Advertisement

post #882 of 898 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:46 PM
K-A

Mentioned: 602 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I haven't driven a Macan with air suspension, but I had an M-B with it, and the car felt disconnected. It also required a $15k repair (under warranty). No more Air Suspensions for me. My car doesn't have PASM, and I don't miss it per se, but I would consider that option in the future.
Comparing an MB AS to a Porsche AS is like comparing an MB transmission to a PDK. They both shift gears, but are night and day in performance and applied intention. MB steel suspensions feel extemely disconnected to.
Hokie likes this.

2015 Porsche Macan S SportDesign | White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Tints.

'15 Mazda 3 i Sport.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech/Sport Auto/etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
post #883 of 898 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)

My first test drive on a Macan S was love at first sight. I then took my father to test drive with me and got another Macan. I liked it but I did not love like the first time. I got back to the dealer and mentioned that to the SA. He then said:"Oh, the other Macan you drove had AS. This one does not.". That was all I needed to place an order with AS.
K-A likes this.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #884 of 898 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:04 PM
K-A

Mentioned: 602 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)

Ok, I'm here.

How important is AS to you?

Well, here are what it offers:

- Improved styling (1" lower)
- Ability to adjust ride height and essentially get double the PASM settings (Low and Normal both have very different characteristics and even different geometries, so PASM interacts with each setting a little differently. Most AS owners will tell you Low/Normal makes a bigger difference to handling than PASM settings alone).
- Lower and stiffer spring rate with active spring technology.
- Increased negative camber (thanks to a lower geometry).
- Along with better handling, it can even off road better.
- Along with better handling and off roading capability, it's smoother/more luxurious and will filter out high frequency harshness better.
- Along with being able to achieve a lower and tighter spring rate than standard steel (thus less body roll, more surefooted, crisper turn in), it can also be softer if you so choose.
- It improves lateral grip (thanks to being lower, tighter, with more camber).
- Lower center of gravity.
- Better aero.
- The makers "claim" the improved aero will increase MPG by 5%.
- It's kind of cool to watch the car "pshhh" then lower a little bit upon getting out).

Cons:
- Maybe higher maintenance if you have the car out of warranty (unverified, and it's been widely reliable so far. Porsche AS systems are famously reliable compared to MB's older units). GTS's now getting them standard means LOTS of upkeep support for them going forward.
- Some people will say it reduces road feel. Naturally this is the case to some degree. I think this suspension has lots of road feel for a Crossover, Porsche AS's give more appropriate road feel than any AS applications, just less of the harshness associated with steel counterparts. That can be in a way "mistaken" as less "feel," and to some degree it's true, but I find it has plenty of feel, it just filters out the rough stuff better. The Macan steel springs aren't very hard and are very tall, so it's not like comparing it to a low sports steel suspension or anything.

Ok, how'd I do?

2015 Porsche Macan S SportDesign | White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Tints.

'15 Mazda 3 i Sport.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech/Sport Auto/etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
post #885 of 898 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Lots of good information. I thank you.
TripleL, RJMcInnis and K-A like this.
post #886 of 898 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Ok, I'm here.

[...]

Ok, how'd I do?
You did good.

But we didn't expect less.
2thguy, K-A, WHT TGR and 1 others like this.

Proud owner of a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
since March 12, 2016.
post #887 of 898 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Macan air suspension is under warranty right?
post #888 of 898 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 PM
L_K

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Yes.
post #889 of 898 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Macan S suspension options

New to the forum and never owned a Porsche. I am specing a new S, and I am very clear on what I want, until I get to suspension options. My dealer is in Phoenix where they do not put curves in the roads, so all they stock (and ardently reco) is the base suspension. Could have tested a GTS, but basically useless on those roads. I live North where we have winding roads and I am an enthusiast, so want to feature performance and handling in my build where it makes sense. I will never drive on a track or course, but have plenty of winding roads in my future plans. Spent the day searching/reviewing the site, but most related posts were 3+ years old, so decided to ask again as an additional 3 yrs of experience for the site participants could be invaluable. So PASM, AS, PTV+, Sport+(SC); what do most of you who have driving experience with any of these recommend? What would you order again and what could you do without? Thanks for your help.
post #890 of 898 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Air suspension is an option. PASM is not. Get it!