Porsche Macan Forum banner

3 Zone Climate Control retrofit...

30K views 66 replies 12 participants last post by  Blk_T 
#1 ·
Available at Suncoast...
Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Rear Console Vent Upgrade

f your Macan didn't come with the 3-Zone climate control system, then the rear passenger compartment has very little ventilation. Floor mounted vents are all that cools/heats the rear passenger compartment. With this upgrade, you can open your Macan's ventilation system and allow for a centrally mounted air vent on the center console for better circulation.
This upgrade is ideal for 2014-2015 Macan models without rear air conditioning vents. This is not a Porsche approved upgrade, just a fix to a common concern. Professional installation recommended. Must be special ordered.
NOTE: Rear temperature fan switch will not function. This upgrade will add rear center console vents only, activating any electrical functions is not possible.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry. I should have talked more. I think Macan is small enough that you don't need separate vents, especially in U.S where you get tinted windows standard. I am fine with factory option, if you think you need it but I don't know that I would do this aftermarket. Just an opinion of course.

#5 ·
I also saw someone on the Hong Kong Macan FB site showing pics of doing that and it's a holy mess. The entire center console needed to be removed. Not sure if that was to access the electrical controls. Not sureiof I want to have major surgery to get something pretty minor like that in.

#6 · (Edited)
Does anyone have links to this retrofit? I had no problem in the past removing center consoles to get to shifters. But always nice to have someone else try the change first.

EDIT: combing through other posts and found the below (created summary)
Center connecting piece 8k0819513E ($13 @ ECS)
Air duct 95B857039A ($45 @ ECS)
air vent 95B819203BG0B ($345 @ Suncoast)

Got a PN of a control unit but not sure if includes needed wiring: 95B907049G (see post below about 95B907049H)

Best thread for general discussion of retrofit: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/interior/42865-3-way-climate-control-retrofit-5.html

Anyone have TSB for center console removal?
Found this helpful post: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/2447150-post2.html

#11 · (Edited)
Center connecting piece 8k0819513E ($13 @ ECS)
Air duct 95B857039A ($45 @ ECS)
air vent 95B819203BG0B ($345 @ Suncoast)

Got a PN of a control unit but not sure if includes needed wiring: 95B907049G (see post below about 95B907049H)

Ok, silly me. The Suncoast $345 is a kit that includes all those parts & even the control unit. (H if needing heated seats or G if not) Pretty decent deal IMO. (given that I was finding quotes of $260 alone for heated seat & Temp switch part)

Edit: Added pics. Also found the plug pigtail on eBay under vw climate control. Wish I had a pinout! Also missing two M4x12 torq bolts to secure the control unit. (does kinda clip in)

Update: Also seems the rear climate option I9AQ has a rotating "valve" for cooling the glove box. PN 3B0816355 vs. static cover for no rear PN 4L0858193

Attachments

#7 ·
So found more info via eBay pictures. Seems that "control unit" is the back of the console vents. The one pictured has the heated seats and cross referencing the picture it seems be a large portion of the vent setup. Wondering how Suncoast part is able to come with the Temp + or -, wonder if it is a hole?

Also attached pic from international thread where they got the retrofit to work. (seems lit)

Attachments

#9 ·
....Seems the Macan service manual would be really useful for disassembly.
You might try looking at the link in this thread for the service manual. I've looked at it, but I haven't spent enough time with it to figure out how to navigate it effectively.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/166822-2015-2016-service-manual.html

Also, post 54 in the following thread has some information on the center console disassembly for the smokers package.....

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/interior/54650-remove-smoking-package-6.html

Reactions: Blk_T
#13 · (Edited)
So Blk_T, are you going to do the conversion?

I'd be interested in seeing a writeup including all of the parts to make it work.

Thank you!

;)

Yeah that is the plan. Trying to figure out the wiring now before opening up the console. I would like to see if I can get the Temp + & - switch functioning.

