any MY17 Macan 4-cylinder 2.0 litre reviews? - Page 3 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I test drove the base macan today after checking up on my GTS order. I have very mixed feelings of the base model. Model I tested only had a few options, mano roof, nav, connect plus, keyless, lane change assist. Here is my biased review

The Good
- Nav and pcm was great, I even paired up my phone and used apple carplay, all worked well.
- PDK. worked well even with the weaker engine
- stock 8 way comfort seats. I thought they were great for base seats. Comfy
-Base stereo, It was pretty good for base compared to other makes
-steering wheel is best in class and a real premium feel to it
- Cabin noise very quiet and exhaust very quiet ( maybe a con depends on preference)
- pano roof looks and feels great
- handling was adequate and better than expected with no pasm air suspension

The Bad
- Plastic non painted bits on the exterior made the car look cheap
- interior with no leather upgrades felt cheap.
- Engine felt weak from standstill. It feels like a small engine and turbo lag is noticeable. I was bogged down a few times waiting for the boost to kick in and it had that big turbo hesitation when pressed hard.

Bottom Line I struggle with the notion with a base Macan. I would highly advise to go for at least the S. For the price of a base Macan you lose so much performance. You think performance when it comes to Porsche, and the Base Macan is just so ordinary. I would lean much more towards a Mercedes GLC300 than the base Macan as the GLC has much better package

Comparo

GLC 300 4matic 241 HP , 273 TRQ , 0-60 6.4 seconds
Extra options- Night package, pano roof, black ash wood, 19 inch amg wheel, premium pkg 2, burmeister sound, heat and vented seats, parking package
price with options $52,495

Porsche Macan base 252 hp , 273 TRQ , 0-60 6.3 seconds
extra options - 19in turbo wheel, entry drive, surround view, pano roof, LKA and LCA, PCM , Bose
price with options $59,450

With that said the GLC is much better equipped and comes far cheaper. To equip the Macan with similar options to the GLC it would cost another $5000+.Performance is very close as well. No doubt the Porsche is a much more niche and special vehicle but the base Macan really loses its luster in base form.

I would go for a minimum Macan S
Macan S 340 HP 339 TRQ 0-60 5.0 seconds
- standard leather pkg, entry drive, surround view, pano roof, rear facia painted, sports chrono, LCA , PCM, Bose
price with options $66,600

For $6000 over the base Macan you get a huge jump in power and performance, better interior with leather and more base options, to me it seems like a no brainer. You also get that full Porsche experience with Speed brakes and Sports plus button.

The only reason to get the 2 liter in my mind if you want something a lil more unique or you are buying it for the wifey. Porsche is not a luxury comfort brand but a performance based brand and taking the performance out of the Macan seems a bit silly with me. The Macan is not a very practical SUV with such limited cargo and rear passenger room to begin with. So far at the three Porsche dealerships I have been eyeing they all ordered quite a few base Macans and they are almost all gone within the month so clearly there is a large market for them.

I know my post is biased and will be many that disagree with my analysis but I am a car nut that favors speed.
Buckfever, L_K, Gallatin and 1 others like this.

Macan GTS Volcano grey, 21 Turbo classics

Formerly 2011 Acura MDX/
04 E55 Mercedes / 10 Audi Q5 / 68 Camaro SS / Ducati Monster S4RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nendo View Post

The only reason to get the 2 liter in my mind if you want something a lil more unique or you are buying it for the wifey..
Excellent review, but not sure it needed this comment......
Rosmoss, Skinsfan, WHT TGR and 2 others like this.

If you see an ad just below my posted text above, it's inserted by the forum owner, not me.
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Porsche may not be a luxury brand in the same way that Rolls Royce is (coddling occupants over driving dynamics though for its size, Rollers aren't bad) but it's most definitely an aspirational brand at the lower price points.

Brands have been reaching further down the price ladder in the quest for volume and profit. Even if it means not necessarily sticking to their original mission statement 100%. Very few former traditionally high end brands are not doing this. Conversely many brands are trying to reach up market where the profits are. The Hyundai Genesis sedan in no longer, replaced by Genesis as a brand. We'll see how that plays out.

Hermes comes to mind as a brand that has maintained their traditional values. They still have wait lists and have not moved down market to capture sales as far as I can see. Even brands like Burmester and B&O have done it. The $1000 systems in MB or Audi carrying one of those names in the speaker grills are not the same quality as the $6000+ systems in higher end models.

We live in a consumer society where status matters to many people for better or worse. Personally I find this kind of thing particularly interesting to observe. It also presents the opportunity to participate via the stock market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Its not just that the 2.0 litre is underpowered, its how it delivers the power that is the problem.

You have to work it veryhardto make any progress.

If you want a status symbol or something to show how successful you are nd only cruise then its OK.

On the other hand if you want a real Porsche do get one with a decent engine and not one out of a cheap Audi.
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)

It would surprise me if in the USA, the 2.0T doesn't become the best selling model in the Porsche line up.
Skinsfan, WHT TGR and Arnold_T like this.
post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

With such a negligible price difference between the S and the base model in the US, going for the S is a no brainer.
L_K likes this.
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacanUK View Post
Driven one.

Gutless, a Beamer 118D outdragged it.

50-70 mph acceleration about the same as a London bus.

The only Macans I would have are the Turbo, GTS and SD.

I have an SD, it will eat the 2.0l and not even notice.

Not all of us bought a Macan to drag race to the next light! These are fun no matter which model you purchase. Congrats on your Macan 2.0. Enjoy your ride my friend!
BossHoss and Christo1 like this.

