Navigation/Map software updates? - Page 2 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
So, this was @ N/C? Not a map update, rather a PCM software update?

I will ask when I bring mine in end of August if I can have v4.76.
Yes, it was a no-charge update to the PCM, not a map update. I'd complained about the erratic behavior of the audio system and the update was an attempt to resolve that.

No joy by the way. The radio / CD player / USB / Jukebox combo still behaves like a beta version of something from the 90s.
iconoclast likes this.
Jammer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
windblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: WV
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
you get three updates.....may or may not be really completely free?
If I remember correctly you get 6 updates with Connect Plus

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
windblow is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sarasota, fl
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblow View Post
If I remember correctly you get 6 updates with Connect Plus
Actually, we are both wrong....according to the Porsche Web Site (for whatever that's worth, given it's other errors), connect plus includes map updates for 3 years....the number of included map updates is not stated.

If you see an ad just below my posted text above, it's inserted by the forum owner, not me.
ghstudio is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
iconoclast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Yes, it was a no-charge update to the PCM, not a map update. I'd complained about the erratic behavior of the audio system and the update was an attempt to resolve that.

No joy by the way. The radio / CD player / USB / Jukebox combo still behaves like a beta version of something from the 90s.
Maybe Porsche does not routinely update PCM @ N/C. Could be just for those who complain about PCM not working properly.
What erratic behavior? Have you posted about the specifics on another thread?

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF
iconoclast is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,395
Mentioned: 981 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I verified with my SA that Porsche does NOT pay for updates to Map. Cost approx. $550.00. I forgot to ask if v4.75 is current.
This sounds right. They need to program it, hook it up to PIWIS. Stuttgart knows everything that touches that car. Welcome to Porsche.

For what its worth, I never updated the maps in my Cayman. Didn't care. What's the point? Everything is free in WAZE. Nav today is so 1995. But for those who insist on have the Nav .... bring a big checkbook. I will never pay for an update when its free elsewhere. Even my old Garmin has free maps for life.
grim is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
.....
What erratic behavior? Have you posted about the specifics on another thread?
Yes, I did post specifics on another thread but I can't find it now. Here's a summary again though. Some of this is erratic behavior and some of it is just 20th century primitive. By the way, most of the time I'm listening to either MP3s on USB sticks or the jukebox, or standard music CDs.

1. When I first switch on the car the audio source usually sets itself to the last one I used (USB stick or CD), but the system frequently takes too long (20 - 30 seconds?) to recognize those sources and switches to FM radio instead. For some reason this seems to happen more often if the car has been switched off for only a very short period of time - for example, switching off the car for a minute while I run into the Post Office to mail a letter. This is irritating if I'm running around all day making short trips between stops.

2. The audio volume when I switch on the car is inconsistent. Sometimes it's where I left it, sometimes it's almost (but not quite) muted. The latter is annoying if I'm listening to MP3s or CDs because the music continues to play and I miss parts of it until I either realize that it hasn't come on or notice the very quiet background noise of the almost-muted music and turn it up again. It's even more annoying if I'm listening to an audio book and miss chunks of the text then have to scan backwards to find the right place.

3. Even when the system does recognize the USB stick and sets the volume correctly it sometimes takes 1 - 4 minutes before it shows a track listing, and until that happens I can't switch tracks or albums. This happens even if the same USB stick has been in place for several weeks.

4. The 10,000 file limit prevents me from putting all my music on a single USB stick in MP3 format so I split it between two USB sticks (128GB and 256GB) and the 40GB hard drive (5,000 file limit). However, when I switch USB sticks it takes a ridiculously long time (up to 45 minutes) for the system to find, list and add all the files to its database so I can fully access them. I've tried several brands of USB memory sticks, high-end name-brand and generic, with capacities from 4GB to 256GB, and they've all had the same issue. Also, with a 40GB hard disk for storage space it seems like the system should be able to recognize, store and maintain more than one USB database rather than building a new one from scratch every time the stick is switched. Because of the long database rebuilding time I switch USB sticks much less frequently than I otherwise would do.

5. Transferring files from a USB stick to the jukebox takes a very long time, and if you interrupt the process by switching off the car it restarts the transfer from the beginning. To avoid this problem I had to transfer the files in small batches over the course of several days - put a few file folders on the USB stick, transfer them to the jukebox on my next trip, then delete those files from the USB stick and repeat the process with a new batch on my next trip.

6. The music search function is primitive as well. After you've entered four characters it locks you out and does a search on them, then it allows you to add one more character and updates the search results, and so on.

The PCM software update back in February made no difference to any of the above issues.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread I offered to let some friends borrow my Macan for several days for a road trip if they ever wanted to do so, and it dawned on me that I'd probably spend more time explaining the various shortcomings of the audio system to them than everything else put together. The Macan itself is great but Porsche should be embarrassed by its PCM system, at least the one in the 2015 cars (maybe 2017 Macans with the new PCM and two SD card slots are better). I don't need the latest and greatest technology for my music, but whatever the system does it should do consistently and predictably.
iconoclast likes this.
Jammer is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:22 AM
gir
Senior Member
 
gir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Yes, I did post specifics on another thread but I can't find it now. Here's a summary again though. Some of this is erratic behavior and some of it is just 20th century primitive. By the way, most of the time I'm listening to either MP3s on USB sticks or the jukebox, or standard music CDs.