#14 · (Edited)
So pinout is as follows:

1 Hot all times fused 12V via 15A

2 Ground (GP-23 left of center console)

3 LIn Vehicle -> Pin12 on A connector of AC control (looks to be shared wire with two other sensors)

4 Signal ground (both to pin 4 of R & L seat elements)

5 Right Seat Temp (only for heated seats goes to pin 3 of R seat element)

6 Left Seat Temp (only for heated seats goes to pin 3 of L seat element)

#15 ·
Reading through the service manual and going to try and link the steps (search the PDF for the numbers to find the instructions):

WM 681719 Removing Center Console:
1. Remove gear knob 370419
2. Upper center console removal 681919
3. Remove tray 681619
4. Remove switch console 962719
then follow steps of 681719

Looks like the rear cubby unit just pops out, 683419. Hints how to assemble the Temp + - switch and remove the cubby are in 742619 in the rear seat heat switch instructions.

Not sure if need to remove the selector support, 370819 to get center console out. Ducting diagram is seen on pg.4676 for FYI

Plug is on the way from eBay so I can try to wire up the Temp + - switch.

#16 · (Edited)
Plug arrived. Fits great and I need to add just three wires. Gnd, 12V and LIn line

Kind of trying to figure out how to cleanly do the 12v always on. I could convert the rear Cig adapter by re-wiring some of the trunk terminals and fuse but wondering if that AC Temp module could live with switched 12V or does it need to "communicate" via LIn all the time....

Bought some loom tape for clean install look: Tesa 51608

BTW tried to post earlier but the forum timed out. I did remove the rear of the center console. Move seats up just like in the service manual and give the top a big pull back but slightly up. It will shift and then go work the sides of the lower portion with plastic trim tools to pop the lower ones. Kind of form-fitting on the top area which will be more obvious when you do it youself but just clipped in. The cubby itself needs to be undone from behind with screws.

#17 · (Edited)
So the install is almost complete. Really was looking like a 2/10 until a ran into issues removing the cupholder+storage bin. Overall a 5/10 install with having to deal with short leads and then the lack of space once the center vent tube is in. Read ahead or print out. I assume you know how to remove connectors and will not call out basic ones.

1. Disconnect battery (unless you want to clear a ton of codes)

2. Have a tiny ratchet (like for a bike) on hand. Works well for the 10mm & 13mm center console nuts. Other tools are T20+T25 torx bits, plastic trim tools and soft blanket to lay parts. A tiny flat screwdriver or connector removal tool is recommended along with tiny LED flashlight.

3. Start w above removal of rear of the center console and then also take out the 13mm nuts.

4. I wish I had know to reach under the storage bin at this step and free up the wiring from the metal wall held by a plastic "tie mount"

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
4. Easy now to shift to the top front area and pop off the side front trim starting at fat front. Use trim tool at back ends.

5. Then pop off the shift boot by pulling up. Same with metal trim using plastic trim pry tool.

6. Of course your Macan is already on flat ground with the e-brake on, so shifting into neutral via the yellow shift lock release is ok.

7. Then take off the torx screws and pop the ends, the whole electronic "horseshoe" can be tilted up, out and disconnected. (Take pics of your connectors since # of needed re-connects depends on options)

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
8. At this time I shifted the plastic frame that had the horseshoe capture nuts up-n-out.

9. Remove and save the shift foam surround.

10. Here at this step I took out the 10mm 4x nuts for the shifter. It wanted to fall into the transmission area, so maybe you wait until after the cupholders are out.

11. Use the trim tool to pry the front/rear of cup + center console storage. It is not needed to remove the lid or even those two torx screws. The end of the plastic piece under the lid has these latches. Added pic so don't break em.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
12. So now if you did the disconnect on step #4 the only thing keeping you from getting the cup holder+storage out cleanly is the weird shape of the 12V cig plug extension. You just kind of keep muscling it up and it will come out. (this was the longest most difficult step for me and on re-install)

13. With the slack of wiring you created you can now tackle the difficult USB and 3.5mm jack connections. They need both sides carefully released to get the plugs.

14. Ok rad. You just did all the steps for a center console swap as you remove the 4x 10mm nuts around the shift unit. Might want to hold on the shift piece during that step. It wants to fall into the transmission area. I assume you can somehow hold the shifter, lift the console and place one 10mm back on. (in theory)

15. Anyways your center console is now free and can be carefully removed assuming again you have freedom to shift the gear unit back or it already kind of feel down so got nice room now.

16. Center duct just like drops into the console from the bottom. (ebay example)

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
17. So guess what now, I'm not taking apart my PCM and dash + vents and all sorts of nonsense to get out a plastic redirection piece. Sorry but something else will have to give and it will be your carpet if you follow these instructions. That two zone piece is looking very, very cozy.