Received December allocation and vehicle locked - now just waiting for the "Redneck Sled" to get built in late January - 2017 Macan Turbo PP (S) in Carmine Red with TEP -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. My first baby was born on 7/4/14 (Happy 4th of July) and delivered to me on 8/18/14...2015 Macan S in Agate Grey with Epel Ultimate. Lowered with H&R Sport Springs and tuned with a Race Chip.
post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles_UK View Post
Its not just that the 2.0 litre is underpowered, its how it delivers the power that is the problem.

You have to work it veryhardto make any progress.

If you want a status symbol or something to show how successful you are nd only cruise then its OK.

On the other hand if you want a real Porsche do get one with a decent engine and not one out of a cheap Audi.

Even the Cayenne has a couple of under powered models so why should the Macan be any different?
geshi likes this.

Received December allocation and vehicle locked - now just waiting for the "Redneck Sled" to get built in late January - 2017 Macan Turbo PP (S) in Carmine Red with TEP -
. My first baby was born on 7/4/14 (Happy 4th of July) and delivered to me on 8/18/14...2015 Macan S in Agate Grey with Epel Ultimate. Lowered with H&R Sport Springs and tuned with a Race Chip.
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Garage

Is it me or people are expecting too much out of this engine/car? You are getting a base Macan for a reason, nice looking DD that can save you some money (~$10K).

I am not talking trash because I have an S model. If I had an option to choose a base model last year when I was in a market, I would've seriously considered it since I was looking for a DD that can run 24/7 in Northeast. I drink PDK-Kool-Aid in daily basis so I hate just about any transmissions out there that lacks the connectivity feel so Q5 was a disappointment. But, you won't have that problem in Macan.

If I was in this situation, I'd break it down to the followings:
1) If you are looking for a single car that has to be enjoyable (i.e. ability to go fast in sporty fashion) in daily basis, spend extra money and get S. I personally don't think it breaks your wallet too hard since you are already shopping for Porsche anyways.
2) Others, get a base model.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice but it's all about making the best decision that you won't regret for next 4 years (or the term you signed up for).
NETX and WHT TGR like this.

May 29, 2015 (Delivered):
MY15 Macan S - White w/ Garnet Red Interior | Premium | SC | PASM | 20" SD Wheels | Window Trim in High-Gloss Black | 14-Way | 3-Zone CC | LCA | Comfort Lighting | Steering Wheel Heating | Smoking Package | Model Designation Deleted
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:36 PM
FJG

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Default Went with the S...

Perhaps some understanding on why someone might want a base model? (Spoiler: I ended up ordering a Macan S with all performance options -- essentially a GTS without the body trim kit.)

I have never been a luxury or "sports car" driver -- historically had things like Nissan NX2000, Nissan Maxima, Jetta TDI, Nissan mini-van (gasp!), Honda Pilot, the new Mazda 6, etc. I've always liked the SUV concept, but once kids were grown & out, I didn't need the "big" 8-seat Honda pilot, so a friend recommended trying the new Mazda 6 GT. It was a REALLY fun car to drive, and got ~35mpg combined! However, I do outdoor activities, and wanted a bit more ground clearance and SUV-like character. Fast-forward: wife got an entry-level M-B (GLA250 Sport), and I was SO impressed with the stability, performance, robust-build character, and fit/finish. So, I started looking at the M-B GLC SUV, GLE Coupe, and (soon-to-be-released) GLC Coupe. They seemed like a good compromise with quality, performance, ground clearance, and the "don't need a full boxy SUV" character. I researched others (Lexus, Acura, Infinity, BMW, etc.), but was not happy with the lack of customization options, and by divine intervention (kidding), came across the Macan!

After the config website giving me nothing but fits & frustration, I stopped by the dealer. My going in thought was: base model will be great and better on MPG. I drove it, and it was very nice compared to anything I've owned. However, the sales rep (by divine intervention again?) said I should drive the S, just to compare. Oh my, what a difference on fun-to-drive-factor! On the base, I could hammer the throttle and hold it to the floor; on the S, I hammered it then immediately backed off with a "what the heck just happened" reaction to the unleashed power. I did some homework, compared price & equip differences, and decided the S would leave no regrets. I also looked into the GTS, but decided I'm okay with the body style of the S, the slightly less HP, and can live with silver brake calipers. I ended up loading out the S with the same GTS performance options and it comes in ~3k less than the GTS. (I also did some negotiating at the dealer, using USAA True-Car pricing, and got ~$3.1k off MSRP, for a custom factory order!)

The MPG is perhaps a concern, as I plan to use daily; however, I think this vehicle will be a dream to drive, and when I watch videos of folks reviewing and having fun in the car, they all smile, and the exhaust notes make me giggle like a kid. :-)
WHT TGR, robip, ABusLux and 1 others like this.

2017 Macan S: Rhodium Silver | Black & Garnet Red Leather | 20" Sport Design Wheels | Sport+ Chrono | Porsche Torque Vector+ | Porsche Active Suspension Mgmt Air | Sport Exhaust in Silver | Premium Pkg+ | LED Headlights | 18-way Seats | Adaptive Cruise Ctrl & Porsche Active Safe | Park Assist Surround-View | Lane-Keep Assist & Lane-Chg Assist | Porsche Connect (CarPlay) | Black Roof-Rails | Black Logos | Black Door Handles | Black Thule AeroBlade Edge Roof Crossbars