Discussion on the Macan Suspensions - Page 2 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

1300Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

I personally like my PASM. The suspension felt tighter and in control in Sport especially on the twisties and more challenging back roads.

2015 Macan S in rhodium silver, black 14 ways,PASM, LCA, LKA,ACC,3 zone, smokers pkg (non smoker),comfort lights, trailer hitch, entertainment, premium pkg., 19" AS Michelins, 19" Turbo wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)

I also paid a visit to the factory last October, and was told the exact same thing by Porsche engineers regarding PASM only setup being preferable to AS setup with regards to sportiness of the vehicle. i.e. the PASM setup is the more track oriented option and the AS option is the comfort/off road option. The AS system just removes too much feel/connectedness from the vehicle. Some people like that and some people don't. However, when I previously mentioned this I was told that I didn't have proof so it didn't count. Waah!
post #13 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninblaine View Post
It has been my understanding that AS and Pano roof each add about an extra 100 pounds.
Quite a while back I had posted the performance numbers/metrics based on a Serbian review of Macan which helped gauge the weight impact of AS+Pano. From the numbers, the net weight of AS + Pano was 70kgs. Macan weighed 1935 kgs with these options instead of 1865 kgs (without these options). 70 kgs = 155 lbs.
Black on black likes this.

Macan S : Silver/Black AS, PTV+,ACC, LCA/LKA,PP,PCM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remgb View Post
Quite a while back I had posted the performance numbers/metrics based on a Serbian review of Macan which helped gauge the weight impact of AS+Pano. From the numbers, the net weight of AS + Pano was 70kgs. Macan weighed 1935 kgs with these options instead of 1865 kgs (without these options). 70 kgs = 155 lbs.
I bet most of this was the Pano.
K-A, WHT TGR and MDJAK like this.
post #15 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkemp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by remgb View Post
I bet most of this was the Pano.
Yes the pano adds 154 lbs and the AS 1lb, as of course a certain member does say it's so heavy for us to add to our SUVs which we throw around a freeway exit on the way to work.....btw the measures rigidity of a roof with pano and without is 42hz vs 44hz respectively, yes those 2 Hz leave the car inoperable as it will now fall over on every turn....
post #16 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

This is like the most silly argument. Who the heck is taking a Macan out to a track. For heaven's sakes buy a SPORTS CAR, not an SUV.

Yeah, the immediate feedback of a spring system vs air suspension is probably better on the track.... surprise surpise, but SPRINGS on the Macan are so high, and you don't get to drop the car like AS on low mode (which makes a very REAL difference in maneauvering this SUV).

If you are some strange individual that bought a Macan to Track it ? Why o why??? Fine, get your steel springs, but please buy lowering links, please upgrade to ceramic brakes, add a roll cage, and rip out the seats while you're at it.

Such a silly silly topic.
Enilder, MDJAK, RobertVP and 2 others like this.

2015 Macan Turbo: Jet Black Metallic with Black/Red/Carbon Fiber leather interior, Premium Package (with Panoramic Roof), 21" Turbo Design Wheels, SS Skid Plates, PASM/AS, PTV+, 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats, Comfort Lighting, and Smoking Package
post #17 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro View Post
This is like the most silly argument. Who the heck is taking a Macan out to a track. For heaven's sakes buy a SPORTS CAR, not an SUV.

Yeah, the immediate feedback of a spring system vs air suspension is probably better on the track.... surprise surpise, but SPRINGS on the Macan are so high, and you don't get to drop the car like AS on low mode (which makes a very REAL difference in maneauvering this SUV).

If you are some strange individual that bought a Macan to Track it ? Why o why??? Fine, get your steel springs, but please buy lowering links, please upgrade to ceramic brakes, add a roll cage, and rip out the seats while you're at it.

Such a silly silly topic.
Why not ?

Taking your DD to a track to learn how it behaves is a good thing to do.
I wish more people would do that to get the urge to go fast out of their systems, as well as getting a reality check on their drivers skills.

Besides, not everyone has the space/money/dedication to be able to have a dedicated track car. The Macan is a pretty competent tool to take to a track if you run in Groups A/B and just want to have a bit of fun on occasion.

As long as you stay within the limits of the car and yourself, and don't think that you can compete with the GTRs, 458s and Z06s in the higher groups it's all good.
Jammer and Abizar Vakharia like this.

Macan S - Delivered 08/2014 - AWE 02/2016
post #18 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Garage

I only tested steel --- but ordered AS...why?

- I drive aggressively ... I love off-ramps; I raced sports cars and open wheel cars for many years.

- However, I do not drive at 10/10ths of the limit on the road --- not worth it.....maybe 8.5/10ths.

- I needed it lower (for purely aesthetic reasons) --- so figured AS > lowering springs due to warranty, other good stuff (comfort, other adjustments)

To me -- the more 'plush' ride is just a nice to have ... but that's my take. I would probably agree with the instructors on track -- but other than maybe a few laps at a club track day for fun -- no plans to take the Macan hot lapping...and even for those few laps, it wouldn't be 10/10ths in an SUV with no extra safety equipment, better brakes, roll cage, etc.

(my 7.5 cents)
K-A likes this.

Delivered 6/19/2015... White w/ Black; Painted Side Blades & Rear Fascia, 20" RS Spyders w/ colored center caps, Gloss Black Window Trim, 3 Zone Climate, Premium Package+, PASM/AS, Sport Exhaust, Comfort Lighting, Sirius/XM.
post #19 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndcttr View Post
Why not ?

Taking your DD to a track to learn how it behaves is a good thing to do.
I wish more people would do that to get the urge to go fast out of their systems, as well as getting a reality check on their drivers skills.

Besides, not everyone has the space/money/dedication to be able to have a dedicated track car. The Macan is a pretty competent tool to take to a track if you run in Groups A/B and just want to have a bit of fun on occasion.

As long as you stay within the limits of the car and yourself, and don't think that you can compete with the GTRs, 458s and Z06s in the higher groups it's all good.
Sorry, went back and looked at my post, and realized it sounded kinda harsh.

Of course a Macan could be taken to the track, and fine (heck even recommneded) for anyone to do that. It would be probably a less than 1-2% of the time thing though. So, the other 98-99% of the time is what you should really care about.
Jammer likes this.

2015 Macan Turbo: Jet Black Metallic with Black/Red/Carbon Fiber leather interior, Premium Package (with Panoramic Roof), 21" Turbo Design Wheels, SS Skid Plates, PASM/AS, PTV+, 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats, Comfort Lighting, and Smoking Package
post #20 of 898 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)

Well, for most of us it doesn't really matter. Good to know what the instructors think though.

However, we are not professional racers and we don't use nearly the full potential/capability of the Macan anywhere. If you do, get a 911/Boxster/Cayman.

So enjoy what you have and Peace!
MDJAK likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015