User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Sin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Oil seepage normal and not cover under warranty?

I just had my car checked out at the dealership and was told that oil seepage is normal. Porsche will not work on it unless it's actually leaking oil.

Has anyone experience this on their Macan Turbo? Mine is a 2015 with 30k miles on it.

The seepage is located in the front lower corner of valve cover?

Hope some of you owners would chime in. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)

I would not think that ANY leaking/seepage would be acceptable in a modern engine, especially with "Porsche" on the valve covers.
RJMcInnis and Hokie like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

No way is that normal. It's not a Harley.
Hokie likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
You're either very lucky or live in a very moderate climate. Every car I've owned leaked or burned at least a small amount of oil. Dealer response is typically that it's "not a problem" unless you're having to add more then a quart of top-off oil between oil changes (either because of leaking oil or burning oil). Over time I've come to generally agree. You don't want them ripping stuff apart unless you need them to.

So far my Macan has been better than the BMWs.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
You're either very lucky or live in a very moderate climate. Every car I've owned leaked or burned at least a small amount of oil. Dealer response is typically that it's "not a problem" unless you're having to add more then a quart of top-off oil between oil changes (either because of leaking oil or burning oil). Over time I've come to generally agree. You don't want them ripping stuff apart unless you need them to.

So far my Macan has been better than the BMWs.
I've had oil burning on many cars including BMWs. But I've never had oil trace seepage and have someone tell me that's a normal occurrence. And that it is absolutely acceptable by Porsche standards.

The reason for not performing the repairs on my car was "not excessive amount of oil leakage". They will only work on it if it's dripping, and not seeping.

It also makes sense to not take apart the engine unless I'm loosing a lot of oil which can cause major damage.

I just want to see if any other Macan or Porsche owners have had such experiences with these cars in such a fashion?

The seepage are not visible unless you work on the car yourself and look in detail.

The average person would not have spot this. Maybe not even the tech's on a normal inspection check as I had to tell them where I found it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)

Hmmmmm....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)

I'm not sure what you want them to do when you think it makes sense to not taking apart the engine to fix the problem here? What you could do is ask them to clean the engine of the oil seepage and see when/how much the seepage occurs again. You can then determine the next course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
I've had oil burning on many cars including BMWs. But I've never had oil trace seepage and have someone tell me that's a normal occurrence. And that it is absolutely acceptable by Porsche standards.

The reason for not performing the repairs on my car was "not excessive amount of oil leakage". They will only work on it if it's dripping, and not seeping.

It also makes sense to not take apart the engine unless I'm loosing a lot of oil which can cause major damage.

I just want to see if any other Macan or Porsche owners have had such experiences with these cars in such a fashion?

The seepage are not visible unless you work on the car yourself and look in detail.

The average person would not have spot this. Maybe not even the tech's on a normal inspection check as I had to tell them where I found it.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Sin

I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this on their Macan and if this was a normal thing. As I was advised this is normal in a Porsche.

So far the first two post say it's not normal.

One other saying it's fine.

But so far no one has had the same problem.

Would be nice to gather some data from other owners.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this on their Macan and if this was a normal thing. As I was advised this is normal in a Porsche.

So far the first two post say it's not normal.

One other saying it's fine.

But so far no one has had the same problem.

Would be nice to gather some data from other owners.
Hard to say without photos. Please post them if you can get a good one of the area.

No one wants to have a dirty engine, but seal weepage is a fact of internal combustion engines. It could be there was too much oil in the seal groove on assembly, maybe a bit of porosity in the area, or a tech dribbled some oil when he filled the engine.

If its the size of your hand or less.......I wouldn't worry about it. If its half the block covered in oil..... then you have a bad seal or casting and needs to be addressed.
RJMcInnis, Shark and sfNative like this.

Ordered Feb-14', Estimated 8/22/14, Delivered 9/3/14: Macan S White, Black Interior w/partial leather and 14-way, RS Spyder wheels w/ crest, Premium Plus, AS/PASM/PTV, ACC/PAS, Black Roof Rails w/Gloss Black Window Trim, Comfort light, Trailer Hitch
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

It's fine for an engine to consume a small amount of oil. My last car, a BMW, usually went through a quarter between changes (7500 mi). Seepage is different, and you don't necessarily need to take apart the engine to fix it. If it is something like a valve cover or oil pan, the gasket should be replaced.
RJMcInnis, Hokie and sfNative like this.