18. Time to cut up a perfectly good car in the name of science. I chose a pattern of a large bend to allow for zip tie stitching later.

19. Gently use your new carpet space freedom to guide the two under seat air channels out and to the very sides. (they are really pliable and will recover with massaging but do not get crazy with trying to bend badly)

20. Pull out the POS two zone adapter. Cool looks like real flapper mixers are there.

21. Place your very, very dusty 3 zone adapter into place since no one else is crazy enough to order these parts.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
22. Reshape your original under-seat tubes and check around with your LED flashlight they both expanded back and look sealed well. Bonus points for adding extra foam which the center unit came with.

23. Stitch up that carpet and tuck the big carpet flap under the center channel for a clean attachment when you place in the center console.

24. Make sure the newly added center channel firmly seats itself above the metal prongs in the front. (Later the rear of the duct will be held by the under armrest storage unit tab but I'm ruining some of the magic by telling you)

25. If you are placing the center console back in properly you can see a guide "post" at the front area aligning well. Also your new center vent tube will seal well to the new 3 zone redirection piece.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
I will update some more later. But pretty much just work backwards at this point. You were taking pictures of each step along the way anyways so I don't have to remind you to do that.

Don't forget the shifter foam piece. It goes under the sliding captured nuts. There area no extra plugs when you are done but you might not have every port of the electronic horseshoe filled.

Works really awesome for the airflow when done. My rear console was badly marred and the "storage cubby" thrashed. Which is one of the reasons I wanted to try the retrofit. I am planning to swap that entire plastic rear trim with an updated dual USB charger version. Just looking for something decent on fleabay.

Just one of those retrofits you do on principle. Been in too many minivans as a kid just sweltering or freezing and you beg for "some air". Glad I do not have to alter my own front vents to make it happen now. Really blows like crazy if you close anything in the front and nice the rear can be closed off too.

Attachments

#24 ·
@Blk_T great job on the write up. I was looking forward to attempting this but the vent kit is no longer available.

A day late and a part short.?

#25 ·
@Blk_T great job on the write up. I was looking forward to attempting this but the vent kit is no longer available.

A day late and a part short.&#1 28543;

Really? Did I buy the only kit.....it appears the link from post #1 shows able to add to cart.

Easy to make a kit with eBay as the place to grab the vents then use ECS for the tubing parts.

#27 ·
Outstanding work and excellent post. Well done. Thanks for taking the time to document everything and share with the group. I will add this one to my DIY bookmarks.

#30 ·
At the moment I have pin1 hooked to switched 12V where the diagram calls for always hot 12V. So I need to make that adjustment and another idea was to supply the other signal ground a wire but not sure that will help.

I found that the car does have the ability to "ignore" the rear climate unit via the parental rear lock. So perhaps the unit is always ignore until PIWIS enabled. Time will tell and it's already better to have the functional air in the back. I want also the red/blue Temp switch extra benefit.

Attachments

#31 ·
Success! Just had to tell the car via PIWIS that 3rd zone is installed.

Totally works with the three wires I suggested. (local switched 12v, gnd, then Pin12 on A connector of AC control)

always ignore until PIWIS enabled
:facepalm:

Edit: Adding a picture of how I adjusted the wiring plug. I opened up the connector and adjusted the pins to use the larger yellow for 12v, larger green for gnd and blue signal.

Attachments

#35 ·
Success! Just had to tell the car via PIWIS that 3rd zone is installed.

Totally works with the three wires I suggested. (local switched 12v, gnd, then Pin12 on A connector of AC control)

🤦

Edit: Adding a picture of how I adjusted the wiring plug. I opened up the connector and adjusted the pins to use the larger yellow for 12v, larger green for gnd and blue signal.
[emoji867]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#43 ·
Going to be attempting this soon. Because I already have rear heated seats it seems I already have the wiring for the rear climate so it should just be case of coding with piwis.
Hey Don, Just received my new-to-me ‘15 Macan S which had Premium Plus, but of course no 3-zone. Mine has heated rear seats like yours... Did you need the additional VW wiring pigtail that Blk_T needed? Or was it simply plug and play for the rear controls?

And a big thanks to Blk_T and yourself for posting these up, I knowingly purchased my car as the rear vent install is something I felt I could DIY, as opposed to PASM and ACC :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.