User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage

I filled up the 10gb hard drive in less than 20 minutes from a USB thumb drive that was USB 3.0.
I can try out a SD card with music tomorrow and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 04:08 AM

Garage

@jammer I copied 10gb of music to a 32gb SD card and put it into my Macan just now. It started playing within a second when I switched to The SD media and then the PCM started to catalog all the music, the album artwork and song lists showed up within a minute.
Does anybody know how large of a SD card I can use? I'll go buy a 256gb one if it will work.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfred View Post
@jammer I copied 10gb of music to a 32gb SD card and put it into my Macan just now. It started playing within a second when I switched to The SD media and then the PCM started to catalog all the music, the album artwork and song lists showed up within a minute.
Does anybody know how large of a SD card I can use? I'll go buy a 256gb one if it will work.
Quick response @kingfred ! I know the PCM works with 256GB USB sticks so I'd be surprised if it wasn't good for at least that amount on the SD cards as well. Did you get a PCM manual with your 2017 Macan? My 2015 manual for the older PCM system lists a 10,000 file maximum for the USB sticks, so if that applies for the new PCM system as well it will probably be the limiting factor rather than the capacity of the SD card.

Also, did you notice if all the tracks on the SD card were available immediately, or did they slowly become available as the catalog was built up? From what you said ("the album artwork and song lists showed up within a minute") I'm guessing that it behaved the same as on my system. The first artists listed alphabetically (in my case, 10cc) were available immediately, while ZZ Top only became accessible when the indexing was completed.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:22 AM

Garage

@jammer every song was available to listen to right away, I randomly selected some of them in different folders and didn't have a problem, but it seemed that the artwork and song names were downloaded over the SIM card and were showing up before the first song finished. I think that's what Gracenote does.
Jammer likes this.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfred View Post
@jammer every song was available to listen to right away, I randomly selected some of them in different folders and didn't have a problem, but it seemed that the artwork and song names were downloaded over the SIM card and were showing up before the first song finished. I think that's what Gracenote does.
Thanks @kingfred - that's encouraging news.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

Refreshing this post...

I have PCM 4.0 with Nav and Connect Plus. I've searched but I'm still confused. Apparently it comes with 3 years worth of Map updates. Can I do this through my data connection, and if so, how? Or do I have to go to the dealer?
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Refreshing this post...

I have PCM 4.0 with Nav and Connect Plus. I've searched but I'm still confused. Apparently it comes with 3 years worth of Map updates. Can I do this through my data connection, and if so, how? Or do I have to go to the dealer?
I don't think anyone knows....I'm not even sure Porsche knows.

If you see an ad just below my posted text above, it's inserted by the forum owner, not me.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Quote:
Refreshing this post...

The recent WG47 PCM software update added this feature:
Connect Plus (I-no. EL5)
Online update of navigation maps (EU and USA only): With the model improvements, all vehicles with PCM and the Connect Plus module can now use the new Online Map Update service in addition to the Map Update service.

I don't have connect plus but I would check the menus. Also WP47 updates the maps to 16/17 version. I don't think there will be a new version available until 2017 anyway.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
The recent WG47 PCM software update added this feature:
Connect Plus (I-no. EL5)
Online update of navigation maps (EU and USA only): With the model improvements, all vehicles with PCM and the Connect Plus module can now use the new Online Map Update service in addition to the Map Update service.

I don't have connect plus but I would check the menus. Also WP47 updates the maps to 16/17 version. I don't think there will be a new version available until 2017 anyway.
Cool. And does anyone know how the Online Map Update service works?
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Quote:
Cool. And does anyone know how the Online Map Update service works?
Assuming your PCM software is up to date and you have a data connection the online map updates should be triggered automatically when available. I'd check with your dealer to be sure.