Discussion on the Macan Suspensions - Page 3 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

1284Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)

I thought I remember reading on this forum that there was some SA conspiracy to get buyers to NOT order AS. Maybe the Porsche driving instructors and other factory employees are part of this conspiracy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro View Post
Sorry, went back and looked at my post, and realized it sounded kinda harsh.

Of course a Macan could be taken to the track, and fine (heck even recommneded) for anyone to do that. It would be probably a less than 1-2% of the time thing though. So, the other 98-99% of the time is what you should really care about.
Yeah, my track and off-road milage probably make up less than 0.5% of my annual driving. But I still got PASM/AS/PTV. Mainly to be able to raise the car off-road and lower it while on track and good roads.

Macan S - Delivered 08/2014 - AWE 02/2016
post #23 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)

I just returned from Leipzig and I have to say that my instructor gave me a much different impression than your experience. He was an excellent driver, was the European Carting Champion at 17, and was #3 in Formula Fords. While we were on the track I asked him if the Macan we were driving has AS, he said he wasn't sure (although he could have just looked down, we were going about a 100 mph and the conversation quickly moved on to what was going on with the car on the track). He said PASM was easily to identify. After a lap or 2 he said he didn't think that it was equipped with AS. It was his opinion that AS came into play more in day-to-day driving and was not a significant factor on the track. He also said that if he were buying the car with his own money, he would specify AS. It is one of the features that allows the Macan at one moment drive like a luxury car, and the next moment drive like a sports car. I have it and I am glad I do.
snowbro, K-A, MDJAK and 3 others like this.
post #24 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:00 PM

How could he not know if the macan had AS? Even an amateur like myself can just look at the buttons on the center console and figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkemp View Post
I just returned from Leipzig and I have to say that my instructor gave me a much different impression than your experience. He was an excellent driver, was the European Carting Champion at 17, and was #3 in Formula Fords. While we were on the track I asked him if the Macan we were driving has AS, he said he wasn't sure. He said PASM was easily to identify. After a lap or 2 he said he didn't think that it was equipped with AS. It was his opinion that AS came into play more in day-to-day driving and was not a significant factor on the track. He also said that if he were buying the car with his own money, he would specify AS. It is one of the features that allows the Macan at one moment drive like a luxury car, and the next moment drive like a sports car. I have it and I am glad I do.
post #25 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)

Is that the car with a down arrow?
jrjunior31 likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #26 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityMacan View Post
I thought I remember reading on this forum that there was some SA conspiracy to get buyers to NOT order AS. Maybe the Porsche driving instructors and other factory employees are part of this conspiracy?
It's not a conspiracy it's logical for the dealers to sway people from the performance options and instead make sure they option infotainment and Bose so the car appeals to the mass market if you walk away from your order. A Macan with Info/Bose and base suspension will likely move faster off the lot than a Macan with PASM/AS and no navigation. Multiple SAs at different dealers told me I didn't need PASM/AS but kept questioning my lack of navigation.

2015 Panamera GTS | White | Black/Alcantara GTS Pkg in Carmine Red | 20" Panamera Sport Wheels in Black | PP+ | SportDesign Rear Fascia | SportDesign Side Skirts | Bose | Soft Close Doors | Power Sunblinds |

2015 Macan S | White | Full Garnet | 14-way | Carbon Fiber Interior | 20" RS Spyders | Colored Caps | Summer Tires | Black Rails | Gloss Trim | PP+ | PASM | SC | ACC | LCA | 3-Zone | Comfort Lighting | White Dials | Front Crests | Smoking Package | SOLD - 12/15/15
post #27 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkemp View Post
I just returned from Leipzig and I have to say that my instructor gave me a much different impression than your experience. He was an excellent driver, was the European Carting Champion at 17, and was #3 in Formula Fords. While we were on the track I asked him if the Macan we were driving has AS, he said he wasn't sure. He said PASM was easily to identify. After a lap or 2 he said he didn't think that it was equipped with AS. It was his opinion that AS came into play more in day-to-day driving and was not a significant factor on the track. He also said that if he were buying the car with his own money, he would specify AS. It is one of the features that allows the Macan at one moment drive like a luxury car, and the next moment drive like a sports car. I have it and I am glad I do.
I find this hard to believe. Are you saying the Porsche driving instructor at Leipzig was unable to tell you weather the car had AS or not. That is extremely suspect! Not only does an AS car drive very differently to a steel car but all he had to do was look down on the console to see if the AS button was there. It would be a cold day in **** the day that Porsche let anyone working in that position not know the suspension setup of the vehicle.
post #28 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:02 PM

