User Tag List

102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Default Macan vs Cayenne

I ordered a Macan a while ago, after I talked about it with a guy who parked behind me in the building garage, he bought a Cayenne. By the way, on my left side is an Aston Martin.
I am amazed by his black Cayenne, and decided that Cayenne is a more aesthetically designed car from all angles. Therefore I cancelled my Macan order a few days ago. And I will buy a Cayenne instead. Beside, Cayenne isn't that more expensive than a Macan in the first place. You won't save a lot of money buying a Macan anyway.

So is there any real advantage of Macan beside the smaller profile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)

Quick response.........

PDK, proper AWD, twin Turbo motors with gobs of torque, faster 0-60 times than base cayman / Boxster, and goes around a corner better than a Cayenne.
Travis, Whitemacan, sebis and 11 others like this.

Ordered Feb-14', Estimated 8/22/14, Delivered 9/3/14: Macan S White, Black Interior w/partial leather and 14-way, RS Spyder wheels w/ crest, Premium Plus, AS/PASM/PTV, ACC/PAS, Black Roof Rails w/Gloss Black Window Trim, Comfort light, Trailer Hitch
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

Base Cayenne = no Macan available yet...
Cayenne S = Macan S, about $17k cheaper, similar performance
Cayenne Turbo = Macan Turbo, about $40k cheaper, similar performance
(very basic comparison, not going into details about PDK, AWD, etc...)

yes, there is a reason to get the Macan over the Cayenne

Macan Turbo
  • Jet Black Exterior
  • Black/Garnet Red Full Leather Interior
  • PASM/AS/SC

#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innercitysyd View Post
I ordered a Macan a while ago, after I talked about it with a guy who parked behind me in the building garage, he bought a Cayenne. By the way, on my left side is an Aston Martin.
I am amazed by his black Cayenne, and decided that Cayenne is a more aesthetically designed car from all angles. Therefore I cancelled my Macan order a few days ago. And I will buy a Cayenne instead. Beside, Cayenne isn't that more expensive than a Macan in the first place. You won't save a lot of money buying a Macan anyway.

This clip shows just how competent the Cayenne is.

The Macan Turbo will be just as fast at half the price of a Cayenne Turbo in Australia though probably not as competent off-road. The Macan is I think, another "game-changer" from Porsche. Both are very good.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)

Quote:

I'll bite. First, your facts are off. The base Cayenne is SLOW. To match the Macan S, you at least need a Cayenne S. When I spec one to mirror my Macan S build, I end up at $87k, vs $62k for the Macan. Whether $25k is a lot of money or not everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Even then, the Macan handling will be much more sporting than the Cayenne (which for me is all the reason I need to prefer the Macan). Finally, I like the fresher and more compact look of the Macan much better than the somewhat bloated Cayenne, and it will take a couple of years until Macans are as ubiquitous as Cayennes around here.
Tri Tom likes this.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

The Cayenne is 3 years old now so a facelift is imminent. If you got to have it at least wait for the facelift.
6sp550i likes this.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:

First off, you probably should just as well post a similar note on the Cayenne boards to get their opinions. Coming here, to a board of anxious prospective Macan owners, you mind as well ask why bother with a Macan over an X3/X4?

The Cayenne (at least in it's 958 incarnation, which is all I know) is a fantastic vehicle. I ordered mine in Sept '10 and honestly wasn't in the market for another vehicle. The handling, agility, fit, and finish, outside and in, are all outstanding on the Cayenne. I have the V6 version, so it's not fast by any means, but I've never been as happy with a vehicle.

Aesthetics are such a personal preference, but I'm always baffled by those who seem to have disdain for either the Cayenne/Macan and really like the other. Although there are many differences, there is no mistaking the bloodlines, you can tell they are closely related. Again, personal preference. That said, I'm excited for Macan because of the slightly smaller profile, PDK, and (from all accounts) sportier feel. It also helps that a Turbo variant of the Macan is a good $40k less than a CTT (in the US at least). You get a lot more for the money with the Macan, and it's really a different class of vehicle IMO- compact vs full size SUV. I'm ready for something a little smaller and faster, while still maintaining the practical aspects of what I have in the Cayenne.

So, going back to your question, it really depends on what you want and what you're looking for- they are different vehicles and fulfill different things for different people. Will there be some cannibalization? Sure, but there is def room for both of them in the line up. The Cayenne is a great vehicle, and I'm sure the Macan will be as well. The best thing is, they are both from Porsche, and as cliche as it sounds, there is no substitute.
Wintermute, windblow and Edgar like this.

Macan Turbo White/Black, Full Leather, 20" SD w Colored Crests, AS, Prem Pack+, High Gloss Black Ext Trim, Alum Gear Shifter, Comfort lighting

Pictures below:
http://www.macanforum.com/forum/memb...23-albums.html

#8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)

The Macan S is faster than the Cayenne GTS that costs about $30K to $40K more depending on your options... This is only ONE of the reasons I picked the Macan, there are many others.
fulmer likes this.

--Sebis
2015 Macan S: Silver/Black, PASM/AS/PTV+, 20" RS Spyder, 18-way
#9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)

I think you certainly can less generously equip the Cayenne and keep the price pretty tight. Also there's probably more room for negotiation on the Cayenne as I gather there is little to no room on the Macan.

I think the big thing is the size. The Cayenne is great for a large SUV but to me it felt pretty huge. And I had been leaning towards the Cayenne diesel but the Macan really has more of that sports car Porsche feel while still providing the adequate SUV utility that I need.

I do agree with you the current iteration of the Cayenne is a beautiful vehicle. I think the lines on the Macan are pretty sharp as well though.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)

I will be trading in my Cayenne Diesel for the Macan S. I thought about the facelift Cayenne due later this year and for the same money as my highly specced S. That is the point, I love the Cayenne, but don't drive it like a sports car, PASM is about it, not even bothered about full leather etc. The Macan on the other hand however, I have specced with the petrol engine, all the performance, suspension mods and a full leather interior. It is a slightly less practical, but much more intimate, sports car like proposition compared to the still excellent Cayenne. No one is pretending it is a 911, but it is more of a Porsche, that is the major difference imho.
remgb and One T like this.