User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Sin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Here are some pictures. The first picture shows the seepage starting from the top of the driver side valve cover. Where the A/C belt starts on the top and the area of where the electrical harness wire is located at the valve cover. The trail of seepage drips down to the A/C compressor on the other side of the A/C belt. It has yet to hit the oil pan or the under tray cover.

It's a small amount of seepage.

You might need to zoom in to see my attached pics.

You will not be able to see this from the top, underneath the hood.

2nd picture and 3rd picture is a closer picture of the area where the seepage ends up without additional dripping going further down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7190_1478734201946.jpg (119.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7192_1478734619741.jpg (108.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7182_1478734710360.jpg (130.5 KB, 108 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Yeah, not sure I'd want to take anything apart for that. I'd keep an eye on it and enjoy the car in the meantime.
RJMcInnis and sfNative like this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Another vote for keep an eye on it and enjoy your car.
I'll bet that it doesn't get worse and likely stops.
Stuff like that tends to resolve itself as the oil hits the air it thickens/hardens and fills the tiny imperfection in the mating surfaces.
RJMcInnis and sfNative like this.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
Here are some pictures. .....It's a small amount of seepage.
Hard to tell for sure from the pictures. But it seems odd to me that an engine oil drip from above would follow the A/C compressor flange so thin and neatly. To my eye, this actually looks like typical A/C refrigerant seepage at the flange. The circulating refrigerant is mixed with a small amount of oil to lubricate the compressor internals. Regardless of the source, it doesn't look like it would be worthwhile tearing into things yet. Just my two cents.
RJMcInnis likes this.

2015 Turbo / White / 20” Spyders / Black Window Trim / CF Sideblades / Espresso with Walnut / Espresso Belts / 14-way Seats / LCA / ACC-PAS / Entry & Drive / Surround View / Insulating Glass / PASM / PTV+ / AS / PCCB
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
Here are some pictures. .....It's a small amount of seepage.
Hard to tell for sure from the pictures. But it seems odd to me that an engine oil drip from above would follow the A/C compressor flange so thin and neatly. To my eye, this actually looks like typical A/C refrigerant seepage at the flange. The circulating refrigerant is mixed with a small amount of oil to lubricate the compressor internals. Regardless of the source, it doesn't look like it would be worthwhile tearing into things yet. Just my two cents.
If you look further up you can see the oil seepage starts from the valve cover. Here is a zoomed pic of the area of where it starts.

My plan is to leave it too for now. And before the warranty ends and also after the next oil change to look at it again.

So looks like I'm the only one with this problem so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7195_1478750171881.jpg (40.5 KB, 93 views)
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

That would drive me nuts especially for a new car.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I would clean it so you can quantify the amount over time and whether the leak is becoming worse. When it is clean take pictures and email them to your own gmail or other commercial account. Continue to take pictures and email them to yourself at regular intervals giving you a sort of time lapse photo documentation of the leak. These will be invaluable later if things go to ****. It isn't that you want to go to court, I'm no attorney but I suspect based on an MM action I pursued you will wish you had never started no matter what the outcome. What you're looking for is to protect yourself if the leak becomes catastrophic causing an expensive failure and also in the nearer term to have something undeniable to show the service department about the leak and what it is doing. Is it getting no worse, getting worse, etc. I've come to notice over time. If nothing else you will be able to rest easier knowing exactly what you're looking at. I agree with others though, I would have to think hard before I decided I wanted my engine torn into depending on the leak. A valve cover is one thing but major surgery would have me thinking I might prefer to hold off until the leak became a problem.
Shark, MacWhte, sfNative and 1 others like this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

My Macan S does burn oil. Halfway between oil changes every 5000 miles or so it asks for a quart.

My Macan S Build Code:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Looks like a valve cover leak to me. I wonder why the dealer won't take corrective action. I bet if oil was dripping on the exhaust manifold they would take care of that right away!!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I would clean it so you can quantify the amount over time and whether the leak is becoming worse. When it is clean take pictures and email them to your own gmail or other commercial account. Continue to take pictures and email them to yourself at regular intervals giving you a sort of time lapse photo documentation of the leak. These will be invaluable later if things go to ****. It isn't that you want to go to court, I'm no attorney but I suspect based on an MM action I pursued you will wish you had never started no matter what the outcome. What you're looking for is to protect yourself if the leak becomes catastrophic causing an expensive failure and also in the nearer term to have something undeniable to show the service department about the leak and what it is doing. Is it getting no worse, getting worse, etc. I've come to notice over time. If nothing else you will be able to rest easier knowing exactly what you're looking at. I agree with others though, I would have to think hard before I decided I wanted my engine torn into depending on the leak. A valve cover is one thing but major surgery would have me thinking I might prefer to hold off until the leak became a problem.
I will be taking pictures periodically to see if there are any additional significant leakage. It's also noted in porsche system with pictures of their own. So it's kept track with them and with my own set of pictures.