Porsche Macan Forum banner

2018 Audi Sq5 Vs you know who lol

82K views 177 replies 65 participants last post by  cafeswartz 
#1 ·
A friend of mine just placed an order today for this refreshed vehicle. I started reading and wrote a list of how this car will be a direct rival to the base and S . It may even challenge those who are price conscious with a GTS or who consider the Macan timeline for its refresh . PS. I'd still take a GTS !!

Here's the list off the top of my head -

Base -
With the base the 4 loses against the 6 .The insane options really cream it .Porsche ought to just pack it up and call it quits

Against the Macan S -
With the S it's a harder contest . then it comes down to so many factors

1) Performance -- seems on paper near equal
2) Comfort - I'm not sure if the Audi has things like ventilated seats yet but it looks very close too.
3) Options - I hate the Macan S options price . Audi wins .
4) Reliability - Unknown .
5) Customer service - Porsche gives 80K loaners and white glove treatment - Porsche wins
6) Resale -- Audi tends to depreciate and the S as much as I dislike the options list it does tend to hold value . Porsche has a chance to win this.
8) Technology - I simply have no idea . I am very old school with modern technology .
9) Curb appeal -- Both are pretty cars

Conclusion -- I think this car will really rival the S

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice.
Fake exhaust?
I think 'those people' will like it.
next......

#4 ·
Audi has eliminated the center differential on the Q5 which makes it a default front driver. When rear wheel traction is needed, a clutch engages sending some torque rearward. A second clutch can vary torque distribution between the rear wheels to aid in cornering. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can select the rear-wheel bias that we enjoy in the Macan. To me that's a big difference, but guess the proof will be in an actual test-drive.

#7 ·
Audi has eliminated the center differential on the Q5 which makes it a default front driver. When rear wheel traction is needed, a clutch engages sending some torque rearward. A second clutch can vary torque distribution between the rear wheels to aid in cornering. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can select the rear-wheel bias that we enjoy in the Macan. To me that's a big difference, but guess the proof will be in an actual test-drive.

According to JD Powers the car can split the torque to the rear wheels in the Sq5
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/new-car-previews/2018-audi-sq5-preview

Quote from link -
" An optional S Sport Package takes the SQ5’s performance to the next level. It includes a sport rear differential that variably splits torque between the rear wheels, and can direct nearly all of the engine torque to a single rear wheel to maximize driving dynamics. A sport-tuned version of the optional adaptive air suspension is also included in this package, adding ride height adjustment to drop the vehicle 1.2 inches in Auto mode and raises it for extra clearance in Allroad and Lift/Offroad modes."

#9 ·
Supercharges don't recycle energy the way turbos do, so when fuel efficiency becomes the singular driving force, SC will lose out.

#11 ·
My friend bought a new Q5 in 2014. The exterior styling was classy until I looked at the interior. It was pathetically disappointing, like in a low budget car. Much worse than my Lexus and my Macan's standard interior is definitely one step or 2 above the Lexus.

Wonder if things have got any better in the past few years.

#14 ·
In the base model you get some cheap leatherette and plastic panels. My wife's Q5 had a chestnut brown nappa leather and real aluminum trim. Along with the flat bottom steering wheel and 3D nav, I had no complaints on the interior, it was very nice. Other than the carbon trim it was identical to my S4

Reactions: L_K
#15 ·
You are right.

But my Macan has the base/standard interior and is much better.

Reactions: Louie Zoi
#16 ·
Audi guy told Autoweek that the new 'clutch' based 4 wheel drive system could handle up to 369 lb-ft torque, exactly the torque of the SQ5, so I'm thinking the SQ5 also defaults to front drive (ie, front clutch de-couples the rears) under normal driving conditions, as opposed to full-time 4 wheel drive like the Macan. Am I wrong? Also he stated the system can send up to 75% torque to the rears under hard acceleration in 200 miliseconds or so. Another mag reported that the Sport Diff could send nearly 100% of the REARWARD torque (not engine torque) to a single wheel. I know JD Power stated engine torque.The Sport Diff seems to be a handling option ie, it splits and varies the torque to each rear wheel. Porsche PTV is a brake-based system, right?

Ok, I know this is a Macan forum, but I'm always interested in the technology of competitive products, so if anyone can clear this up, kudos (in caps).:)

#31 ·
Audi guy told Autoweek that the new 'clutch' based 4 wheel drive system could handle up to 369 lb-ft torque, exactly the torque of the SQ5, so I'm thinking the SQ5 also defaults to front drive (ie, front clutch de-couples the rears) under normal driving conditions, as opposed to full-time 4 wheel drive like the Macan. Am I wrong? Also he stated the system can send up to 75% torque to the rears under hard acceleration in 200 miliseconds or so. Another mag reported that the Sport Diff could send nearly 100% of the REARWARD torque (not engine torque) to a single wheel. I know JD Power stated engine torque.The Sport Diff seems to be a handling option ie, it splits and varies the torque to each rear wheel. Porsche PTV is a brake-based system, right?

Ok, I know this is a Macan forum, but I'm always interested in the technology of competitive products, so if anyone can clear this up, kudos (in caps).
PTV on the Cayman is a brake-based system. The Macan system is an active differential, which is why they call it PTV+ instead of just PTV. It's not an OEM Porsche product so it's likely the same product from the same supplier on the SQ5.

Reactions: Hokie
#17 ·
It does not sound like the SQ5 defaults to FWD under normal conditions, found this online somewhere...

The quattro permanent all-wheel drive contributes to the sporty handling. During normal driving, it distributes the engine power with a slight rear-axle bias. When necessary, the lion's share of the power is sent to the axle with the better traction. Wheel-selective torque control is active on all types of surfaces. During dynamic cornering, the software function slightly brakes the inside wheels. The car turns itself into the curve ever so slightly. Turn-in behavior remains neutral longer, and handling is stable, precise and agile.

The optional sport differential further optimizes handling by actively distributing torque between the rear wheels via two superposition stages. It sends more torque to the outside rear wheel when accelerating out of particularly tight radii, making the Audi SQ5 even more agile. The sport differential literally pushes the car into the curve, nipping understeer in the bud. Its management is integrated into the Audi drive select control system, and it runs over a central control unit, the electronic chassis platform.

A five-link suspension front and rear lays the foundation for the sporty driving characteristics of the new Audi SQ5. The complex design provides for greater stability at the limit and combines increased agility with significantly improved comfort. The standard damper control features a particularly wide spread between comfort and dynamic. The adaptive CDC dampers (continuous damping control) are integrated into the Audi drive select system along with the engine, steering, tiptronic and optional sport differential. This lets the driver control the characteristics of the engine and suspension over several modes. The S-specific adaptive air suspension is available as an option. This system allows the driver to adapt not just the damping, but also the ride height to the respective driving situation.

#20 ·
I am very interested in the new 2018 SQ5. Right now it is #1 on my list to replace my Macan S when the warranty is up. At least until Porsche does a full redesign of the Macan, I think the new SQ5 may have it beat in most areas. I haven't test driven it of course, and reviews are sparse so far. But based on what I know now, here is where I see SQ5 has the advantages:

1) Price - you will be able to get nearly all the options Porsche offers on the Macan for substantially less. The SQ5 will offer vented seats, semi-autonomous driving, air suspension, torque vectoring (sports differential). Unless comparing with the Turbo, the SQ5 will perform similarly to the S and possibly the GTS.

2) Updated interior styling and infotainment. Obviously subjective, but the the new A4 and Q7 are amazing inside and have been very well received. The Q5 will follow suit.

3) Safety - With the target demographic and sales volume for the Macan it should really be rated by IIHS. The Macan is probably safe, but the new Q5 and SQ5 will likely be 5 star, best safety pick like the other recently redesigned audi models.

4) Interior space and practicality - Q5 design has more cargo space

Areas where the Macan still wins:

1) Name/badge prestige. Matters more to some than others.

2) Service - maybe in some areas. The Porsche dealership in my area give Audi loaners and service is similar at Audi vs Porsche dealer.

Also, the Turbo, especially with Performance Pack will still outperform the SQ5 by a long shot. But significantly higher pricing really puts the Turbo in a whole different class.

It seems a number of people are comparing the current (2017 and earlier) SQ5 to the Macan. There is a big difference. The older SQ5 is based on a 9 year old platform. The interior styling is dated. It uses an older (but still pretty good) supercharged engine. The 2018 redesign uses a more powerful turbocharged engine and interior styling is significantly updated.

#22 ·
I'm sure the Q5's and versions of are and will be nicely updated in all areas and will do well. I'm very happy for more people to drive more Q's and less M's ;)

In all seriousness, I do think the new SQ5 is nice but, I actually like the less boxy lines of the current model. I think I'll stick with my M acan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
Agree w/ @WHT TGR here. The new Q5, while handsome, looks a bit 'upright' and 'chunky' to me. I don't think it breaks new ground in styling.

