Oil seepage normal and not cover under warranty? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Sin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Oil seepage normal and not cover under warranty?

I just had my car checked out at the dealership and was told that oil seepage is normal. Porsche will not work on it unless it's actually leaking oil.

Has anyone experience this on their Macan Turbo? Mine is a 2015 with 30k miles on it.

The seepage is located in the front lower corner of valve cover?

Hope some of you owners would chime in. Thanks.
Sin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Default

I would not think that ANY leaking/seepage would be acceptable in a modern engine, especially with "Porsche" on the valve covers.
RJMcInnis and Hokie like this.
Thunder is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Default

No way is that normal. It's not a Harley.
Hokie likes this.
lippy is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jimithing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
No way is that normal. It's not a Harley.
You're either very lucky or live in a very moderate climate. Every car I've owned leaked or burned at least a small amount of oil. Dealer response is typically that it's "not a problem" unless you're having to add more then a quart of top-off oil between oil changes (either because of leaking oil or burning oil). Over time I've come to generally agree. You don't want them ripping stuff apart unless you need them to.

So far my Macan has been better than the BMWs.
jimithing is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Sin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
No way is that normal. It's not a Harley.
You're either very lucky or live in a very moderate climate. Every car I've owned leaked or burned at least a small amount of oil. Dealer response is typically that it's "not a problem" unless you're having to add more then a quart of top-off oil between oil changes (either because of leaking oil or burning oil). Over time I've come to generally agree. You don't want them ripping stuff apart unless you need them to.

So far my Macan has been better than the BMWs.
I've had oil burning on many cars including BMWs. But I've never had oil trace seepage and have someone tell me that's a normal occurrence. And that it is absolutely acceptable by Porsche standards.

The reason for not performing the repairs on my car was "not excessive amount of oil leakage". They will only work on it if it's dripping, and not seeping.

It also makes sense to not take apart the engine unless I'm loosing a lot of oil which can cause major damage.

I just want to see if any other Macan or Porsche owners have had such experiences with these cars in such a fashion?

The seepage are not visible unless you work on the car yourself and look in detail.

The average person would not have spot this. Maybe not even the tech's on a normal inspection check as I had to tell them where I found it.
Sin is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
yrralis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,512
Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Default

Hmmmmm....
yrralis1 is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
windblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: WV
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Default

I'm not sure what you want them to do when you think it makes sense to not taking apart the engine to fix the problem here? What you could do is ask them to clean the engine of the oil seepage and see when/how much the seepage occurs again. You can then determine the next course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
I've had oil burning on many cars including BMWs. But I've never had oil trace seepage and have someone tell me that's a normal occurrence. And that it is absolutely acceptable by Porsche standards.

The reason for not performing the repairs on my car was "not excessive amount of oil leakage". They will only work on it if it's dripping, and not seeping.

It also makes sense to not take apart the engine unless I'm loosing a lot of oil which can cause major damage.


I just want to see if any other Macan or Porsche owners have had such experiences with these cars in such a fashion?

The seepage are not visible unless you work on the car yourself and look in detail.

The average person would not have spot this. Maybe not even the tech's on a normal inspection check as I had to tell them where I found it.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
windblow is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Sin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default

I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this on their Macan and if this was a normal thing. As I was advised this is normal in a Porsche.

So far the first two post say it's not normal.

One other saying it's fine.

But so far no one has had the same problem.

Would be nice to gather some data from other owners.
Sin is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this on their Macan and if this was a normal thing. As I was advised this is normal in a Porsche.

So far the first two post say it's not normal.

One other saying it's fine.

But so far no one has had the same problem.

Would be nice to gather some data from other owners.
Hard to say without photos. Please post them if you can get a good one of the area.

No one wants to have a dirty engine, but seal weepage is a fact of internal combustion engines. It could be there was too much oil in the seal groove on assembly, maybe a bit of porosity in the area, or a tech dribbled some oil when he filled the engine.

If its the size of your hand or less.......I wouldn't worry about it. If its half the block covered in oil..... then you have a bad seal or casting and needs to be addressed.
RJMcInnis, Shark and sfNative like this.

Ordered Feb-14', Estimated 8/22/14, Delivered 9/3/14: Macan S White, Black Interior w/partial leather and 14-way, RS Spyder wheels w/ crest, Premium Plus, AS/PASM/PTV, ACC/PAS, Black Roof Rails w/Gloss Black Window Trim, Comfort light, Trailer Hitch
TripleZ is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Default

It's fine for an engine to consume a small amount of oil. My last car, a BMW, usually went through a quarter between changes (7500 mi). Seepage is different, and you don't necessarily need to take apart the engine to fix it. If it is something like a valve cover or oil pan, the gasket should be replaced.
RJMcInnis, Hokie and sfNative like this.
lippy is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome