Do you ignore a resurrected old thread ? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 455 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Default Do you ignore a resurrected old thread ?

I'm just curious to hear the thoughts on an old thread suddenly surfacing after laying dormant for a year or two . Now I understand that there is an in an out flow of posters and someone may have searched the topic . Interestingly one may even notice old posters (who seemed to have vanished) so the the new post almost becomes current to the here and now community .

The issue i have with it is that I tend to ignore the thread . When i see a 6+page thread on a topic which was talked about years ago I lack the patience to want to read it again . It's as if the topic was talked out and even though it can become improved in the present I don't want to dechiper through it to make it to present most of the time . So I ignore it .

Want to hear what others think on this .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage

Lol, obviously this is due to me resurrecting the ashtray thread..

I usually feel the same as you about old threads, but I felt that thread already had most of the information including the parts diagrams and was just missing a conclusion. The 3 new posts in that thread are enough to close off the topic so why open a new one?

It also helped that the thread didn't stray off topic... So really it's just as relevant and easy to follow as a new one would be.
Louie Zoi likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 455 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoshi View Post
Lol, obviously this is due to me resurrecting the ashtray thread..

I usually feel the same as you about old threads, but I felt that thread already had most of the information including the parts diagrams and was just missing a conclusion. The 3 new posts in that thread are enough to close off the topic so why open a new one?

It also helped that the thread didn't stray off topic... So really it's just as relevant and easy to follow as a new one would be.
It's not only your thread but it did remind me of this topic . BTW i did read it and simply dont know the answer .

I don't feel that resurrecting a topic is in any way bad . i just lack the patience to sort out where the conversation once began years go to spark the new post .

It's not so much about the topic or even if one wants to bring it back but more about myself as a reader lacking patience to go through it . I feel the same way about journals and for that reason ignore the entire section .

I tend to click on active topics too and when a thread gets long I tend to fade off it. this is simply how i read the forum .

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)

If I see an old thread with posters I know as being relevant, I would be interested in reading...
Jammer, Macanakey and Arnold_T like this.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)

I've long thought that adding to old threads (versus starting duplicate threads) is what our forum community preferred.

Think of all the times a forum member has asked a question, and the response has been "this has been discussed before", and/or "search is your friend".

I thought that at least part of the reason is the possibility that someone looking for an answer is going to find it more quickly because the answer has already been posted, even if it was in the distant past, and because of the advantage of having all discussion on a topic together.

Of course the problem is that a topic may be so broad and the thread may be so long that it's unwieldy to read or use, so some may start to ignore it, as was pointed out.

But if the discussion is on a narrow topic (for example, how to program the star button) IMO it's advantageous to have all discussion within a single thread.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

I just read where I left off previously if in fact the thread was entertaining/educational for the simple reason in the words of Old Man Vanderkellen 'Good is Good' !
Louie Zoi and Arnold_T like this.

Rhodium Silver, Luxor beige, brushed alum, Prem Package Plus-14 way, PDLS, Bose, auto dim mirrors, heated seats frt & rear, steering wheel, vented frt seats, pano roof, entry and drive, delete model, smoker pack, park assist frt & rear with surround camera, 20" sports with colored crest, crest on front head rest. Lane change assist, Received 3/18/16 MY2017.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)

When I see an old thread, particularly one with many pages, I click on 'last' to see if the latest posts are of interest to me. Sometimes it's simply that a new poster doesn't realize it's an old thread, and posts as though it's current. A June 2014 thread starter may be titled "Help with smoker's package, order locks tomorrow". November 2016 someone see the title and posts "No, definitely do not order it, your fingers will get stuck in the cover". Timely? I think not. I ignore the other 5 pages.
Shark, Louie Zoi, fritz and 1 others like this.

'15 White S, Std Agate, Dk walnut, 18 way, RS Spyder w/ AS tires, A/S w/ PASM, PP+, Infotain, Body color side blades, LCA, 3-zone, Bose, Comfort lghtg, Hi gloss black, roof rails, smoking pckg (Wife's dd)

'17 GTS 'stripper'; VG, Agate/Pebble, 14-way, RS Spyders, E&D, LCA, SC, Seat vent, Nav (my dd)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Garage

I usually get 3 to 5 posts in of reading before I realize its an old thread Then I'll jump to the end and see what's 'really' new at that point.
Shark, Louie Zoi, Hokie and 2 others like this.

2015 Macan S Daily smiles since 5/16/2014
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1050 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
The issue i have with it is that I tend to ignore the thread .
And here is why IMO ...

Buy a car from a marque you never owned before. I have and read their forum. I've seen long threads about some subject I'm interested in and HAVE read the entire thing. Why? Because the subject was important to me, for example maybe problems people are having with the car I bought.

Now that same thread exists where you have been here since the beginning AND you have extensive knowledge of the marque. Of course your not going to read it. Why would you? You already know the answer. And that is where the problem lies. ...

Newbies vs experience. Put the shoe on the other foot, look at it from other eyes.

What's much worse is the constant questions about options. How many times can someone ask and talk about "ventilated seats" or some other options. After you have read 20 threads on it, the 21st thread makes your head explode. Buts its new to the newbie. So don't read it.

The other thing that happens is that everyone new is excited. We all tend to be like that. We find something that we thing related to our cars and want the world to see. But don't stop and look to see that someone ALREADY posted it. But everyone wants to be the first. Hmm, no. Chances are someone saw it 8 hours before you or 8 days before you and already posted it. Then we get depressed because we thought we found something new. Passion is a good thing. Just look to see if someone else hasn't already started to discuss the subject.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 366 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)

So about ventilated seats. Do they have .......?

Couldn't help myself

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
grim, Louie Zoi, djs2303 and 3 others like this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.