Porsche Macan Forum banner

Ceramic coating on my 17 GTS

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JamesyTOR 
#1 ·
After about 14 hours of work, I finally finished my (new to me) 2017 GTS. I used Cquartz and put a top coat of Gyeon Skin (I had some left over from my Tesla 3).

The wheels turned out a bit glossy but otherwise, it looks good.

To anyone buying a new car, it takes 1/2 the time to ceramic coat your car when the car is brand new. You don't have to polish and clean it as much as a car that has been driven.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I used the Gyeon ceramic coating on my Tesla. It is as good if not better than Cquartz.

When I took my Macan to the dealer this morning, the SA asked if I had just washed the car. In fact, it has been raining here and I haven't washed it for a week. The car stays amazingly clean.

The coating of the body is straight forward but it's the wheels that take just as much time as the entire vehicle.

BTW, if I can put ceramic coating on a car, anyone can.

#5 ·
Okay, just ordered the Gyeon syncro pro kit from
Estoril along with the trim, rim, and view kits. Estoril has a really great deal combining the Gyeon syncro with some micro fibers, prep spray, and water spot spray for 188, only 9 bucks more for Mf’s and the two sprays.

Does anyone top the coating with additional wax? I would assume not necessary? Going to do Gyeon syncro on GTS and classic mini, and will probably just stick with chemical guys stuff on the A8, not spending the money on it. Great car, good looking, but 180k miles, already have chemical guys waxes, not with it to me on that car.

#7 ·
Got my 21” turbos finished inside and out with the Gyeon rim Coating, waiting to get the car back from the dealer to do the body with Gyeon syncro and the caliper with the Gyeon rim as well.
One little bottle of the rim stuff is more than enough for two sets of wheels and calipers.

Attachments

#8 ·
For all you ceramic people....

I recommend Hydrosilex Recharge to maintain your coating. I live in New Hampshire, and my Macan is my DD, so it gets seriously beat on in the winter. I just gave it a nice clean up and the paint looked absolutely perfect and still had that hard glassy "coated" look that only ceramic can give you. FYI, I had my ceramic professionally installed when the car was new.

#9 ·
I've tried the Hydrosilex and didn't really like it (I've tried an too many different products to count - I never stop falling for all the marketing hype).

The product I've found to work wonders as a top coat on just about anything is Bead Maker. It's inexpensive and easy to use (especially after the first application). It's available on Amazon for $14.44 for a 16oz bottle so as I said, not a big commitment. It will make your paint feel more slick than anything else I've ever tried.

(No affiliation with the product, just a very happy user).

#11 ·
Finally got my GTS done, used Gyeon Syncro. My whole front bumper, half the hood, and mirrors have clear bra, so I was able to do 3 coats of mohs on the Macan and my classic mini, and then did the skin top coat on both as well. Was able to do all jams and the sunroof of the Macan as well. Ton of work leading up to it, but the coating is very easy to apply and goes pretty quick. Can’t wait to see them in the sun tomorrow!
Did some other maintenance on the Macan while at it, oil change, plugs, all wipers, cabin air filter, waiting on my flat 6 intake setup.

Attachments

#14 ·
I had my Q5 done with Opti Coat Pro by a local installer 4 years ago for about $800, it still looks great.
He now charges $1495 for the same 'new car prep' - I doubt I would go for it this time around for a new Macan. I know the prep had him buffing any paint imperfections prior to applying the ceramic coating.
I do the occasional two bucket wash at a buddy's place, I can't wash the car at my place - this has kept the paint looking great for years and avoids swirl marks.
Interesting that everyone here does their own, is it possible to mess up the paint if not applied correctly?

#15 ·
I think there are different grades of ceramic coating. I’m not a professional retailer, but have been doing it for 15 years or more at this point, have worked specifically detailing, etc. I did paint correction on mine, clean, clay, buff out swirls and imperfections, had to wet sand a spot, etc. the gyeon syncro I used is a consumer grade, and it was so easy to use, very user friendly. I think the professional grade requires lamps to cure it? I may be wrong. I don’t see how you could mess up with the ceramic process of following directions. You could definitely mess up with buffing though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.