Porsche Macan Forum banner

Macan vs BMW M4

22K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  K-A 
#1 ·
I know they are not at all in the same class but they are around the same price. Has anyone had this dilema other than me? I am going with the Macan b/c of its utility and comfort, but I have to say the M4 is such a beautiful beast and I would not hesitate to chose it over any cayman.

See less See more
#3 ·
I to was debating this. The subtlety of the Macan, four wheel drive, and somewhat presumed lower maintenance costs against an 'm' weighed in. Also, I would test a GTS Cayman against an 'm' prior to deciding.

#4 ·
I optioned an M3 sedan moderately the other night and it came to 70K. How much is your M4 build? Mobile configurator down for BMW so can't check it but I assumed M4 would be similar in price to Macan Turbo not S

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I know they are not at all in the same class but they are around the same price. Has anyone had this dilema other than me? I am going with the Macan b/c of its utility and comfort, but I have to say the M4 is such a beautiful beast and I would not hesitate to chose it over any cayman.
I also looked hard at M3/M4, in fact that was my first choice coming from a 335.

But, the factors that turned me toward the Macan:
1) the M3 is a little too "boy racer" image for me now, even though I really love the 70'S throwback colors with CF roof
2) The new BMW interior with the tablet glued onto the dash - hate it!
3) really wanted a Porsche, still have two kids at home though, and I need a car that can carry the family. macan checked that box, but with a decent amount of sportiness - the Cayenne feels too big for me however & not a huge fan of the Panamera either
4) when I play golf or bike, wanted a car that had large enough cargo area that I wasnt trying to puzzle out the pieces between trunk & back seat; Macan checked that box also.

#6 ·
I seriously considered an M3 before deciding upon a Macan. The power is intoxicating, and if AWD was available it would have swung it for me.

I am still waiting for a Macan allocation to open up for me to put down a deposit (the salesperson and I have agreed upon a price). But if it looks like delivery will be delayed past April, I might have to switch back to an M3.

#7 ·
IMO the exterior does qualify as a beautiful beast (except the crappy halogen rear tailights/turn signal) but the interior looks awful. Cheap looking, dodgy design with lines going everywhere and tacky strips of blue or red through the car.

#8 ·
I love design of the M4 + it's a powerful beast. I almost sold my f10 550 for Sakhir Orange M4. I changed my mind because the car is not practical for a daily drive in Colorado.

#10 ·
My Macan build comes to right around $72K. The M4 I had spec-ed is about the same but pretty bare bones except for the 19" wheels.

One of the main reasons I leaned toward the Macan was ride quality. I'm afraid the M4 will have a pretty jarring ride, regardless of what ride mode the suspension is in.

I do frequent long trips (2-5 hrs) and driver fatigue is an important factor for me.

The interior of the M4 is less classy than the Macan but I wouldn't call it cheap by any means. The seats are pretty amazing and lets not forget that BMW pays for service up to 40K miles.

All in all, I am happy I chose the Macan b/c I don't ever go to the track and driving fast in the US is pretty much a joke especially in traffic choked California where I live.

Still tho the M4 is a real beauty IMO. I went with a couple girl friends to look at a few of them and even they thought so. It is a very sexy car that performs as good as it looks. But the drawbacks are clear: less spacious, rougher ride, and yes there is a "boy-racer" quality, as a previous poster noted, about the car as well.

When the prices of used M3's drop to about $35-40K they are predominately purchased by "boy-racers". Not to hate on the clique but I don't identify with them at all and frankly find them ineffectual douche-bags.

What I've always been careful with when buying a car or for that matter anything else, is to get what I REALLY want. There's nothing worse than the nagging feeling when you see another car and think "dammit I wish I had that!" Within reason of course.

When all is said and done I don't think I will feel that way in my Macan but the M4 does make me pause for thought.

#11 ·
This seems to be a recurring comparison, which speaks highly of the Macan, considering what segment it's supposedly in.

The M3 and Macan were my two top choices (M3 because I need the extra headroom over the M4, plus IMO the M3 looks meaner and cooler).

The drivetrain of the M3 is what I really want. But is it worth that price? I have a 535i M Sport now, and the 3 looks similar enough to where I think it shares the most beautiful Sedan design language right now. However, for me, I would never be able to use that glorious I6 enough to justify paying THAT much for a 3 Series. The Macan on a refinement and interior scale comes across extremely different enough to seem several classes above. I mean the 3/4 interior is CHEAP, very low-rent, rental car grade, even with the nice M seats and rare bits here and there (unless you get leather package, taking it into really expensive pricing territory, and it'll still come way behind a Macan or 5 Series, etc. You can't even "sync" both sides of the HVAC on the M3/M4, as it uses BMW's low-rent HVAC unit (not the one that comes on the 5+ cars).

