58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT TGR View Post
So about ventilated seats. Do they have .......?
.....Air Suspension? I don't know, but I think there's a thread on that.
WHT TGR, Louie Zoi, Hokie and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)

I prefer to see old threads rejuvenated rather than creating duplicate threads. Duplication makes it very difficult to find the information you need when searching. Nothing is better than searching for info on a subject and finding a gold mine of info in an old comprehensive thread rather than five different threads on the same subject with redundant info. If I've already read it I just go to the end to see if there is any new info or new questions.
RJMcInnis, Shark, Jammer and 2 others like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
I've long thought that adding to old threads (versus starting duplicate threads) is what our forum community preferred.

Think of all the times a forum member has asked a question, and the response has been "this has been discussed before", and/or "search is your friend".
A long thread does bring back a topic . It's not exactly in duplicate form but ideas can end up duplicated unless one wants to read through the gazillion pages in an effort to avoid repetition . Longer threads can also veer and may create sub topics which are off topic to the original.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleL View Post
I usually get 3 to 5 posts in of reading before I realize its an old thread Then I'll jump to the end and see what's 'really' new at that point.
Same here.
TripleL likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
And here is why IMO ...

Buy a car from a marque you never owned before. I have and read their forum. I've seen long threads about some subject I'm interested in and HAVE read the entire thing. Why? Because the subject was important to me, for example maybe problems people are having with the car I bought.

Now that same thread exists where you have been here since the beginning AND you have extensive knowledge of the marque. Of course your not going to read it. Why would you? You already know the answer. And that is where the problem lies. ...

Newbies vs experience. Put the shoe on the other foot, look at it from other eyes.

What's much worse is the constant questions about options. How many times can someone ask and talk about "ventilated seats" or some other options. After you have read 20 threads on it, the 21st thread makes your head explode. Buts its new to the newbie. So don't read it.

The other thing that happens is that everyone new is excited. We all tend to be like that. We find something that we thing related to our cars and want the world to see. But don't stop and look to see that someone ALREADY posted it. But everyone wants to be the first. Hmm, no. Chances are someone saw it 8 hours before you or 8 days before you and already posted it. Then we get depressed because we thought we found something new. Passion is a good thing. Just look to see if someone else hasn't already started to discuss the subject.
I tend to open duplicate short threads quicker than long threads . Many times i avoid both . This is just my style of reading .

To expand -- imagine if we had a thread delegated to deliveries of a Macan S vs each person creating a new thread on his or her own delivery of that vehicle . Who would read this ? The topics qualify as worthy of duplicate threads Vs a duplicated topic tends to vary .
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

I just read the most recent posts. If I'm really interested in the topic, I might go back to the beginning. Always learning. . .
Shark, djs2303, Hokie and 1 others like this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInMd View Post
I prefer to see old threads rejuvenated rather than creating duplicate threads. Duplication makes it very difficult to find the information you need when searching. Nothing is better than searching for info on a subject and finding a gold mine of info in an old comprehensive thread rather than five different threads on the same subject with redundant info. If I've already read it I just go to the end to see if there is any new info or new questions.

A long time ago you created a great thread on the VW scandal. It is now a gazillion pages long and has gotten tons of likes . I myself loved reading the thread yet now i see it resurfaced today . I have not looked at it . I am not sure if its because I feel like the topic has been so talked out in the past or if i just lack the patience to cue in on why it came up today .

BTW .. I dont think there is right or wrong on this . I am merely sharing how i read the forum and view posting as both educational as well as entertainment . Just as everyone's posting style differs so does reading style.

From this thread I gather that most like things the way they are . I dont dislike it as it is as its up to me to read or ignore . I did learn by talking about it because I do see that others really do like the longer condensed threads .
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Garage

@yrralis1 Not sure why old threads again would add to your reading. Don't you just look at the "View First Unread"? That way the website will skip past everything in the thread you have already read. I don't see why it would matter if there is one page or a hundred at that point. Using your example, there are a few new posts in the VW Scandal thread. I certainly didn't start from page one. I only read the last few, totally unrelated to VW Scandal posts... (Couldn't resist...)
Jammer, WHT TGR, Louie Zoi and 2 others like this.

DELIVERED 31st Dec 2014. Happy New Year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)

This thread is getting old...
RJMcInnis, yrralis1, Shark and 2 others like this.

2015 Macan S: Silver on Black
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage

....wait til it gets resurrected in a year
macanS, RJMcInnis and Jammer like this.

2016 Boxster GTS
2013 Mercedes e350
2008 Ford F250
2008 Airstream 25FB