User Tag List

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Default Trunk/hatch led's

Those two little led lights in the trunk don't produce much light. Any solution for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

A flashlight. I need one whenever I look for something in the spare tire compartment.
Shark and synergize like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage

battery operated LED puck light. Home depot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puck light.JPG (56.8 KB, 189 views)
Shark, synergize and boldenmd like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Boxster GTS
2013 Mercedes e350
2008 Ford F250
2008 Airstream 25FB

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macan4me View Post
Those two little led lights in the trunk don't produce much light. Any solution for that?
Yeah they are weak. Plenty of apps to user your phone's camera flash as a flashlight. iPhone control center has it built in now.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraveler View Post
battery operated LED puck light. Home depot
Excellent solution!

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:42 PM
gir

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macan4me View Post

Yes seams ridiculous they installed a puny tiny little single LED. You can find dozens of much brighter replacements for these on EBay and Amazon listed under Audi, VW, Lamborghini or Skoda and footwell or glovebox lights. Even some that can be switched white/blue/red.

There are 7 in the Macan in footwells, trunk and glove box and all have an Audi logo on them. Here's an example replacement from EBay:

2x LED Luggage Footwell Door Courtesy Light No Error For AUDI A4 VW SKODA Lambo | eBay

Unfortunately the left side trunk light hole has no room for slightly deeper lights so I used this replacement LED assembly :

For Audi A4 S4 B8 2008-2015 4x LED Error Free F&R White footwell Lights Lamp SMD | eBay

You just snap the top of the existing light after you remove it. There is no glue, just springy plastic snaps that you can pry open with a flat bladed screwdriver. Then you replace the LED assembly with this much brighter 6 LED one. The original has just one.
Louie Zoi likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:07 PM
FJG

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gir View Post
Yes seams ridiculous they installed a puny tiny little single LED. You can find dozens of much brighter replacements for these on EBay and Amazon listed under Audi, VW, Lamborghini or Skoda and footwell or glovebox lights. Even some that can be switched white/blue/red.

There are 7 in the Macan in footwells, trunk and glove box and all have an Audi logo on them. Here's an example replacement from EBay:

2x LED Luggage Footwell Door Courtesy Light No Error For AUDI A4 VW SKODA Lambo | eBay

Unfortunately the left side trunk light hole has no room for slightly deeper lights so I used this replacement LED assembly :

For Audi A4 S4 B8 2008-2015 4x LED Error Free F&R White footwell Lights Lamp SMD | eBay

You just snap the top of the existing light after you remove it. There is no glue, just springy plastic snaps that you can pry open with a flat bladed screwdriver. Then you replace the LED assembly with this much brighter 6 LED one. The original has just one.
Neat! So, for the second link (the array), is the end result the same fit/finish/cover of the Macan installation, but the "innards are changed" and brighter? Do you find it significantly better? (My cargo area is black, and there is no visibility at night with the stock illumination.)

Also, is it reversible (can we go back to original config, and nothing with the stock setup has been altered/damaged)? Thanks!

2017 Macan S: Rhodium Silver | Black & Garnet Red Leather | 20" Sport Design Wheels | Sport+ Chrono | Porsche Torque Vector+ | Porsche Active Suspension Mgmt Air | Sport Exhaust in Silver | Premium Pkg+ | LED Headlights | 18-way Seats | Adaptive Cruise Ctrl & Porsche Active Safe | Park Assist Surround-View | Lane-Keep Assist & Lane-Chg Assist | Porsche Connect (CarPlay) | Black Roof-Rails | Black Logos | Black Door Handles | Black Thule AeroBlade Edge Roof Crossbars
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 PM
gir

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJG View Post
Neat! So, for the second link (the array), is the end result the same fit/finish/cover of the Macan installation, but the "innards are changed" and brighter? Do you find it significantly better? (My cargo area is black, and there is no visibility at night with the stock illumination.)

Also, is it reversible (can we go back to original config, and nothing with the stock setup has been altered/damaged)? Thanks!

Yes, indistinguishable unless you know you are looking for the very blurred image of 6 yellow LED's versus one and that is hard to see! And reversible.

I'd say MUCH brighter say about 10X brighter . The replacement complete LED lamp in the other link is slightly brighter still and gets warm.
FJG likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)

Keep a light wand like this or similar in the net on the cargo cover, shoukd illuminate the entire trunk area from above and pull out for use outside the car as needed
Roadside Safety Light-Up Baton | Truck n Tow.com

2015 Macan S: Silver on Black
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

I took "gir" (post#6) advise and ordered the 6 led lights. Much more light now in the trunk area. Order came with 4ea 6 led lights. I used 2 in the trunk area and 2 under the dash entry lights. These led's are the same size as the oem led's. so they fit inside the lighting housing. You will have to fiddle around with the 2 prongs so they fit in the wiring plug.
TripleL and gir like this.