LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 PM
gir

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santastico View Post
I have a question not related to the Macan but thought you guys could help me. I bought a Mercedes GL450 for my wife and I am trying to change all the interior light bulbs from halogen to LED. Yes, and I thought only Porsche was still using the outdated yellow lights on their cars. Well, the light bulbs are 194 bulbs and I ordered Philips LED 194 which look amazing. The only problem is that when I installed them on the foot rest area for the front and rear passengers I realized they don't dim once you start the car and stay lit all the way. The way the Mercedes foot rest area works is that when you unlock the car the lights will illuminate the foot area but when you start the car they will dim and stay vey dimmed to just give you a bit of light. Well, since the LED that I bought don't dim you have to drive will full light on the foot area which is very annoying. Any thoughts on 194 LED bulbs that dim? Tks!!!!

You need to buy more "dumb" bulbs that just use a resistor to regulate. Sounds like you have ones with a regulator that tries to compensate for varying voltage.

It's hard to tell as even regulators based bulbs are so cheap but maybe buy one or two at low price on Ebay to try?

The ones in this post use a simple resistor and dim in the footwells though I found them too bright for the driver side.
santastico and SoCalS5 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJG View Post
Got these installed, only took ~15 minutes, with nothing more than a large and a small flat-blade screwdriver. Result is a MUCH brighter cargo area, with original OEM fit & finish, and completely reversible back to original config.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Audi-A4-...705&rmvSB=true

Thanks @gir for the tip! I've documented my install (with photos) for those who are concerned about messing with their baby -- nothing gets damaged/broken. However, this forum doesn't allow attachment due to file size... :-/

Trying Google Drive, link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0B...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks for the guide, ordered the lights the day you posted it, worked out perfectly.
Took just over a month to get here.

Before:

After:
RJMcInnis and FJG like this.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

A month ?!!!! Dang......just ordered mine today, ship to Toronto.

2016 Macan Turbo (Rhodium)

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

Same here. Ordered Jan 11th, still waiting...
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gir View Post
Yes seams ridiculous they installed a puny tiny little single LED. You can find dozens of much brighter replacements for these on EBay and Amazon listed under Audi, VW, Lamborghini or Skoda and footwell or glovebox lights. Even some that can be switched white/blue/red.

There are 7 in the Macan in footwells, trunk and glove box and all have an Audi logo on them. Here's an example replacement from EBay:

2x LED Luggage Footwell Door Courtesy Light No Error For AUDI A4 VW SKODA Lambo | eBay

Unfortunately the left side trunk light hole has no room for slightly deeper lights so I used this replacement LED assembly :

For Audi A4 S4 B8 2008-2015 4x LED Error Free F&R White footwell Lights Lamp SMD | eBay

You just snap the top of the existing light after you remove it. There is no glue, just springy plastic snaps that you can pry open with a flat bladed screwdriver. Then you replace the LED assembly with this much brighter 6 LED one. The original has just one.
I forgot to update after my install of these LEDs but a VG find & detailed install tip from GIR.

Thank you much as this is how the cargo area lights should be configured when they arrive from Leipzig IMO.

2017 Macan S
2013 Acura RDX
2008 Touareg T2 further back
1984 911SC Guards Red wayyy back
Many BMWs prior, in the industry then
w/ the first personally owned a '76 3.0Si