8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Default Looking to purchase a set of 22 inch wheels and tires

So I am within a month or two away from ordering a new Macan GTS or Turbo (depending on the lease payments).
I was thinking of going with the 21" Sport Classic wheels in black but after this past weekend's snowstorm in New York, I realize I do need a set of all-season tires.
So that being said, I will probably order the new Macan with 20" RS wheels with all-seasons and get myself a set of 22" wheels with summer tires.
Don't really want to break the bank and love the look of black wheels.
Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions?
Thank you in advance!

2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
2017 BMW M3
2015 Frozen Black BMW M4 Coupe (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Garage

If you are considering the 22" rims for looks, you might find some examples on this thread (if you haven't been through it already). I would start with the last page and work your way forward.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/whee...thread-36.html

But if your primary objective is handling, you should really consider sticking with the 20" rims and putting summer tires on them. The larger diameter rims with stiffer sidewall tires will tend to skip on the pavement rather than grip it. Some discussion on that topic (if you're willing to wade through the back-and-forth discussion) can be found on these earlier threads.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/pors...s-track-2.html

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/whee...s-vs-20-s.html

2015 Turbo / White / 20” Spyders / Black Window Trim / CF Sideblades / Espresso with Walnut / Espresso Belts / 14-way Seats / LCA / ACC-PAS / Entry & Drive / Surround View / Insulating Glass / PASM / PTV+ / AS / PCCB
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS5 View Post
If you are considering the 22" rims for looks, you might find some examples on this thread (if you haven't been through it already). I would start with the last page and work your way forward.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/whee...thread-36.html

But if your primary objective is handling, you should really consider sticking with the 20" rims and putting summer tires on them. The larger diameter rims with stiffer sidewall tires will tend to skip on the pavement rather than grip it. Some discussion on that topic (if you're willing to wade through the back-and-forth discussion) can be found on these earlier threads.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/pors...s-track-2.html

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/whee...s-vs-20-s.html

Awesome! Thank you for the information. I know I risk them "skipping" especially in the colder temps. I'm not tracking the Macan and I like the way they look. Not sure what I'm going to do but I really like the look of these Niche Veronas:

rkirshner and SoCalS5 like this.

2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
2017 BMW M3

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)

You might want to consider ordering the car with 19's if you want winter tires, and then buy a lightly used set of Sport Classic or Turbo 21's with summer tires. The 21's are as large as I'd go.
fritz and limulus like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
You might want to consider ordering the car with 19's if you want winter tires, and then buy a lightly used set of Sport Classic or Turbo 21's with summer tires. The 21's are as large as I'd go.
That's definitely some solid advice but I just didn't want to have to shell out over $5,000 for the 21's.

2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
2017 BMW M3
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynturbo View Post
That's definitely some solid advice but I just didn't want to have to shell out over $5,000 for the 21's.

You would do MUCH better ordering the car with the 21" (much smaller incremental cost from the 19"s) and buying a set of 19" take-offs from eBay for a lot less money combined than the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalS5 likes this.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)

Quote:
I still don't get the Porsche option philosophy. I would think the top of the line Turbo would come with 21" wheels. I know it is also more luxurious as well as faster and maybe the 19" wheels provide a more luxurious ride. Is that why they are the standard on the Turbo? But to me it does not seem right that they guy spending so much more for the Turbo has to spend an extra $3745 for 21" wheels while for me the upgrade is $1,320. Good luck with the purchase. My daughter lives in Park Slope so I'll be looking for you when I'm in Brooklyn.

2017 GTS White/Red ordered 22 Nov 2016 /PEC ATL delivery number 223 on March 7, 2017
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
I still don't get the Porsche option philosophy. I would think the top of the line Turbo would come with 21" wheels. I know it is also more luxurious as well as faster and maybe the 19" wheels provide a more luxurious ride. Is that why they are the standard on the Turbo? But to me it does not seem right that they guy spending so much more for the Turbo has to spend an extra $3745 for 21" wheels while for me the upgrade is $1,320. Good luck with the purchase. My daughter lives in Park Slope so I'll be looking for you when I'm in Brooklyn.
Hey hey! Park Slope isn't far from me at all! And yes I agree with how Porsche's option pricing is so convoluted. Not to get off topic but specifically with something like the carbon fiber steering wheel. In a turbo it's like a $360 option and in a GTS, the same exact thing is a $650 option. What gives?!

But I think I may do just that. Order the new car with the 21's and find myself a nice 19-20" wheel with snow tire package for the 3 short months we have snow in New York.

2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
2017 BMW M3
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)

Quote:
Hey hey! Park Slope isn't far from me at all! And yes I agree with how Porsche's option pricing is so convoluted. Not to get off topic but specifically with something like the carbon fiber steering wheel. In a turbo it's like a $360 option and in a GTS, the same exact thing is a $650 option. What gives?!

But I think I may do just that. Order the new car with the 21's and find myself a nice 19-20" wheel with snow tire package for the 3 short months we have snow in New York.

It's not what gives. It's who takes? Porsche does

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)

I bought the 21" Sport Classics as a factory option, and then I purchased a set of 19" OEM Turbo wheels with winter tires/TPMS/center caps for about $3700 - all-in, including tax. My local dealer matched my best on-line price, and the tax was a wash with the shipping from the on-line source.