Porsche Macan Forum banner

The Porsche PSE install guide

42K views 85 replies 39 participants last post by  Blk_T 
#1 ·
I was thinking of installing it myself - I'm a gear-head after all.

Ummmmm...not after I read the manual. Not that's it's too difficult but seemed like way too much risk as most of the effort is modifying the electronics (A LOT), not the mechanics. I was surprised that the wiring didn't already exist and it was not a simple plug-in. It's easy to see why it takes 5.5 hours.

Thought some of you may want to see it was well but the forum .PDF file size limit is 20k (I think AOL back in 1985 had a larger limit).

Moderator- can we get that bumped up?

PS- If you want a copy just PM me and I'll email it to you (About a 3MB .PDF)

#48 ·
Parts should be in next week as long as nothing turning up from Porsche as not available/or exclusive The muffler PN are "discontinued" from Porsche probably due to wanting to just have people order the kit PN thus found those used.

Booked shop time with local indy the following week.

#49 · (Edited)
Ran into a snag where the cable for the soundaktor needs to come from Germany. Going to try and see if another place can get that cable in sooner as all the other parts arrive this week.

Besides sourcing the zip ties x25 and 10A fuse not as Porsche parts. The ring eyelet is just a M4 bolt sized ring eye terminal for wire size AWG 18-22 just sub in three parts from auto store or your electronics box.

Pulled from another TSB:
999.650.398.12 Cable shoe, A6-1 - DIN 46225 – (ring eyelet) (Item K)

Also that sealing cord that comes up as like $60 is just to patch up the grommet hole. I bet black RTV or another sticky type patch will work instead. Perhaps black tire plug. EDIT: Found "Black Butyl Seal Tape" on amazon which should be perfect.

Materials called out needed in PSE install TSB: wire loom wrapping tape (subbed Tese brand via amazon) and then 000.043.172.00 sealing cord (9mm sticky plastic that looks just like tire plug material)

Regarding dropping the cost of the soundaktor (pulse sending unit) device, it appears to be used across many different platforms. I sourced a new old stock ending in A vs. D (4H0.907.601.D) but the raised lettering on the body looks identical. I should be OK there since likely just a superseded or different manufacturing run.

Now on the soundaktor control unit, the called out pn in TSB is 8R0.907.159 comes up as Q5 part if looking on eBay. Then in the Macan parts list things get kinda weird. Option code I0P8/I0P9 actually call out control unit PN 8R0.907.160.C with no specified engine pulse sender. The only time the 4H0.907.601.D pulse sender is called out is with option I2HB (interior sound shaker) paired with 8R0.907.159 control unit.

Thus I think I am OK with using the control unit 95B.907.159 (sourced for cheap) which I think it technically a Porsche GTS unit? I mean if Q5 unit is good enough for PSE sounds then I think GTS should be good. I really wonder if the three different part numbers really have any type of different sound profile. I opted for the used Porsche part vs an Audi.

Swapping the parts mentioned helps drive out the Porsche tax. ($15 for sealing tape vs $60, pulse unit $20 vs $120, control unit $45 vs. $330 etc)

Attachments

#55 ·
All the parts are installed, but appears that the after sales service version of PIWIS, V (Agency), cannot activate the PSE module. The clone PIWIS II units have the "development software" which can go into the E (Engineering) mode, which funny enough is only in German, and successfully activate PSE.

So seems I need to visit the dealership to finish the install.:crying:

#58 ·
The after sales PIWIS II is what independent shops pay with with a license. So I need to take my Macan to a dealership to get the PSE activated.

Now the clone PIWIS II hardware is floating around the internet. If really interested you should join MHH Auto forum and read up. Takes a lot of time to setup as far as I can tell and hw is about $600 and no promises that clone hw will last. I haven't felt compelled to go that route.

#60 · (Edited)
So finally done! Just got back from the local dealership (my appointment was scheduled way out) Only charged me 0.5 hours for the coding adjustment and threw in a hand car wash. Sounds so much better with the working valve control and shaker.

I handed them a printout of just the PIWIS II steps. End total w/ unexpected dealership trip still came in around the estimated ~$3.1k

I do see eBay listings where more PSE mufflers are being sold but try and get a set with the tips you want. Otherwise will cost a lot to get those from Porsche. Also try and make sure if buying used that the seller includes enough of the piping attached. The TSB PDF shows where Porsche recommends the clamps to be installed. Luckily the indy shop TIG welded my pipe that got cut down (from original PSE mufflers) to fit into a smaller shipping box.

#68 ·
So finally done! Just got back from the local dealership (my appointment was scheduled way out) Only charged me 0.5 hours for the coding adjustment and threw in a hand car wash. Sounds so much better with the working valve control and shaker.

I handed them a printout of just the PIWIS II steps. End total w/ unexpected dealership trip still came in around the estimated ~$3.1k

I do see eBay listings where more PSE mufflers are being sold but try and get a set with the tips you want. Otherwise will cost a lot to get those from Porsche. Also try and make sure if buying used that the seller includes enough of the piping attached. The TSB PDF shows where Porsche recommends the clamps to be installed. Luckily the indy shop TIG welded my pipe that got cut down (from original PSE mufflers) to fit into a smaller shipping box.
So I purchased a GTS PSE on eBay and put it on my Macan S, can’t really hear the difference!! Valves are constantly open!! Do you think I could take it to porsche and have the program/code it and it might sound like the GTS?? Also I want to install the soundaktor but where do you plug it or wire it too?? I’m stress out that my purchase to save money is actually going to cost me more money now!

#64 ·
Unlike 996 the Macan uses pure electronic valves. I thought the Remus just forked the stock single electronic valve that comes on all Macans? The PSE has two valves, a control unit and an active shaker.

I had the PSE exhaust installed without the control unit activated. I could tell it was louder than the stock exhaust but did not sound great. With the full system activated the "PSE On" mode is excellent and "PSE Off" is quiet/perfect for just driving on the highway or listening to music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.