To me, the Macan was just a superior overall package, enough performance, and shines above the M3 in more ways than not. Also, the M3, although stunning in its own right, is still a "3 Series" and I guess it's hard for me to get past that. They're everywhere, with ugly halogen headlights (M3/M4 have ugly halogen taillights! Crazy to spend $70+K on a car and be stuck with those retrograde things). The Macan is a more interesting and unique, special looking car to me (in SD Package or Turbo form, namely). Also, it's a Porsche, and the only Porsche that I can actually comfortably fit in, so it fits a big dream-car aspiration I've had my whole life.

To me, since I won't be tracking the cars or able to exploit the M3's race-bred virtues, the Macan is just worth the money more than the M3. Especially since the M3 actually came out to more for me. And Porsche has earned my trust to be the only brand I'd actually BUY a car from (not lease), as they treat their brand with respect and acknowledge that the way their used cars age has a lot to do with how their new cars will be regarded. So I think they'll protect the Macan's lineage in terms of resale more than BMW, who always find themselves stuck in the highly-incentivized lease rat race, which diminishes the value of their cars both tangibly and emotionally. The M3 hopefully will be treated with dignity in regards to supply and incentives, i.e not overflowing them so it can retain a strong resale, but I think the Macan should fare better.

Oh, on another note, while I feel that the M3 would be more fun to get into and drive every day, that might get old quickly as the harshness and lack of refinement set in. I feel that the Macan will provide a more premium experience whilst holding onto fun-to-drive sporty dynamics, have a higher sense of occasion, and of course, give me the warm and fuzzies every time I look at it, registering that I "made it into the Porsche club". :D

#12 ·
K-A said it perfectly, It was what I thought as well.
The thing that is bringing me down the most in M4 is the exhaust note. In sport mode, it sounds like a loud cheap aftermarket exhaust for Hondas and in normal mode, it sounds like a car with four cylinders engine like the heck o_O(starting up especially).

Don't get me wrong, I still like the way M4 looks, especially in Austin Yellow with black rims <3. But still, I prefer the look of E92 M3 with rumbling v8 in Orange <3

PS: Dat booty of the old E92 M3. 10/10.

Really liked the rims of the E92 M3 from Competition Package <3. I wish Macan had them :(

#19 ·
PS: Dat booty of the old E92 M3. 10/10.

Really liked the rims of the E92 M3 from Competition Package <3. I wish Macan had them :(
you are absolutely right about the competition package wheels. I absolutely love that style. is there something like that that would fit a Macan?

#13 · (Edited)
I was going to get a Macan Turbo with delivery January.

But I didn't really want a SUv no matter how un SUV it is. If I was going to get one, the Macan clearly was the most sporting for sure. I also wanted the best handling and nicest interior I could find.

If I could have my dream it would be an RS4 Avant or Panamera that is 80% of its size. Basically AWD, small. 4 door, and high performance.

After agonizing I had to give something up which was AWD.

I couldn't be happy with a 328 touring, the M3's steering feel wasnt impressive, the Tesla p85d was too big, the Panamera Turbo was my favorite but a foot too long (same size as the a Tesla).

I was never able to drive a Macan Turbo but I just didn't want the height or SUV form factor. I prefer wagons then sedans. Very versatile though.

I am ordering the new 2015 Mercedes C63 S AMG with a twin turbo v8 (incredible gas mileage btw). I vowed I wouldn't get another after a 2000 E55 but so improved. And small.

#26 ·
I was going to get a Macan Turbo with delivery January.

But I didn't really want a SUv no matter how un SUV it is. I also wanted the best handling and nicest interior.

If I could have my dream it would be an RS4 Avant or Panamera that is 80% of its size. Basically AWD, small. 4 door, and high performance.

After agonizing I had to give something up which was AWD.

I couldn't be happy with a 328 touring, the M3's steering feel wasnt impressive, the Tesla p85d was too big, the Panamera Turbo was my favorite but a foot too long (same size as the a Tesla).

I was never able to drive a Macan Turbo but I just didn't want the height or SUV form factor. I prefer wagons then sedans. Very versatile though.

I am ordering the new 2015 Mercedes C63 S AMG with a twin turbo v8 (incredible gas mileage btw). I vowed I wouldn't get another after a 2000 E55 but so improved. And small.
Glad you made a decision you're happy with. Great car.

#15 ·
That was a cpo'd 2011/2012 for the Panamera, which makes it basically the same price. The other cars were new. Some less expensive.

But cost wasn't the primary driver.

The Tesla p85d was the most expensive at $120,000 new, but with 0 to 60mph in 3.2 seconds was pretty impressive.

#18 ·
K-A, You pretty much expressed how I feel perfectly.I think if I got the Turbo Macan there would be no question however I really can't justify spending $17K more.

Reactions: K-A
#23 ·

I would not pick an M4 over a Cayman S . The Cayman is the most balanced mid engine car in its price range. It also is one of the best looking Porsche in the lineup . The 981 is a huge improvement over its predecessor . In the past the Boxster and Cayman were often viewed as the "poor man's Porsche" but that stigma is falsefied with this modern car . The new car is the real deal !!!

The M4 is a phenominal car too . Gone is the normally aspirated V8 but the new car has huge performance and interior upgrades . It has comfort , technology , peformance, and useable space offering daily driver practicality with a huge splash of motorsport ability . It also has a modest list of options and free maintenance so cost to own is somewhat rational .

Comparing the M4 to a few Porsches the blend of performance, space, and price come into play . On many levels the Porsches are the better cars but the M4 is a better value .

#27 · (Edited)
I didn't love the M3. The steering feel was all wrong. The though BMW is probably better on the track. As to the interior are you looking at the latest c63 which hasn't arrived yet. Not out till April. I agree the last/current version isn't as pretty. Having a twin turbo v8 is pretty distinctive.

Generally I am not a Mercedes fan. I started with BMW's when I bought a new M5 in 1992. That car is smaller than a current 3 series!

There is no perfect car for me that is imported.

And I generally don't care about new cars. To me they are just depreciating objects.

I took my 1967 911S rally optioned car out yesterday. Now that's how a car should handle!

I am going to wait to see how the Macan evolves. Perhaps there will be a lower version or something that has a chassis control system like the Cayenne does, which would be awesome.

#29 ·
Well BMW engine note has never really been aggressive. The E46 which I think was a gorgeous M3 had a tiny sound and although I think the current F82 has a nice exhaust note I think it's just silly to pump any sound into the cabin, even tho they say it is not synthesized. There's actually no way to turn off the pumped in sound either. The only way to do it is to remove the fuse for the whole stereo system apparently. For real enthusiasts like us there may always be a nagging thought in the back of our mind saying the sound in hearing is artificial. Who knows maybe this is the wave of the future but I sure hope not.

I notice a lot of people are waiting to see how the Macan evolves in future iterations. I'm sure it will obviously only improve but I sure don't have the patience to wait. It's driving me mad to wait till 12/26 when my car arrives let alone for the next MY.

That's said I know the Macan S is going to get a HP boost soon. Interestingly the Macan S and the M4 both have 3 liter TT's. But the M4 has a staggering 425 HP to the Macan's 340. It feels like Porsche has started relatively low to give themselves room to easily boost power in coming iterations.

Then again HP isn't everythjng by a long shot. My 997 S had 340 HP and it felt blazing fast. It's not how many horses you've got as much as it is how the vehicle is able to translate them into overall performance and useability.

I drive the demo Macan S for a few hours and I loved the **** thing. It felt like a sports car so much that it made me ponder why not get a sports car?! And hence this thread. I'm sticking with my dark blue Macan, saddle brown interior and 21" turbo wheels!

#30 · (Edited)
M4 vs. 911 Carrera

Car and Driver: "BMW and Porsche have more common ground with the X5 and Cayenne than with the M4 and the 911. Yet matchups like this 28-year rivalry are at the core of our Weltanschauung. What passes for one, anyway.....we have a purpose-built sports car versus a factory speed-shop conversion. Who makes the best all-around, all-day-every-day performance car?"

2015 BMW M4 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera ? Comparison Test ? Car and Driver

#31 ·
Owned BMW's for 20 years. Starting with a 2002 tii, on to numerous 3 series, 2 M3's, and the fatal purchase a 2000 540i Sport 6 speed. As I progressed through that, the quality diminished (only kept the 540i 9 months - one of the worst cars I have ever owned). Then came Bangle design, iDrive, and other things making them somewhat less than the "Ultimate Driving Machine". When it came time to replace my wife's Cayenne, there was no consideration to MB (my wife hates them) or BMW. Only considered the Macan.

#32 ·
I *just* made this decision. I had ordered a Sahkir orange M4 with full leather, stick, 19" wheels, and CF roof. Excellent car, and practical enough for four people (me and my kids). I love the stick. The M4 comes with pretty much everything you want, vs Porsche, which charges you for every little thing (nav is an option, really?). I don't mind the steering on the M4, or the engine sound. And I like the interior. Included maintenance is nice also.

But the main reason I went with the Macan S is because I was worried the M4 would just be too loud and rough for everyday driving. Some of the guys on the BMW forums have even sold the cars for this reason. The Macan is a bit less exciting, but everyday handling is great because it's less sensitive to potholes and road irregularities. It's fairly fast (esp with Sport Plus), and I can take it skiing.

So far I don't regret the decision, but I still think about the M4 from time to time.

#35 ·
But the main reason I went with the Macan S is because I was worried the M4 would just be too loud and rough for everyday driving. Some of the guys on the BMW forums have even sold the cars for this reason. The Macan is a bit less exciting, but everyday handling is great because it's less sensitive to potholes and road irregularities. It's fairly fast (esp with Sport Plus), and I can take it skiing.
So far I don't regret the decision, but I still think about the M4 from time to time.
I went through the same process and am glad I ended up with the Macan as my daily driver and not the M4. Here is the deal with the M4: I usually rent one when I'm in Germany/Europe. It is amazing how effortless it goes up to 170mph. It comes alive around 150mph. Pointless in the US no doubt. The suspension is indeed reasonably comfortable. Just took one a couple of weeks ago on a 2000 mile road trip no issues. BUT it is insanely loud. Especially in sport mode. In fact I had it parked in an underground garage and it was almost embarrassingly loud at startup. Gave a guy getting out of his 911 next to me a heart attack. When I got back into my GTS at home I thought for a moment that the PSE is broken...
The M4 is a great machine and I can see myself end up getting one eventually as an occasional fun car. A daily driver it is definitely not.

#33 ·
@lippy Navi isn't really a good comparison. While the M4 does seem to include it, all of the lower 3/4 series models don't, it is an option. Sort of like how the Macan Turbo includes Navi, but the lower models don't. Hmm...

In reality, BMW's also have a lot of options that have to be added to make the car you really want. Actually more similar in strategy than different.

#34 ·
I had an M4 behind me on some "twisties." We were both driving responsibly, yet slightly stretching our cars legs out, and I'm certain he was impressed by how the Macan kept pace ahead of him. Areas where he'd slow down even going at a moderate speed, my car would coast casually.

#37 ·
I was very tempted to go back to a M3 after I took delivery of my Macan. I missed the nimbleness of the small car and manual trans. I came across one at the near dealer (used to own by a forum member) and test drove it. I decided to stick with the Macan

Plus:
- M3 is expected as fun. Nimble, drives fast, handles superb.
- Aggressive looking. You can't stop looking at it (at least I can't)
- Very similar seating space as Macan. Rear is slightly smaller in terms of width
- Front seat/Passenger seating is comfortable
- Heads up display is awesome

Minus:
- cabin is noisy
- fit/finish is not as top notch. Feels a bit outdated
- While manual is fun, but there's still some discomfort with driving a manual regardless how smooth the acceleration/shifting is.
- rear seating/trunk is still slightly smaller

I think perhaps I'm just getting older, but the minuses really outweighed the plus. Ultimately I think it comes down to the fit/finish of the car and the comfort for the price we pay.

(On the other hand. The new X5M is AWESOME. Fit/Finish. Power, Look. I would say it has the total package except for price maybe..)

#38 ·
Problem with the X5M is it's just another fat powerhouse. It's very capable yet weighs 5,300 lbs in standard trim. 1,200 lbs more than a Macan S....

And many reviewers note it's much less fun to drive and doesn't handle as well (at least in terms of feel, not sure about grip and "stats") as a Macan.

It's a different beast altogether, of course, but reminds of if an M5 truck. I.e sucked of fun and character yet technically a marvel.

#41 ·
I agree, @K-A. Good friend of mine in Tucson has a '16 X-5M. It's a beast, goes like stink, but there's no denying the physics of 5300 lbs. Has some 'tall SUV' wobbles, and some tracking on pavement lines, but frankly, is pretty amazing for a BIG beast. Just not my cup of tea at this point, and I've owned/leased maybe 12-15 BMW coupes and SUV's. I find the balance of the Macan amazing, frankly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.