Any Macan - however optioned - will sell within days (or a few weeks at worst) if someone walked away from an order. While it makes sense for them to upsell you options like nav. It makes no sense to downsell options. Especially given that Macans are selling for MSRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjunior31 View Post
It's not a conspiracy it's logical for the dealers to sway people from the performance options and instead make sure they option infotainment and Bose so the car appeals to the mass market if you walk away from your order. A Macan with Info/Bose and base suspension will likely move faster off the lot than a Macan with PASM/AS and no navigation. Multiple SAs at different dealers told me I didn't need PASM/AS but kept questioning my lack of navigation.
post #29 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityMacan View Post
Any Macan - however optioned - will sell within days (or a few weeks at worst) if someone walked away from an order. While it makes sense for them to upsell you options like nav. It makes no sense to downsell options. Especially given that Macans are selling for MSRP.
Yes demand is still very high, it's not a question of a Macan not selling. But the dealers want the car to move instantly with the path of least resistance. That means Info/Bose no PASM/AS. Mass market I'm sure prefers to spend 3K on Navy as opposed to Air suspension with adjustable dampers. So they push you toward the ideal spec for the majority of consumers. I'm not the only one who experienced this. Perhaps it differs by location but this was what I found in LA. The dealer I bought the car from told me the day I was negotiating that he was concerned about the time involved in moving the car with out navy if I walked.

2015 Panamera GTS | White | Black/Alcantara GTS Pkg in Carmine Red | 20" Panamera Sport Wheels in Black | PP+ | SportDesign Rear Fascia | SportDesign Side Skirts | Bose | Soft Close Doors | Power Sunblinds |

2015 Macan S | White | Full Garnet | 14-way | Carbon Fiber Interior | 20" RS Spyders | Colored Caps | Summer Tires | Black Rails | Gloss Trim | PP+ | PASM | SC | ACC | LCA | 3-Zone | Comfort Lighting | White Dials | Front Crests | Smoking Package | SOLD - 12/15/15
post #30 of 888 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:21 PM
K-A

Mentioned: 595 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Default PASM vs AS

SA's don't want AS spec'd so it's easier to sell to soccer moms. They don't ironically care about performance options, would rather have nav, etc. It's just the way it is.

Problem with treating what one instructor says as enough to "haha I told you so", is that it's purely hearsay. I heard opposite from actual professional Porsche race car drivers, "so there", lol.

Fundamentally, AS improves performance. It's not magic, it's simple suspension geometry.

What that instructor basically says is that you can feel the limits easier with PASM steel. That is NOT a compliment unless you're trying to get to the cars limits on a track.

In the real world, this means that AS doesn't let you envision the cars limits so easily. I.e it raises your level of experience by "shrinking" and lightening this heavy and somewhat high car. That's what matters most to me, and is a BIG compliment as to why it feels so absolutely sensational in all metrics at the same time.

And since AS is optioned in 99.99% of Porsche equipped track tested models, I've yet to hear one reviewer say that AS disguised limits so well that they came out of nowhere as a surprise.

Again. We're all talking about our own hearsay. Porsche themselves officially state the Macan with AS as the peak performer in the handling range, and they use it for all of their TRACK tests. That's hard info, everything else is subjective or "he said, she said".

Just go with what you feel. It's what counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjunior31 View Post
Yes demand is still very high, it's not a question of a Macan not selling. But the dealers want the car to move instantly with the path of least resistance. That means Info/Bose no PASM/AS. Mass market I'm sure prefers to spend 3K on Navy as opposed to Air suspension with adjustable dampers. So they push you toward the ideal spec for the majority of consumers. I'm not the only one who experienced this. Perhaps it differs by location but this was what I found in LA. The dealer I bought the car from told me the day I was negotiating that he was concerned about the time involved in moving the car with out navy if I walked.
Exactly. This is a simple fact, dealers even admitted this to me, and tons of people the same.

Dealers are NOT Porsche. They have their own interests. Fluff options are it, not so much the enthusiast stuff, that's why it's so often a fight. And lol, no, they're not "looking out for us". That's purely naive to think so.

2015 Porsche Macan S SportDesign | White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Tints.

'15 Mazda 3 i Sport.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech/Sport Auto/etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.