User Tag List

229Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Default 2018 Audi Sq5 Vs you know who lol

A friend of mine just placed an order today for this refreshed vehicle. I started reading and wrote a list of how this car will be a direct rival to the base and S . It may even challenge those who are price conscious with a GTS or who consider the Macan timeline for its refresh . PS. I'd still take a GTS !!

Here's the list off the top of my head -

Base -
With the base the 4 loses against the 6 .The insane options really cream it .Porsche ought to just pack it up and call it quits

Against the Macan S -
With the S it's a harder contest . then it comes down to so many factors

1) Performance -- seems on paper near equal
2) Comfort - I'm not sure if the Audi has things like ventilated seats yet but it looks very close too.
3) Options - I hate the Macan S options price . Audi wins .
4) Reliability - Unknown .
5) Customer service - Porsche gives 80K loaners and white glove treatment - Porsche wins
6) Resale -- Audi tends to depreciate and the S as much as I dislike the options list it does tend to hold value . Porsche has a chance to win this.
8) Technology - I simply have no idea . I am very old school with modern technology .
9) Curb appeal -- Both are pretty cars

Conclusion -- I think this car will really rival the S
Louie Zoi and L_K like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Brief video introduction
WHT TGR likes this.
post #3 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Very nice.
Fake exhaust?
I think 'those people' will like it.
next......
Louie Zoi, Whit2017 and Thunder like this.

Rhodium Silver, Luxor beige, brushed alum, Prem Package Plus-14 way, PDLS, Bose, auto dim mirrors, heated seats frt & rear, steering wheel, vented frt seats, pano roof, entry and drive, delete model, smoker pack, park assist frt & rear with surround camera, 20" sports with colored crest, crest on front head rest. Lane change assist, Received 3/18/16 MY2017.

post #4 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)

Audi has eliminated the center differential on the Q5 which makes it a default front driver. When rear wheel traction is needed, a clutch engages sending some torque rearward. A second clutch can vary torque distribution between the rear wheels to aid in cornering. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can select the rear-wheel bias that we enjoy in the Macan. To me that's a big difference, but guess the proof will be in an actual test-drive.
yrralis1, synergize and Arnold_T like this.

'15 White S, Std Agate, Dk walnut, 18 way, RS Spyder w/ AS tires, A/S w/ PASM, PP+, Infotain, Body color side blades, LCA, 3-zone, Bose, Comfort lghtg, Hi gloss black, roof rails, smoking pckg (Wife's dd)

'17 GTS 'stripper'; VG, Agate/Pebble, 14-way, RS Spyders, E&D, LCA, SC, Seat vent, Nav (my dd)
post #5 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Very nice.
Fake exhaust?
I think 'those people' will like it.
next......
The exhaust is real. The trim is fake. It's just a styling issue . The conventional (hidden) exhaust pipes produce an authentic note . This isn't limited to an sq5 . Even the RS6 and R8 are trim pieces as well.

Here's a few other cars that opt for this (including Ferrari BTW) https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-f...rs-look-cheap/
post #6 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage

see that they are moving away from superchargers
post #7 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Audi has eliminated the center differential on the Q5 which makes it a default front driver. When rear wheel traction is needed, a clutch engages sending some torque rearward. A second clutch can vary torque distribution between the rear wheels to aid in cornering. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can select the rear-wheel bias that we enjoy in the Macan. To me that's a big difference, but guess the proof will be in an actual test-drive.

According to JD Powers the car can split the torque to the rear wheels in the Sq5
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles...di-sq5-preview

Quote from link -
" An optional S Sport Package takes the SQ5’s performance to the next level. It includes a sport rear differential that variably splits torque between the rear wheels, and can direct nearly all of the engine torque to a single rear wheel to maximize driving dynamics. A sport-tuned version of the optional adaptive air suspension is also included in this package, adding ride height adjustment to drop the vehicle 1.2 inches in Auto mode and raises it for extra clearance in Allroad and Lift/Offroad modes."
Hokie likes this.
post #8 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)

I thought I read that the Q5 is front wheel biased and the SQ5 has a 40/60 torque split making it rear biased! Anyone else read the same?
post #9 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)

Supercharges don't recycle energy the way turbos do, so when fuel efficiency becomes the singular driving force, SC will lose out.

2015 Macan S, Agate Grey, AS/PASM/PTV, 20" SD, Tow hitch and roof rails, No sunroof
1973 911S, Ivory White, MT5
1973 911RS, White/Blue, MT5
post #10 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I hate the look of sticking a tablet on the dashboard... seems like Audi is following the footsteps of MB

2016 Macan S Jet Black Metallic | Sport+ | Carbon Fiber Interior | BMC air filters | Cobb accessport V3 | Headlights - Philips X-tremeVision DS3 | Corner Lights - Philips Diamond Vision H7 | Fog Lights - Philips X-tremeVision LED H11 | PremiumShield full front + bumper