17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke5021 View Post
You guys must have some kind of data plan on your iPhones to use it for Nav... I'd love to do it, but man I'd need an unlimited plan for data cause my usage would be wayyyyy over.
In my experience, Google Maps uses very little data. I use it 3-4 times a week on round trips of 50 miles or so (primarily for traffic alerts). My monthly data usage is typically under 1GB.
L_K likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)

To be clear, with Connect (and CarPlay) the only map you get on your screen in Apple Maps, which sucks but is better than Porsche Nav. Maybe in the future they will allow Waze, which would be great.

With Connect Plus, you get a modem in the car, which gives you: (1) real-time traffic, and (2) online search. Online search is cool and almost worth it, but real-time traffic on this system still doesn't improve the nav much. It routes me the most ridiculously bad ways whenever I use it - even with real-time traffic.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosmoss View Post
1) No. at least not yet. Apple says that iOS 10 will allow CarPlay to display in instrument cluster screens but so far not on the Macan (with October update).

Not sure I understand this question re touch screen. All touch screen functions work with CarPlay and you can switch between native functions and CarPlay without interrupting CarPlay operating in the background (like nav voice directions). No map display issues with CarPlay.
let me try to clarify, this is kind of tricky to explain...for me anyhow!! when using my iPhone apple map on a test, last trip (whether it will be good enough for my new Macan) I noticed that my beacon of our location would wonder off of the phone screen as we traveled and I had to physically drag the location beacon back into the screen or it was not visible. Just wondering if this is the same case with the location beacon on the PCM screen too when using connect only. Or does it track like a regular nav beacon, where the screen map moves along with the moving beacon?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Understood. The little arrow in a circle that is you stays visible unless you manually move map to another point where the beacon is now longer visible. There's an icon to bring it back. Also for 3D view, facing north. If there's any particular screen you'd like see, I can snap a pic.

These will only show up on the pain screen however, currently playing music details which is playing using CarPlay as the source will show up in the MFD. the map will not.

Also note, the diamond button won't advance to next or previous track but the hard buttons above the volume knob will.

I've only used my built in nav twice since I got the car. We don't have online search or traffic (however poor) available with Connect+ so possibly nav was a total waste for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosmoss View Post
Understood. The little arrow in a circle that is you stays visible unless you manually move map to another point where the beacon is now longer visible. There's an icon to bring it back. Also for 3D view, facing north. If there's any particular screen you'd like see, I can snap a pic.

These will only show up on the pain screen however, currently playing music details which is playing using CarPlay as the source will show up in the MFD. the map will not.

Also note, the diamond button won't advance to next or previous track but the hard buttons above the volume knob will.

I've only used my built in nav twice since I got the car. We don't have online search or traffic (however poor) available with Connect+ so possibly nav was a total waste for me.
Thanks for your reply and offer of photos! I think I am good now...tho this car is becoming harder to design than my house was!! the forum is a huge asset...all the wonderful people, such as your self...who offer their patience and kind advice...are greatly appreciated
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you don't get NAV you won't have to pay the traffic monthly fee and you won't have to pay for updates.

I would get NAV if you are new to a city, but if you know the area, use your phone the rare times you need NAV.
Dial911 likes this.