Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:47 PM
FJG

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macan4me View Post
I took "gir" (post#6) advise and ordered the 6 led lights. Much more light now in the trunk area. Order came with 4ea 6 led lights. I used 2 in the trunk area and 2 under the dash entry lights. These led's are the same size as the oem led's. so they fit inside the lighting housing. You will have to fiddle around with the 2 prongs so they fit in the wiring plug.
Ordered a set, waiting for arrival, will post my experience!
NETX likes this.

2017 Macan S: Rhodium Silver | Black & Garnet Red Leather | 20" Sport Design Wheels | Sport+ Chrono | Porsche Torque Vector+ | Porsche Active Suspension Mgmt Air | Sport Exhaust in Silver | Premium Pkg+ | LED Headlights | 18-way Seats | Adaptive Cruise Ctrl & Porsche Active Safe | Park Assist Surround-View | Lane-Keep Assist & Lane-Chg Assist | Porsche Connect (CarPlay) | Black Roof-Rails | Black Logos | Black Door Handles | Black Thule AeroBlade Edge Roof Crossbars
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 PM
FJG

Default Superb $14 (USD) Modification!

Got these installed, only took ~15 minutes, with nothing more than a large and a small flat-blade screwdriver. Result is a MUCH brighter cargo area, with original OEM fit & finish, and completely reversible back to original config.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Audi-A4-...705&rmvSB=true

Thanks @gir for the tip! I've documented my install (with photos) for those who are concerned about messing with their baby -- nothing gets damaged/broken. However, this forum doesn't allow attachment due to file size... :-/

Trying Google Drive, link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0B...ew?usp=sharing
NETX, ABusLux, Rican and 1 others like this.

2017 Macan S: Rhodium Silver | Black & Garnet Red Leather | 20" Sport Design Wheels | Sport+ Chrono | Porsche Torque Vector+ | Porsche Active Suspension Mgmt Air | Sport Exhaust in Silver | Premium Pkg+ | LED Headlights | 18-way Seats | Adaptive Cruise Ctrl & Porsche Active Safe | Park Assist Surround-View | Lane-Keep Assist & Lane-Chg Assist | Porsche Connect (CarPlay) | Black Roof-Rails | Black Logos | Black Door Handles | Black Thule AeroBlade Edge Roof Crossbars

Last edited by FJG; 01-07-2017 at 04:34 PM.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJG View Post
Got these installed, only took ~15 minutes, with nothing more than a large and a small flat-blade screwdriver. Result is a MUCH brighter cargo area, with original OEM fit & finish, and completely reversible back to original config.

For Audi A4 S4 B8 2008-2015 4x LED Error Free F&R White footwell Lights Lamp SMD | eBay

Thanks @gir for the tip! I've documented my install (with photos) for those who are concerned about messing with their baby -- nothing gets damaged/broken. However, this forum doesn't allow attachment due to file size... :-/

Trying Google Drive, link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0B...ew?usp=sharing
Time for a TY to GIR for the initial tip as well to you FJG for the install walk thru, my LEDs are enroute.

Slight confusion though as I wait, do these also fit in the footwells or any other interior locations besides the cargo area?
FJG likes this.

2017 Macan S
2013 Acura RDX
2008 Touareg T2 further back
1984 911SC Guards Red wayyy back
Many BMWs prior, in the industry then
w/ the first personally owned a '76 3.0Si
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

I know that they work for the front footwell lights. I don't see why they wouldent fit other lights.
NETX likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macan4me View Post
I know that they work for the front footwell lights. I don't see why they wouldent fit other lights.
Thx for that Mac4me, what I gleaned as well after reading the earlier posts again.

This path of swapping out interior lights for LEDs is a previously traveled one, went down it in 2008 w/ a same model year Touareg T2 & really miss the OEM blue instrumentation lights it had.
fincher likes this.

2017 Macan S
2013 Acura RDX
2008 Touareg T2 further back
1984 911SC Guards Red wayyy back
Many BMWs prior, in the industry then
w/ the first personally owned a '76 3.0Si
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 PM
FJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETX View Post
Time for a TY to GIR for the initial tip as well to you FJG for the install walk thru, my LEDs are enroute.

Slight confusion though as I wait, do these also fit in the footwells or any other interior locations besides the cargo area?
Agree, this forum is great for tips!

I didn't install the extras in my footwells, as my '17 Macan has PCM controls to brighten/dim all interior lights (footwells, door handles, etc.), and I don't set to full brightness as is. (Prefer a darker cabin at night.)

