40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Default 2014 Macan Turbo vs 2017 GTS

Hi guys,

My '14 Turbo is with the dealer for a problem (some kind of jerkiness very noticeable at low speed, apparently transmission problems?) and they gave me a loaner '17 GTS. I saw now and again people asking about one vs another (year and type), so I thought I'd contribute some personal opinions on a few things I noticed:

1) Turbo vs GTS: keeping in mind that for everyday use either car is a complete overkill, and the GTS is a fast and very capable car, I was surprised at the performance difference. I thought it would be smaller, given the measly 40bhp on paper difference. It is however not small in practice. The Turbo has much more pace, feel significantly more effortless, and downshifts a lot less. They also sound different - the Turbo sounds better when pushed. Otherwise - grip/cornering/brakes - they seem to drive the same.

2) 2014 vs 2016: not much to talk about. Fancier front lights (cosmetic difference only as far as I can tell). Nicer infotaiment system, although functionally they seem about the same. It does look significantly better though, sharper and more colorful. That's about all I could detect. I don't have an iPhone so I couldn't see/test any CarPlay functionality.

3) Options:

- the GTS had a cloth lining, which is fine but doesn't feel that special. The alcantara is much nicer.
- the 8-way seats on the GTS are very comfortable. My Turbo has the 18-way seats, and while obviously much more adjustable, I couldn't really say they're more comfortable. One advantage is the configurable lumbar support, although to me this seems like a small advantage.
- the GTS had the standard audio system, which is fine for a $12000 car, not really fine for an $80000 car. I am flabbergasted that Porsche keeps getting away with this - our Boxster S also has the default audio system and it's rubbish. The one on the GTS isn't that bad, but it's not good either. If you care about sound, get at least the next one up. The Burmester on our Turbo is much, much better, especially if you turn it up.
- the GTS had more wind/outside noise. I think this is down to the acoustically laminated glass option. If you want the quietest car, this is a good one to have.
- the GTS didn't have the storage management option, which I really like. It's very useful to keep stuff from shuffling about in the boot, especially during "spirited driving" sessions.

That's about it, I hope someone finds this useful.
Tony92, Shark, SoCalS5 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by solis; 05-11-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: removed extra 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)

I see this thread is going to be a long one . I'll come back later when it's about 10 pages.
remgb, Shark, noredlights and 3 others like this.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)

What's the charge for 80 way seats, LOL. I agree with Larry, this is going to be a long thread!

2017 Cayenne GTS - Black
2015 Macan S - Sapphire Blue (sold)

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirshner View Post
What's the charge for 80 way seats, LOL. I agree with Larry, this is going to be a long thread!
Obviously, 8-way. I corrected the mistake, thank you for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I see this thread is going to be a long one . I'll come back later when it's about 10 pages.
I'm sure I'm missing something here.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

You are mire comparing available options more so than the actual cars bro.

I agree with you on the power comment and opposite on u on the rest.

Macan GTS Volcano grey, 21 Turbo classics

Formerly 2011 Acura MDX/
04 E55 Mercedes / 10 Audi Q5 / 68 Camaro SS / Ducati Monster S4RS
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)

Do both have the steel suspension?
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
Do both have the steel suspension?
No, both with the air suspension.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nendo View Post
You are mire comparing available options more so than the actual cars bro.

I agree with you on the power comment and opposite on u on the rest.
I compared everything I could compare, so the baseline(s) are clear - model, year, options
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)

I'll throw this out.

Option for Option stock the GTS is the best value, power wise the Turbo has it, can you use it driving 45 in town or 70 on the highway, not enough to justify it.

GTS comes standard with lots of options that cost $$$$ on teh Turbo.

If you have $15K extra to blow for 40HP and some TQ have at it.

I have a stable of 500HP-640HP cars and a Diesel Truck that now makes well north of 550 RWHP tuned.

My GTS with the same Build in a Turbo would have been almost $100K, so I saved $13K and blew it on nonsense !!

Thanks, I love my GTS

LOL

2017 Carmine Red GTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Boxster S, White - Manual 6 Speed

2009 Corvette/ZR1-3ZR Atomic Orange - 1 of 35

2013/427/Convertible Corvette-60th Anniversary

2015 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited - 103"
2012 GMC Denali 2500 -

2009 Corvette/ZO6-2LZ Atomic Orange - 1 of 191 - Traded for a 2013 Boxster S
2006 Audi A4-Quattro - 201K miles - 3.2, manual 6 speed --SOLD !
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)

I very much agree with what the OP said in his turbo versus GTS paragraph, although when pushed very hard understeer occurs in the GTS later and with more predictability given the lower center of gravity. And if the lower center gravity is important to you, a turbo with air suspension can easily be lowered… Or you can look at the turbo PP, but that's even pricier.

If anyone is on the fence between these two models the best thing to do is drive them back to back yourself, and also price out each model back to back the way you would actually want them.

Is the turbo worth the extra money? It's an individual decision. I was ready to order a GTS, but then I took long test drives in the two models back to back. And now I am contemplating a Cobb tune as even the Turbo doesn't feel as fast as it really is.

One thing I suggest you keep an eye out for with the GTS is the standard seat. While it initially felt comfortable, after about an hour it was not, and at least a couple of professional reviewers have made the same comment. You will find substantial discussion here on the forum comparing the 14 and 18 way seats, which are both available at no extra cost on the turbo.
SoCalS5 likes this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills