User Tag List

226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

"50-70 mph acceleration about the same as a London bus."

That 2-litre Macan you drove must have been fitted with my bicycle engine...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

Stunned by some of the negativity on here! There have been a few reviews in Singaporean/Malaysian/Thai/Filipino publications about the 2.0L Macan [albeit when it had 237hp rather than the 252hp output we see today] and they were all very, very favorable. Don't expect the pace of the S or the madness of the Turbo and you'll have a lively little crossover with enough power for day-to-day life.

We have a 2.0L 2015 Q5 in my family, so I feel like I can comment on the ability of the engine. We've only got 211hp but honestly, the platform is solid and comfortable and I find the engine incredibly zesty - and I'm coming out of a Cayenne S! Excellent pulling power, plenty of go when I need to overtake or zip by, very decent economy. I love that Audi and having driven the Macan, I believe that Porsche's tweaks to the platform and the added engine power will only make this a more compelling buy for those of us who don't need to blaze by everything. In today's speed-restricted and traffic-choked world, you've really got to ask yourself how much of the engine in front of you will you actually use?

My two cents - hope this helps and happy to answer questions!

khabah

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]
post #13 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)

@khabah

Good post. You're right, not everyone wants or needs or can even use a car with more power.

I was driving down the coast highway yesterday and the Lambo next to me, the SL 65 AMG in front of me and the Toyota Prius behind me plus countless other cars, all drove the same 15 mile stretch at 40mph. Regardless of engine size or loudness of exhaust, we all drove at about the same speed and most times in Southern California, that is the case.

Enjoy your 2.0. It looks great and I'm sure it drives great too.

I can't wait to get a Turbo S so I too can drive 40mph next to all the Honda Civics on my daily commute

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Jshore, RJMcInnis, Razor07 and 5 others like this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.

post #14 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
The Macan 2.0 is faster than all other similar SUVs with 2.0T, such as Q5, X3, NX, Evoque, GLC, etc.
Based on the above statement, London buses are very fast then.....
RJMcInnis, jzwu and mizike like this.
post #15 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT TGR View Post
@khabah

Good post. You're right, not everyone wants or needs or can even use a car with more power.

I was driving down the coast highway yesterday and the Lambo next to me, the SL 65 AMG in front of me and the Toyota Prius behind me plus countless other cars, all drove the same 15 mile stretch at 40mph. Regardless of engine size or loudness of exhaust, we all drove at about the same speed and most times in Southern California, that is the case.

Enjoy your 2.0. It looks great and I'm sure it drives great too.

I can't wait to get a Turbo S so I too can drive 40mph next to all the Honda Civics on my daily commute

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thank you for the kind words, WHT TGR!

The engine in our Q5 is a real peach - I know that it's ubiquitous across the VW lineup in everything from the VW Golf and Audi TT to the Seat Lon and Porsche Macan, but it's such a sweet lump [if you're so inclined, it's the VW EA888 engine with a 1984cc displacement in an inline-four configuration]. I owned a gorgeous custom 2012 Cayenne S with a 400hp 4.8L V8 for two years which was glorious, maniacal and wonderful but ever since selling it off and having to use the Q5 for a bit, I've never wanted for more power. It zooms off the line, I find myself over the speed limit much sooner than I expect and it gives off a nice little snort as it gets going. Looks like I got more pragmatic with age...

Seriously though, a 41hp bump should do this thing wonders for duty in the base Macan. I'm currently eyeballing the next-gen base Panamera as a new car but if it's too outrageously priced, I'm willing to pocket the change and spring on a four-banger Macan as it'll be plenty satisfactory for the daily commute/rat race, should be fun to toss around on a highway and has that tiny bit more space to play with.

We shall see!

khabah
WHT TGR and L_K like this.

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]
post #16 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My wife has a Q5 with the 2 liter and it is very nice. Given the Macan weighs less and the modifications I expect it will be very enjoyable to drive. I love my S but probably would enjoy the 4...almost as much.
WHT TGR and geshi like this.
post #17 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I took delivery of the 252hp macan 10 days ago. Done 1200km since then and love it! Certainly more than enough power for me.
WHT TGR and L_K like this.
post #18 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 440 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabah View Post
Stunned by some of the negativity on here! There have been a few reviews in Singaporean/Malaysian/Thai/Filipino publications about the 2.0L Macan [albeit when it had 237hp rather than the 252hp output we see today] and they were all very, very favorable. Don't expect the pace of the S or the madness of the Turbo and you'll have a lively little crossover with enough power for day-to-day life.

We have a 2.0L 2015 Q5 in my family, so I feel like I can comment on the ability of the engine. We've only got 211hp but honestly, the platform is solid and comfortable and I find the engine incredibly zesty - and I'm coming out of a Cayenne S! Excellent pulling power, plenty of go when I need to overtake or zip by, very decent economy. I love that Audi and having driven the Macan, I believe that Porsche's tweaks to the platform and the added engine power will only make this a more compelling buy for those of us who don't need to blaze by everything. In today's speed-restricted and traffic-choked world, you've really got to ask yourself how much of the engine in front of you will you actually use?

My two cents - hope this helps and happy to answer questions!

khabah
1) The 2.0 is getting creamed with it's options pricing .

2) Your 2.0 Audi MSRP is in the low 50's with lease deals galore. The base Macan not only is 10 grand more (20 percent) but without the lease attractive deals which brings shoppers at this price point .

3) Plus the Porsche is a lot more money to service and insure .

You do express that the 2.0 Audi is sufficient for the person who is just tooling around town . So is the price . Given these two cars I myself would buy the Audi .
L_K likes this.
post #19 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:27 AM
gtr

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
3) Plus the Porsche is a lot more money to service and insure .

You do express that the 2.0 Audi is sufficient for the person who is just tooling around town . So is the price . Given these two cars I myself would buy the Audi .

Not true about insurance. My Wife 14 Q5 2.0 cost $1182 where as my 17 GTS $792/yr . And the M2 cost more to insure than my GT4 go figure.

Macan has the lowest insurance when speaking Porsche. 911 are sky high and seems to go down from there.
BossHoss and L_K like this.
post #20 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Driving.ca just reviewed the 2017 Macan 2.0L:

First Drive: 2017 Porsche Macan | Driving
L_K likes this.