45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
gtr

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Default Macan Vs 2017 Panamera.

I love my primary daily the Macan GTS but with the infant seat and tight back seat room, it makes more sense to go larger. Wife has a larger car but when we take mine I get nothing but complaints from Family members whom do no not sugar coat anything.

I am probably going to test drive one in few weeks. The rear seats are larger but only two seats in the back. I'm not even sure if that works at all with a baby seat not to mention a smaller trunk.

Anyone know if the Panamera is family friendly or not?

Maybe waiting for the next Cayenne or SQ7 maybe better idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
when we take mine I get nothing but complaints from Family members whom do no not sugar coat anything.

You are going to spend 50+grand just to avoid hearing this drama ? I'd buy a 911 and hand each one of them a bus pass (or tell them to take their own car or walk).

As for fitting children .. lease a Honda Accord just for them to be comfortable .
RJMcInnis, Benz, trusted and 8 others like this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)

I have my Macan as a daily driver and my wife drives a bigger SUV which we use on weekends to drive the kids around. She has been driving different BMW X5 for the last 10 years and two months ago with our leasing coming into an end I spent a lot of time trying to find the new car for our family. I test drove several of the luxury SUV available in the market and all had pros and cons and at the end it came down to the best cost/benefit we could get. The winner was the Mercedes GL450 which we bought as a CPO with very low mileage avoiding taking the hit of the depreciation of a new car. As for your question regarding the new Cayenne vs the SQ7 you probably have to wait for them to be released. The current Cayenne looks tired and it is too expensive for what it offers for our needs. The Q7 (not the SQ) has the latest technology but looks as ugly as a minivan and definitely drives like one. It is not an SUV in my opinion but an Audi minivan which was not what we wanted.
tubernator and synergize like this.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)

I've driven a few Panameras and I like them but I don't see them as family friendly. You should look at either a MB GLE or an Audi Q7.

Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)

My Macan will be 2 years old this month, but as my boys are growing I am running into the same problem. If I put the seat in a comfortable position for my legs my six year old can not my sit behind me comfortably. I spoke the dealer about putting a deposit down for a 2018 Cayenne, but Do not want a base Cayenne and to expect almost a year for a GTS. It looks like I will most likely buying a 2017 Cayenne GTS.

2017 Cayenne GTS - Black
2015 Macan S - Sapphire Blue (sold)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:28 PM

The Cayenne GTS is a nice and Sporty SUV. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it.

rkirshner likes this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirshner View Post
My Macan will be 2 years old this month, but as my boys are growing I am running into the same problem. If I put the seat in a comfortable position for my legs my six year old can not my sit behind me comfortably. I spoke the dealer about putting a deposit down for a 2018 Cayenne, but Do not want a base Cayenne and to expect almost a year for a GTS. It looks like I will most likely buying a 2017 Cayenne GTS.
I have a question. It probably could even be an entire thread topic . At what point does a compromise car price out being a compromise ? What I mean is that a Macan is somewhat of a compromise. It's not a sports car or sports sedan . It's not a full size SUV or a Minivan . What it does offer is an ideal blend of all of them .

But then a person may find himself needing more . It's usually not in the direction of sport but rather in the direction of passenger space or size . Do you compromise further and go into big bucks to do it ? Does the new car move further away from a first choice into a necessity and must it be a high priced one ? Why spend so much to have something which isnt really a number 1 ?

I came from owning 911 cars and before that mostly sports cars . Most people didn't ask me to take them anywhere unless we used their car . Once older any second car was a second fiddle vehicle . I usually chose something above total mediocrity (like a BMW 3 ) but by no means lavish . I would have been ok with a Honda or Toyota if price was an issue. I would have chosen a Honda or Toyota if I had small children mainly because the car offers a lot in space . Children can place a lot of wear on a car . That's why i even suggest a lease because its temporary.

I could see buying a Cayenne GTS if it truly was a car which someone dreamed of and loved but to spend 100K and come out of a need rather than a want would be too tough to digest .

The same goes for a Panamera . It's an expensive car and a great passenger car . Utility space is mediocre though compared to an SUV. It's just a lot to spend on something unless it was a first choice car.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:59 AM

Nothing to do with the OP or the reason for this thread but, you do bring up a good point Sir. Many of us spend money on things we don't truly have a need, want or passion for based on a perception of quality and or earned merit.

It's an individual's prerogative and nothing wrong with that if one can afford it. Unfortunately, some can't and wind up spending money they don't have, to keep up with the Jones's. There are plenty of comparable and or better products in all industries but many times it's the brand perception or recognition that wins.

OR

Maybe some neighborhoods just don't allow any vehicles that are not high end German, Italian or British brands

ijisi and pop.tremuloides like this.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I love my primary daily the Macan GTS but with the infant seat and tight back seat room, it makes more sense to go larger. Wife has a larger car but when we take mine I get nothing but complaints from Family members whom do no not sugar coat anything.

I am probably going to test drive one in few weeks. The rear seats are larger but only two seats in the back. I'm not even sure if that works at all with a baby seat not to mention a smaller trunk.

Anyone know if the Panamera is family friendly or not?

Maybe waiting for the next Cayenne or SQ7 maybe better idea?
Your choice.....

We actually test drove a Panny a week ago and it did not fit our criteria for "furry friends".....

Wife and I have two border collies and, to be honest, it was horrible for them. They did not get into the Panny but is stunk from our perspective.

Case in point, We have an Audi A5 as a daily driver and it is nice for both the wife and I but, the lack of headroom in the rear seats is a PITA for the dogs.

Granted if you are going to put children in the back, with car seats they will be MORE than fine. But in a year or two/three.....will they be happy in the back?

IMO if you are looking for a "family car", the Panamera will be a disappointment....heck we wouldn't want to put both of our 40 lb Border collies in it for a trip that was for any length of time.

Is the Panny nice....heck YEAH! Awesome car! But we get more "flexible room" in our 2006 VW Jetta than the Panny.

Suggestion, put the child seats in the Macan you already have and see if the kids can "kick" their feet freely. If so, then it works for now. If not then look at another larger vehicle.

This is under the assumption you only have two kiddos and no one else.

As far as the Q7 and variants, it is a nice vehicle...more space but not as nice as the Macan you already have......be certain to see just what you need.

2017 Macan S Volcano Grey delivered 1 Jun 2016
Build ....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT TGR View Post
Nothing to do with the OP or the reason for this thread but, you do bring up a good point Sir. Many of us spend money on things we don't truly have a need, want or passion for based on a perception of quality and or earned merit.

It's an individual's prerogative and nothing wrong with that if one can afford it. Unfortunately, some can't and wind up spending money they don't have, to keep up with the Jones's. There are plenty of comparable and or better products in all industries but many times it's the brand perception or recognition that wins.

OR

Maybe some neighborhoods just don't allow any vehicles that are not high end German, Italian or British brands

I did pose it as a question . As for the Op -- I feel when riding in someone elses car who is taking a person somewhere there are only two words to say and they are "thank you. "

So do I think the Panamera is a good family car? No I dont .

If he kept his Macan and leased a Honda Accord or Minivan it would cost less and satisfy the needs of family vehicle better than a Panamera .
WHT TGR likes this.