#24 ·
All new generation Audi Q series SUV's look too boxy to me.

Reactions: Louie Zoi and Hokie
#28 ·
Hey @kcrunch, I believe you've talked yourself into a new SQ5; certainly not a bad choice. Please report your impressions on this forum when you test drive/take delivery.

Reactions: L_K and Arnold_T
#29 ·
Don't hold your breath! I plan on keeping my Macan S for at least a couple more years. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the Macan and think it's the best vehicle in it's class currently on the market. But the small luxury SUV segment is hot and there is a bound to be a lot of stiff competition vs the much smaller sports car segment where Porsche dominates and can more easily command premium prices.

The new SQ5 isn't even available yet. It looks good on paper but I definitely need to see some reviews and impressions. But I also want to be objective about evaluating the competition and I try not to drink too much of the tasty Porsche marketing kool-aid (although perhaps I already have since I own a Cayman and Macan!)

#30 · (Edited)
Really quite a pointless thread, why in the he'll would anyone want to debate the "pros and cons" of the new SQ5 vs the Macan when all they're doing is quoting paper reviews?? Lol, it's gonna be a great vehicle with lots of improvements over the last generation but let's let a few people who know what they're talking about DRIVE it first.

And as an FYI, all Audi platforms are FWD architecture including the revised MLB chassis the Q/SQ5 is based on. Quattro works wonders but at the end of the day, they're FWD biased (despite variable F to R torque splits controlled electronically) with the inherent understeer at the limits that goes along with it. The Macan is based on the MLB chassis as well but Porsche didn't settle for its limitations described above. They engineered their version of MLB as a rear driver with the ability to channel torque to the front when needed.....the complete opposite of the Audi/VW philosophy. That's why the Macan is a Porsche and the SQ5.... isn't. Sorry @yrralis1, for the moment you're a little off base and a bit premature to be equating the new Audi with the Macan S.

#35 ·
1) Many of us ordered out Macan cars in 2014 sight unseen and without a test drive . Few if any of the journalist discussions were inaccurate . One can see the photos , hear the sound , and get somewhat of a feel without a hands on real world application . Of course there will be nothing like actual seat time but even a 10 minute test drive which most end up with isnt really a full experience . In short .. speculation is part of fun of being first in line (IE my friend who placed the order ).

2) This new Sq5 is NOT the last one . It's been discussed on the thread .

#34 ·
A few points --

1) First off my comparison is merely to discuss an alternative to the 65K price point question . This pits both the base and the Macan S in the scope . My only reference to a GTS is regarding the shopper who is over budget on his Macan S and no matter how many times he configures it realizes he has to get a GTS (and he's financially nervous about it) .In the past he felt there were no alternatives . Now he does have one .

2) Just as fake trim or odd screens are viewed as negatives so are the existence of side blades or ill positioned AC vents . We are not talking about the 911 or R8 where the price is higher and expectations must be at or near perfect . These cars are 65K daily driving CUV's and I can accept that none will be 100 percent . However .. they are both pretty darn good.

3) The nameplate -- there are some people who feel they must parade in a Porsche. Others (like my friend's wife) prefer a more anonymous nameplate . Then there are people like me who do not care . I simply want the best I can afford in that moment . I would not buy any of the cars discussed Base Macan , Macan S , Sq5) . I look to the GTS, Turbo , and now the Performance package and look ahead to the refresh .

4) The refresh - This was not discussed but it is relevant . This 18 Audi will be new and in that same breath we are comparing it with the lower trim models of the original Macan launched in 2014 . I do believe that Porsches refresh has to lay this all to rest . I think that this competition can improve all the cars .

5) As stated the Sq5 can perform well , has quality option packages (ie . sport package, cold weather package , summer package ) and many of the goodies in suspension and technology .

Conclusion - This is not a horrible car and it's about time amidst the F-pace and BMW X's appears a newbie with a bit of sparkle .

#53 ·
When I was returning my A7 at lease end, the Audi team encouraged me to test drive the current SQ5. The specs compared very favorably to the Macan S on paper. Plus they were offering significant discounts.

I had the SQ5 for several hours but unfortunately never bonded with it. It had plenty of power but the higher SUV like driving position, lack of steering feel, forward biased traction, less authoritive shifting, and overall subdued styling only reinforced my intention of ordering a Macan.

I'm willing to bet the new SQ5 will also fall short of the Macan driving experience.

Never judge on specs alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.