User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default Connect vs connect plus

I know there are probably 20 threads on this already...I just need a quick answer!
My question is...does the connect plus do everything the connect does without subscribing to a cell provider?
The reason I ask is our sa is saying we need navigation and connect plus and I don't see the need when you can use maps from you I Phone...but will have it put in if just for resale value!
Also...one more quick question...anyone have any regrets about an option they opted out of and wished they'd had installed?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage

Unfortunately I haven't found a quick answer to your first or second question......welcome to new age electronics. The many threads give you the complexities as well as they are understood. Oh, and then there's that QH1 voice option not on the configurator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Boxster GTS
2013 Mercedes e350
2008 Ford F250
2008 Airstream 25FB
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraveler View Post
Unfortunately I haven't found a quick answer to your first or second question......welcome to new age electronics. The many threads give you the complexities as well as they are understood. Oh, and then there's that QH1 voice option not on the configurator.

It does get quite confusing after a while trying to sift through all of the info available. Thinking maybe "heads or tails" will have to be the deciding vote!
I'm conditioned to buying vehicles that come loaded up and your only option would be color. All of these choices can really get a mans head spinning🤔
WHT TGR, Benz and limulus like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dial911 View Post
I know there are probably 20 threads on this already...I just need a quick answer!
My question is...does the connect plus do everything the connect does without subscribing to a cell provider?
The reason I ask is our sa is saying we need navigation and connect plus and I don't see the need when you can use maps from you I Phone...but will have it put in if just for resale value!
Also...one more quick question...anyone have any regrets about an option they opted out of and wished they'd had installed?

Thx
If you don't care about nav on the car screen and plan to use your iphone screen for nav, get nothing.
If you want nav without having to use an iphone, get nav.
If you want to use your iphone for nav and see it on your car screen, get connect.
If you want nav and traffic without having to use an iphone, get nav and connect plus (and pay a monthly fee).

Connect plus requires nav.
WHT TGR, fincher, SoCalS5 and 5 others like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed McGrath View Post
If you don't care about nav on the car screen and plan to use your iphone screen for nav, get nothing.
If you want to use your iphone for nav and see it on your car screen, get connect.
If you want nav and traffic without having to use an iphone, get nav and connect plus (and pay a monthly fee).

Option 3 or C is what I chose on my order. My iphone works just fine for navigation and putting it on the screen is the cherry on top.
fincher and Dial911 like this.

2017 GTS White/Red ordered 22 Nov 2016 /PEC ATL delivery number 223 on March 7, 2017
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed McGrath View Post

While navigating using Carplay/Apple Maps on the PCM display, can you listen to the radio or music stored on an SD card (or on the hard drive)? Or are you limited to "one thing" at a time?
Dial911 likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrofe View Post
While navigating using Carplay/Apple Maps on the PCM display, can you listen to the radio or music stored on an SD card (or on the hard drive)? Or are you limited to "one thing" at a time?
You can use CarPlay selectively for audio so you can listen to any media source while still using maps or messages through CarPlay. The only oddity is that if you have music playing through a PCM source, say the SD card, and an iMessage comes in, the notification will pop up but the screen doesn't revert back to the SD screen after. Same thing happens after a phone call (even without CarPlay). My BMW always reverted to the last screen, the PCM does not.
Dial911 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosmoss View Post
You can use CarPlay selectively for audio so you can listen to any media source while still using maps or messages through CarPlay. The only oddity is that if you have music playing through a PCM source, say the SD card, and an iMessage comes in, the notification will pop up but the screen doesn't revert back to the SD screen after. Same thing happens after a phone call (even without CarPlay). My BMW always reverted to the last screen, the PCM does not.
does anyone know what will happen if you go with option 3, connect only...
1...will the map image still display on the small cluster dial as well as on the pcm screen?
2....on the pcm screen are you still able to use the touch screen capability and does the
map display properly without any other issues?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

You guys must have some kind of data plan on your iPhones to use it for Nav... I'd love to do it, but man I'd need an unlimited plan for data cause my usage would be wayyyyy over.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyeS :) View Post
does anyone know what will happen if you go with option 3, connect only...
1...will the map image still display on the small cluster dial as well as on the pcm screen?
2....on the pcm screen are you still able to use the touch screen capability and does the
map display properly without any other issues?
1) No. at least not yet. Apple says that iOS 10 will allow CarPlay to display in instrument cluster screens but so far not on the Macan (with October update).

Not sure I understand this question re touch screen. All touch screen functions work with CarPlay and you can switch between native functions and CarPlay without interrupting CarPlay operating in the background (like nav voice directions). No map display issues with CarPlay.