1. When I first switch on the car the audio source usually sets itself to the last one I used (USB stick or CD), but the system frequently takes too long (20 - 30 seconds?) to recognize those sources and switches to FM radio instead. For some reason this seems to happen more often if the car has been switched off for only a very short period of time - for example, switching off the car for a minute while I run into the Post Office to mail a letter. This is irritating if I'm running around all day making short trips between stops.

2. The audio volume when I switch on the car is inconsistent. Sometimes it's where I left it, sometimes it's almost (but not quite) muted. The latter is annoying if I'm listening to MP3s or CDs because the music continues to play and I miss parts of it until I either realize that it hasn't come on or notice the very quiet background noise of the almost-muted music and turn it up again. It's even more annoying if I'm listening to an audio book and miss chunks of the text then have to scan backwards to find the right place.

3. Even when the system does recognize the USB stick and sets the volume correctly it sometimes takes 1 - 4 minutes before it shows a track listing, and until that happens I can't switch tracks or albums. This happens even if the same USB stick has been in place for several weeks.

4. The 10,000 file limit prevents me from putting all my music on a single USB stick in MP3 format so I split it between two USB sticks (128GB and 256GB) and the 40GB hard drive (5,000 file limit). However, when I switch USB sticks it takes a ridiculously long time (up to 45 minutes) for the system to find, list and add all the files to its database so I can fully access them. I've tried several brands of USB memory sticks, high-end name-brand and generic, with capacities from 4GB to 256GB, and they've all had the same issue. Also, with a 40GB hard disk for storage space it seems like the system should be able to recognize, store and maintain more than one USB database rather than building a new one from scratch every time the stick is switched. Because of the long database rebuilding time I switch USB sticks much less frequently than I otherwise would do.

5. Transferring files from a USB stick to the jukebox takes a very long time, and if you interrupt the process by switching off the car it restarts the transfer from the beginning. To avoid this problem I had to transfer the files in small batches over the course of several days - put a few file folders on the USB stick, transfer them to the jukebox on my next trip, then delete those files from the USB stick and repeat the process with a new batch on my next trip.

6. The music search function is primitive as well. After you've entered four characters it locks you out and does a search on them, then it allows you to add one more character and updates the search results, and so on.

The PCM software update back in February made no difference to any of the above issues.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread I offered to let some friends borrow my Macan for several days for a road trip if they ever wanted to do so, and it dawned on me that I'd probably spend more time explaining the various shortcomings of the audio system to them than everything else put together. The Macan itself is great but Porsche should be embarrassed by its PCM system, at least the one in the 2015 cars (maybe 2017 Macans with the new PCM and two SD card slots are better). I don't need the latest and greatest technology for my music, but whatever the system does it should do consistently and predictably.

Ever tried pluging the same 256GB usb drive in a PC and asking the media player to index all the meta data and art and likely resize bloated art work? Then asking it to recognize it and remember all the data on the drive after you replaced it with another. Never heard of ANY device that does that.

Perhaps you should be focusing your your frustration at Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the files systems that are derived from the 1980's or reset your exceptions that Porsche or Harman should reinvent disk file systems.

The PCM is not exactly a high performance PC but I think your expectations are a little out of line.
gir is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 02:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gir View Post
Ever tried pluging the same 256GB usb drive in a PC and asking the media player to index all the meta data and art and likely resize bloated art work? Then asking it to recognize it and remember all the data on the drive after you replaced it with another. Never heard of ANY device that does that.

Perhaps you should be focusing your your frustration at Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the files systems that are derived from the 1980's or reset your exceptions that Porsche or Harman should reinvent disk file systems.

The PCM is not exactly a high performance PC but I think your expectations are a little out of line.
@gir , I know that indexing the metadata from a large number of music files takes quite a while, but as far as selecting and playing those files quickly is concerned all I need is a simple list of folders and track names (Artist / Album / Track). My 8-year-old desktop provides that information from the 256GB USB stick in a second or so, after which I can select and play any track immediately; the embedded artwork is extracted and displayed at that time. The indexing should be running in the background, not blocking access to tracks until their metadata has been read and compiled into a database.

Requiring the database to be completely rewritten each time the USB stick is reinserted could be avoided by writing an empty text file with a unique ID number as its file name to the USB stick after the stick has been fully indexed, with that ID number being tied to a database file stored on the Jukebox. If that's too difficult for some reason then that just makes a stronger case for the above argument - allow access to the tracks as soon as their file names have been read.

I don't think my expectations are out of line. All I want to do is access and play MP3 files from a memory stick in a reasonable time frame - a few seconds, not 45 minutes later.

I'm curious though - am I the only one who's experiencing such slow file access from USB memory sticks in the Macan (or an Audi / Mercedes / Jaguar etc for that matter)? For any 2017 Macan owners, does the new PCM system with SD cards have the same problem?

Last edited by Jammer; 07-29-2016 at 03:17 AM.
Jammer is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Default

My 2017 Macan PCM has a 10gb hard drive and can only store 3,000 files.
The '17 Macan might be using USB 3.0 because copying files did not take that long from a thumb drive, about as fast as the copy to the drive from a laptop.
MACANdcheese is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfred View Post
My 2017 Macan PCM has a 10gb hard drive and can only store 3,000 files.
The '17 Macan might be using USB 3.0 because copying files did not take that long from a thumb drive, about as fast as the copy to the drive from a laptop.
@kingfred , I added a line to my post as you were posting yours. Do you play MP3s from SD cards, and if so how quickly can you access them after you first turn on the car?
Jammer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome