User Tag List

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default BMW M4 vs Macan GTS

Would I be giving up much in passing acceleration switching to a Macan GTS and will road noise decrease significantly so that I could actually enjoy a high-end stereo? Thanks.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

The GTS has enough umpf for most public road traffic situations. However the M4 has definitely more overtake pull then a Macan GTS. I would look into the Macan Turbo (or even Turbo PP) if that is a priority. The cabin of any Macan will be much quieter then the M4. Which as you may know is artificially made loud inside, especially in sport mode. But here again you might be better off with a Turbo without PSE vs. the GTS that has PSE standard. I'd also stay away from the 21" tire options if road noise is a priority. The GTS is the "drivers" Macan. The Turbo is the "luxury" Macan. There will always be a trade off between the two.

Good luck!
Aoshi likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Not sure how it can be claimed that the GTS is the "driver's Macan" when the media is complaining about it's underpowered engine's turbo lag. I would think that designation would be reserved for the turbo PP.
Skinsfan likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNYC View Post
Not sure how it can be claimed that the GTS is the "driver's Macan" when the media is complaining about it's underpowered engine's turbo lag. I would think that designation would be reserved for the turbo PP.

In Sport mode I think the GTS is fun to drive. Lag is only really apparent without Sport mode on because the gear shifts seem slower too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Benz, trusted, BradB and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

Quote:
Opinion. Just like mine. Thanks for sharing.
Thunder and WGJP 993 like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

No question the GTS is fun to drive. And of course the price difference between a GTS and a PP is going to be substantial. It's easy to tell by the forum comments that there is a group of buyers who just is not going to go anywhere near a $100,000 price tag no matter how good it is.
Sarah Mocke likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Quote:
There's another thread that recently beat this to death. You may be familiar with it: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/user...-than-gts.html

As to the OPs original question - I'm familiar with both cars, and a) for most daily driving and spirited driving needs - no, you would not be giving up too much in passing acceleration and b) the Macan GTS is significantly quieter and smoother riding in comfort mode (even with 21" wheels) than the M3/M4, and sounds great. I find it much more enjoyable than the M3 on road trips.
My personal opinion, of course, but I think that's what you're asking.

Good luck.
robip, Benz and limulus like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage

I'm not sure about M4 or GTS but few months back I was tempted to sell my Macan S for a M3. I came across one at my nearby dealer (used) and went for a test drive. Immediately when the car gets above 30mph+ I notice the road noise, tire noise, etc.. all come alive. After the test drive, I get back into my Macan, it made me realize how much more comfortable and quieter Macan is compare to M3. Definitely more pleased with the reduced noise.
Arnold_T likes this.

2017 Macan S :: volcano grey metallic :: black interior :: 20' RS Spyder :: 18-way seats :: PP :: PASM+AS :: LCA :: black roof rail :: gloss black trim :: smoking pkg :: comfort lighting :: painted rear fascia :: Ordered in Oct 15' :: Delivered on 4/22/16.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

The M4 is faster and more responsive. I have 21" wheels and the Macan is still *far* quieter, more comfortable, tighter (build), and more compliant than an M4. The M4 is not an easy car to live with as a DD, IMO, because of the road noise and harsh ride.
Bluestraveler and WGJP 993 like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)

The M4 will beat the Macan in a straight line and in any track circumstance . A 911 will cream an M4 though at the track and the S through Turbo S will beat it in a straight .

Remember an SUV Vs a strong sports sedan or coupe is an unfair race but it is nice that the Macan is even considered .

A few years ago a head 2 head drag race showed how strong the M car is in a drag race.
MDJAK likes this.