Porsche Macan Forum banner

A bolt ruined my sport contact tire

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  yrralis1 
#1 ·
Every time I ever had a Conti Sport Contact tire a flat tire is soon to follow . I dislike them . I realize that they have a soft compound which does what its suposed to do... but IMO they are awful at everything else (longevity, praticality,value) .

My girlfriend drives up yesterday and says "the car is making a noise" . I hear "clunk, clunk , clunk" . Yet it did have a noise . It was a large bolt in the tread near the sidewall . I decide to take the risk and wiggle it a little only to hear .. psssssss. Fortunately pulling it forward onto the bolt again actually sealed it enough to limp to the dealership (on a 36 Psi tire upon arrival) .

It needs a new tire . Part of me doesn't like having uneven tread but with 3500 miles on the car it's somewhat low mileage and I dislike the tires so much that I seriously considered replacing all 4 with Michelin Lattitude .
The service advisor talked me out of it .. for now .

My one new tire goes on tomorrow .. $558 .

For those of you who got Michelin tires .. they are great . Of course a flat tire can happen to any tire but I have had decent success with Lattitudes as well as PS2 tires . I enjoy how they ride and wear . In my opinion they are the better tire and I have no idea why some cars came with them and others did not.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sucks. I had something similar happen to me on another car - driven over two bolts on a gas station.
Like you I learned that pulling them out made things worse :)
In the end, I managed to get the gas station to pay for a brand new tyre, but it did take some of my time to do it.

#3 ·
Had a bolt in the front left tire couple of weeks ago, luckily it was a short one and did not go beyond the thread. I made an emergency stop at Discount Tire and they pulled it out, no air was coming out. Needless to say I bought tire insurance on the spot, ~$250 for all four tires. I do have the Michelins.

#7 ·
When something as large as a bolt pierces your tire, it probably doenst matter what kind of tire it is (most, if not all high end summer tires run a similar, soft compound). I have the Michelines & I got a small, itty bitty TACK in my **** tire.. a TACK that was bent. I saw it & was stupid enough to pull it out while I was up north.... No hissing sound, but the car sat for 24 hours before I drove it again & sure enough I couldn't drive more than 1km without the darn thing beeping like crazy & warning messages flashing!

I think you are just unlucky? Or maybe not....but I don't think the result would have been different if you had michelin's.

Anyway, is there something wrong w/ 36 psi? Thats what my fronts are running at and my rears are running at 38 which in my eyes is perfect.

Attachments

#8 ·
Ah! I am joining this club.

Just realized I have a screw wedged into my rear tire (Conti as well) when I came home. It must be one of the many road construction sites I passed by. For me, this must be one heck of a year of experiencing flat tires, I had one during the ice storm in Toronto which one winter tire was a total write off and now another one which I don't know if it needs complete replacement until I go to the dealer tomorrow morning. I did buy their 1 yr road hazard warranty but it's capped to $40 for patching or $200 towards a brand new tire.

Before this year, my last experience of a flat tire must be like 10 years ago.

Who's next ?

#9 ·
I donate a lot of money to Michelin. Have Pilot Sport Cups on my GT3 and run through multiple sets every year. Need to get an alternate set of wheels and tires for the track - tired of donating my hard-earned dollars to Michelin :)

#10 ·
Tire was replaced today and from there my car was picked up to by my detailer . I had to go and pay for the tire and chatted a bit with my service advisor . He likes the Conti tires and expressed that in terms of performance he feels the soft compound works well.

This is my third car with contis ( 95 993 , 11 M3 , and now the 15 Macan Turbo ) . My observation has been that any tire can get a flat but these tires seem to attract them . whether its the tread design or compound used it is without fail to get a flat .

In contrast the Michelin tires seem to offer a great blend of performance with adequate durability .

I accepted the one tire but if I get another flat all four will be replaced with Lattitudes .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.