For cargo, I could not see much of anything with the stock lights and appreciate this clean solution. I just used the cargo area after dark, and the upgrade is very nice for illumination. Here's a photo in the dark with no other lighting but the newly-installed LEDs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2683.jpg (71.3 KB, 104 views)

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)

I have a question not related to the Macan but thought you guys could help me. I bought a Mercedes GL450 for my wife and I am trying to change all the interior light bulbs from halogen to LED. Yes, and I thought only Porsche was still using the outdated yellow lights on their cars. Well, the light bulbs are 194 bulbs and I ordered Philips LED 194 which look amazing. The only problem is that when I installed them on the foot rest area for the front and rear passengers I realized they don't dim once you start the car and stay lit all the way. The way the Mercedes foot rest area works is that when you unlock the car the lights will illuminate the foot area but when you start the car they will dim and stay vey dimmed to just give you a bit of light. Well, since the LED that I bought don't dim you have to drive will full light on the foot area which is very annoying. Any thoughts on 194 LED bulbs that dim? Tks!!!!

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM
FJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by santastico View Post
I have a question not related to the Macan but thought you guys could help me. I bought a Mercedes GL450 for my wife and I am trying to change all the interior light bulbs from halogen to LED. Yes, and I thought only Porsche was still using the outdated yellow lights on their cars. Well, the light bulbs are 194 bulbs and I ordered Philips LED 194 which look amazing. The only problem is that when I installed them on the foot rest area for the front and rear passengers I realized they don't dim once you start the car and stay lit all the way. The way the Mercedes foot rest area works is that when you unlock the car the lights will illuminate the foot area but when you start the car they will dim and stay vey dimmed to just give you a bit of light. Well, since the LED that I bought don't dim you have to drive will full light on the foot area which is very annoying. Any thoughts on 194 LED bulbs that dim? Tks!!!!
I expect it would take a controller somewhere in the vehicle, if you can't find replacement LEDs that have the dimming controls built-in.

For traditional (incandescent) lights, you simply reduce the voltage (or limit the current) going to the bulb, and it burns cooler & emits less light. Like the old dimmers in houses, very simple device in-line with (or power source feed to) the bulb.

For LEDs, they are semiconductor devices that need a particular voltage bias / current value to operate and emit light. Not a voltage(current)/heat-light correlation like a traditional filament. A traditional dimmer or simple reduction in voltage/current generally will not work. LEDs can be "dimmed" by using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to vary the on/off cycle at high frequency. The longer the "off" time, the dimmer the overall light emission will appear. For more than you wanted to know, see: How to Dim an LED Light Quality | DigiKey

However, some household LED bulbs are now dimmable and incorporate the circuitry (e.g. PWM) into the bulb, or they use a special dimmer controller in the wall. I imagine our newer LED cars have a central dimming PWM controller that feeds all of the LEDs that are on the same circuit (e.g., all the interior bulbs dim in synch).

You can google to find LED dimmers on Amazon or eBay, but if not incorporated into the LED replacement bulb unit itself, you'll likely need to do some wiring tracing & mods... Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-91...FEARW72M4KECKQ

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)

Wow!!!! Tks for the detailed response. You are correct that the Macan may have a central dimmable control since I can see my LED bulbs dimming. I am not very into making mods in my cars so no clue how to install this on the Mercedes. All I did was to replace the bulbs and as I said I now have 4 LED bulbs lit at full strenght while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJG View Post
I expect it would take a controller somewhere in the vehicle, if you can't find replacement LEDs that have the dimming controls built-in.

For traditional (incandescent) lights, you simply reduce the voltage (or limit the current) going to the bulb, and it burns cooler & emits less light. Like the old dimmers in houses, very simple device in-line with (or power source feed to) the bulb.

For LEDs, they are semiconductor devices that need a particular voltage bias / current value to operate and emit light. Not a voltage(current)/heat-light correlation like a traditional filament. A traditional dimmer or simple reduction in voltage/current generally will not work. LEDs can be "dimmed" by using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to vary the on/off cycle at high frequency. The longer the "off" time, the dimmer the overall light emission will appear. For more than you wanted to know, see: How to Dim an LED Light Quality | DigiKey

However, some household LED bulbs are now dimmable and incorporate the circuitry (e.g. PWM) into the bulb, or they use a special dimmer controller in the wall. I imagine our newer LED cars have a central dimming PWM controller that feeds all of the LEDs that are on the same circuit (e.g., all the interior bulbs dim in synch).

You can google to find LED dimmers on Amazon or eBay, but if not incorporated into the LED replacement bulb unit itself, you'll likely need to do some wiring tracing & mods... Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-91...FEARW72M4KECKQ

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.