User Tag List

81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Default Help with winter wheel/tire choice

I just picked up my Macan S with 21" Sport Classic wheels last week. I've driven past cars on summer tires here in NoCal, but in the winter it often gets to the mid- to high-30's in the mornings. I also go to Tahoe at least a few times a year. For these reasons, I decided I want to ride on winter tires from November through March or so. I don't want to spend more than about $2500 all in, and I want to use Porsche center caps so the wheels look mostly stock. BTW, the car is silver with painted sides and it has gloss black trim. My choices are below. Which would you do, and why?

1 - Just buy a set of Pirelli Scorpion winter tires, and have them swapped on my current wheels. The cost per year of the two swaps would be about $250, but I would get to use my current wheels, which look great. It would be sort of a pain, and swapping tires so often might damage the rims, even if the installer is careful. Cost would be about $1400-1500 shipped.

2 - Buy a set of Porsche 18" 5 spoke wheels and winter tires. My local dealer will match the SunCoast price, so the cost with tax will be about $2500. I can swap them myself (I have a compressor and impact/torque wrenches). They are smaller wheels, so they don't look as good. But they are Porsche wheels, and the 18" size may be a benefit in the winter. I wouldn't get to choose the exact tire. They can come with Pirelli Scorpion Winter, Continental WinterContacts, or Michelins (I think).

3 - Buy a set of black BBS SR 18" wheels/snows from TireRack. It would be a couple hundred cheaper than the Porsche wheels, and TireRack says I can use Porsche center caps. The total cost would be about $2100-2200.

4 - Buy a set of silver 20" Stark TC wheels/Michelin Alpin snows from TireRack. Those are the only snow tires that fit this wheel right now. TireRack says I can use Porsche center caps with these too. The 20" wheels may look better than the 18", but obviously the Stark wheels won't look as good as OEM or more expensive aftermarket wheels. The total cost would be $2400-2500.

Any guidance on which winter tires you like/don't like would be appreciated also.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 12.05.52 PM.png (517.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 2.47.35 PM.png (392.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 2.45.49 PM.png (398.6 KB, 184 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)

I'm planning to do #1 (except I may buy Nokian winter tires) as I love the look of the 21 inch wheels. With modern tire machines and a properly trained operator there's no excuse for wheel damage.
Abizar Vakharia likes this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I like option1. I have 20" spyders and change the tires winter and spring. I'm going on my third season on them with no problems. As @Shark says there's no excuse for wheel damage these days. If you have nice wheels, why not use them all year.
Abizar Vakharia likes this.

2015 Macan S with 20" RS Spyders, White w Black interior, Premium Plus, PASM, Bose, Sirius/XM, Roof Rails, Hitch.
13 Boxster S
05 Boxster (gone)

Last edited by kite pilot; 09-14-2016 at 07:52 PM.

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Garage

I like option 3. The BBS wheels look good and the Pirelli Winter Scorpions perform well in winter conditions. Done 2 winters on them so far and I've been very happy with the performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1261.jpg (264.0 KB, 188 views)
Louie Zoi, Blarghicide and Magman like this.

2nd Macan
'15 Macan S - Sapphire Blue, 14-way Agate Standard, PP+, Heated Steering, 3-Zone, HD Radio, BOSE, LCA, AS+PASM, 20" RS Spyders, Gloss Black Trim, Rear Fascia Painted, Black Rails, Hitch (Delivered 6/18/15)
1st Macan(Trade-in)
'15 Macan S - Agate Grey, 14-way Agate Leather, PP+, Infotainment, LCA, PASM, 19" Design, Gloss Black Trim, Black Rails, Hitch (Delivered 9/22/14)

Last edited by dawiz4u; 09-14-2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Changed photo
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

I did option 2 and was lucky enough to get the Scorpions and love them. I also think option 3 is great as you get to chose your winter rubber. IMHO if you are wanting winter tires to be safe, go smaller wheels than 21. Also it saves your nice 21" wheels from winter crud.

2016 Macan S, | Dark Blue Metallic | Espresso Leather | 20" Spyders | Premium Package Plus | Infotainment | AS | PTV+ | SC | Power Steering Plus | LCA-LKA | Surround View | SD Package with Side Skirts | Side Blades Car Color | Comfort Lighting | Aluminum Rails | Bose | Colored Wheel Crests |
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Pic of my MY16 Macan S with Porsche winter tire package, 18" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion tires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porsche Macan 001 (Small).JPG (92.5 KB, 229 views)
Louie Zoi, fritz and Arnold_T like this.

2016 Macan S, | Dark Blue Metallic | Espresso Leather | 20" Spyders | Premium Package Plus | Infotainment | AS | PTV+ | SC | Power Steering Plus | LCA-LKA | Surround View | SD Package with Side Skirts | Side Blades Car Color | Comfort Lighting | Aluminum Rails | Bose | Colored Wheel Crests |
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Thanks guys. I gotta say they both look good, but I think I like the BBS better. With the Porsche center caps they would look sharp too.
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
....I think I like the BBS better.....
Based on pictures I've seen here of other Macans with those winter wheels, that would be my pick too out of those three options. They do look sharp.

2015 Turbo / White / 20” Spyders / Black Window Trim / CF Sideblades / Espresso with Walnut / Espresso Belts / 14-way Seats / LCA / ACC-PAS / Entry & Drive / Surround View / Insulating Glass / PASM / PTV+ / AS / PCCB
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)

Whatever you do, don't do option 1, as 21" winter tires in this case are much more susceptible from pot holes damage. You'll not only damage your tires, but you'll put your expensive wheels at risk also. When that happens in middle of winter and you can find no replacement, what do you do? 21" low profile winter tires are not regular stock items. Ask me how I know from my Cayenne days
RJMcInnis, WHT TGR and Louie Zoi like this.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)

definitely 18" wheels (for better traction on ice and snow, and better pothole protection). so option 2 or 3, depending whether you really care that much about the look of the rims or the brand of rubber (the rubber doesn't really matter that much - all pretty similar, and all way better than summers or all seasons).
2thguy likes this.

2017 Macan S ordered Sept 1st, 2016. (delivered Jan 23, 2017).
My first Porsche, and my first SUV ... config
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.