there is a hitch back there at all !!!

Finally, here is a picture of what it looks like if you look up behind the rear bumper: it has sleeve to activate the spring-loaded latch, and a round security key to lock the receiver in place.

All in all, a fun project to do, and better yet, I won’t have to rent a U-Haul truck any more…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 911 Carrera T: GT Silver / Black Leather interior with T - Pkg,w/ Red Dev. Stitching / 7 SP Manual / Rear Axle Steering / Front Axle Lift / Sport Chrono / Heated GT St. Wheel / Leather Int. Pkg / Leather St. Column w/ Dev. Stitching / Shifter Boot w/Dev. Stitching / 4-Way Seats / Bose / LCA / Auto Dim.Mirrors / Alu. Gas Cap / LED Headlights w/PDLS+ / Tinted Taillights / Glass Sunroof / Heated Seats / Voice Control / Bose / Model Des. Delete / 911_T Badges.

Previous: 2017 Macan GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)

Alex, another great post. Thanks for sharing.
alex_c likes this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Thanks for the detailed post! I've been looking into adding one so that I can attach a bike rack. My only concern is removal of the bumper cover. I though if that was done then the parking sensors had to be re-calibrated?
alex_c likes this.

2016 Macan S
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
Thanks for the detailed post! I've been looking into adding one so that I can attach a bike rack. My only concern is removal of the bumper cover. I though if that was done then the parking sensors had to be re-calibrated?

Hi. Nothing needs to be recalibrated as you never disconnect any of the sensors or cables. The whole bumper pulls out with all the sensors still attached. That is why I had to hold/prop the bumper (still connected by a wire to my car) using a ladder right next to the car.

The installation takes about 4 hours, but it is not difficult at all. Just a lot of screws, clips, etc.

I love how stealth this is and the high quality of the parts.

Cheers!

Mags likes this.

2018 911 Carrera T: GT Silver / Black Leather interior with T - Pkg,w/ Red Dev. Stitching / 7 SP Manual / Rear Axle Steering / Front Axle Lift / Sport Chrono / Heated GT St. Wheel / Leather Int. Pkg / Leather St. Column w/ Dev. Stitching / Shifter Boot w/Dev. Stitching / 4-Way Seats / Bose / LCA / Auto Dim.Mirrors / Alu. Gas Cap / LED Headlights w/PDLS+ / Tinted Taillights / Glass Sunroof / Heated Seats / Voice Control / Bose / Model Des. Delete / 911_T Badges.

Previous: 2017 Macan GTS
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Garage

Very nice post. I was looking into this solution a few weeks back, when I saw their ad, and if I ever need a tow hitch, I will definitely look for this (if they have a distributor in Europe, that is).
alex_c likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
The installation takes about 4 hours, but it is not difficult at all. Just a lot of screws, clips, etc.
Wow - great post! I am impressed by your DIY skills.

I was considering a hitch for bike racks and such. However, if I attempted this project I'm likely to encounter frustration, swearing, vehicle damage, blood, and eventual call to a pro installer. Which leads me to my question- what would be an estimate to have this installed - $500? More?
alex_c likes this.

2018 Porsche Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Sports Chrono, and lots of nice options.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Quote:
Hi. Nothing needs to be recalibrated as you never disconnect any of the sensors or cables. The whole bumper pulls out with all the sensors still attached. That is why I had to hold/prop the bumper (still connected by a wire to my car) using a ladder right next to the car.

I love how stealth this is and the high quality of the parts.

Cheers!

Ok I see now. The recalibration is only needed if something is disconnected. I wasn't sure because the dealer just replaced one of the marker/reverse LED modules on my S, and it required bumper removal and sensor recalibration.

2016 Macan S
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage

Great post and info! I love it!

Q: Are you actually replacing the alum. core with the new hitch piece (black horizontal steel-looking piece in the later picture)? What happened to the alum. core?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
I have to admit that I don't like the look of a hitch on the back of a Macan, and I wasn't planning on hauling anything when I bought mine, so my GTS did not have one.

But when my oldest son went to college in August, I wished I had one to help him carry more stuff instead of having to drive there in two cars.

And now, he wanted me to help him come back for the Christmas break and bring his motorcycle back home.

For that reason I started looking for options and decided to give Stealth hitches a try. Their design looked good, they were very reasonably priced, and on top of that, had a 10% discount coupon going on, so I decided to give it a shot.

Hey Alex,

First of all thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us! I am about to order the Stealth hitch kit just because you are the only one who explained very well!

I want to ask you something! I will only use to pull my jetski with this kit, I will use 4 pin connector . I am wondering which wire kit did you get? There is 2 option. First one is Stealth wiring, the second one is Active?

Is Active meaning the one comes with the factory that needs to be programmed by dealer?

And If I get the Stealth one is that still going to eliminate the parking sensor beeps after the trailer is attached?

Edit : I just saw the answers of my question at the end of the page on stealth website. But I still want to know which wiring kit did you get it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer_connectors-0017-2.jpg (54.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by sangria; 10-29-2018 at 11:49 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I bought the Macan for two reasons, firstly I couldn't get a new model S4 Avant and more importantly I wanted a Hitch for a bike rack. I use to think it didn't look bad but have to admit this solution is slick. Nice work