User Tag List

143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Default The ill spec of lot cars

I've asked many times "why not just skip the wait and find something close "? So I look at dealership after dealership and for most part they are just awful at configuring cars . It's as if they stubbornly dont want to sell the car. When they get stuck with it they still don't understand why . When someone goes in and decides to order a car instead of buying one on that day they still don't get it.
It's just this region .. in fact there are some places even worse .
It's not just with the Macan either.

I can spec a Macan GTS in the mid 70's. If a person wants the kitchen sink of options (luxury, technology , and sport) it will go into the 80's . I see cars in the 80's missing everything .

I can spec a base 911 at 99-103 K yet I see base 911 cars at 114K with no sport exhaust . I can spec an S for the price of their base car . Here take a look. The Porsche Code*
I'm under 120K with sport exhaust but they are in the mid 120's to 130K . For 130K my build will have everything . (cool wheels, metallic color , full leather, all the junk ).

It's hard to mess up a 991 Turbo S but even with that they spec a car where no one buys it.

I understand we all have different tastes . I realize some want luxury . Others want sport . Others want gadgets . Then build cars with separate priorities and if designing a higher priced car get it done covering all bases .

Do you know how i know I spec my cars well ? When I trade them in they are sold in less than 2 weeks . I have NEVER seen one of my cars sit on the lot .

Why don't they see it ? They get up and go to work every day. They look at the same unsold cars for months but it just doesn't click .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

I agree! I always check the local dealer sites, even now that I have my Macan, to see what they're selling. I am always surprised by the prices with lack of options that I felt were deal breakers. For example, some dealers have 60 Macans and only 4 with LED lights, and only the GTS's get PSE.
yrralis1 and L_K like this.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage

Good observation & one I've note many times. My Macan was purchased off the lot, & while it's reasonable well appointed, there are little things missing from it, like lighted visor mirrors/lighting package & voice control. The Boxster we just got is without entry & drive & a backup camera. Just silly little things - but things that I consider basics at that price point. I see that the lighting package is standard on the 2017s, so maybe Porsche is starting to pay attention, but the dealers still aren't. I know that many will disagree with me (bespoke, blah blah), but a car purchased for inventory is not bespoke & should have some of the basics that buyers expect at that price point.

I asked our mechanic how much it would cost to add the voice control to my '16 Macan. It's almost $2K, which about double what I'm willing to spend for it, so I'll probably pass on it. I just pick up the phone & ask Siri to call, since that's easier than scrolling through my contact list on the PCM. It's fine, but it would be more convenient to just use the voice commands.
yrralis1, alex_c and L_K like this.

2016 Macan Turbo in Dark Blue Metallic. Premium Package Plus. Saddle Brown/Luxor Beige Interior. 20" RS Spyder Wheels.
2016 Boxster GTS Carmine Red
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet Speed Yellow
2016 Ford F-150 Limited

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)

Completely agree with @yrralis1 .

When I was looking at lot vehicles to replaced my totaled GTS, I couldn't believe how poorly (and I don't mean cheap) most vehicles were specd'.

In Florida I found several $85K+ Macan GTS without LED lights. Cmon! It's a $500 option on a GTS, why not get it? Surround view? Forget it. Then again, it had a $6K custom purple color, and $2K in leather vents, and another $2K in purple dash pieces. If you are willing to pay $10K in bling, I'm sure you would be happy to have the rest of the "real" goodies.

Now, if you are looking de things like PTV+ or ACC, you will be lucky to find one, only to realize the one with PTV had no SC, and so on and so forth.

Needless to say, the only two that I found really fully to my liking, both were custom orders! The first one was sold, but I was lucky enough that the second one was a cancelled order. I snatched it the day it arrived at the dealership.

While I was looking for an in-stock Macan, I did a custom build at a local dealer (he said he needed my full specs to find a build slot), but it would take too long to arrive. BUT it looks like the dealer didn't sell that slot, and the vehicle arrived 3 months later according to my specs. Guess what? It sold in less than 10 days, while some of their other $80K+ GTS's have been sitting there for over 3 months.

You would imagine that they should know how to do this, as it is what they do for a living. Or is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yrralis1, tubernator, L_K and 4 others like this.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

seems like somebody could make a few bucks as a consultant to dealerships as The Configurator Guy. or better yet, develop a software product to help them do better builds, and sell it to all the dealerships across the country.

2017 Macan S ordered Sept 1st, 2016. (delivered Jan 23, 2017).
My first Porsche, and my first SUV ... config
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
... it had a $6K custom purple color, and $2K in leather vents, and another $2K in purple dash pieces.

sounds like a custom build that got cancelled. maybe by a Prince fan?
they should transfer that one over to a dealership in Minnesota
Jammer and vansmack like this.

2017 Macan S ordered Sept 1st, 2016. (delivered Jan 23, 2017).
My first Porsche, and my first SUV ... config
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1050 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I've asked many times "why not just skip the wait and find something close "? So I look at dealership after dealership and for most part they are just awful at configuring cars . It's as if they stubbornly dont want to sell the car. When they get stuck with it they still don't understand why .
Ok, lets look at this.

Unlike "us", the generic "us" who I'll call auto enthusiasts or Porsche enthusiasts or Macan enthusiasts, to dealers this is inventory. It's stock. It's material to push in and out the door. Nothing more, nothing less. While we might look at this passionately, they don't. That doesn't mean there might not be some employees who aren't enthusiasts but the bottom line is "its a business".

LED lights was given as an example. Bling. Not any brighter then HIDs, all US lighting is specifically mandated by FMVSS108. Try to read it. Its a fun read. So for $500 on a GTS you get bling. Now if you want bling, thats fine. But if you care about functionality, then its a waste of money. And I'll guess that the MAJORITY of Macan buyers, not the enthusiasts but the majority, view the cars as appliances and care about functionality. They have priorities and bling might not be high on their list. So how do dealerships spec cars?

This answer should be obvious. No car dealer wants any car to sit on the lot. This is stock. Every day its sits on lots they lose money. Dealers know what sells in their areas. They are not stupid (well not stupid if they want to make money). They know the colors and options that will get their cars off the lots as quick as possible. If you look at the existing models, the Cayennes, 911s, and 981s, they know ...

- colors that sell
- performance options that sell
- bling that sells

And they know what the "majority" of buyers want. The also know what they can add onto the car and it will get sold. For example, they will know that they can add some money making options like "logos on the seats" or "logos on the console" and when buying a $140,000 911, they can get away with it because the buyer will let it slide. They will know this for the area the dealerships reside. Where is the money coming from? Is this a high business area? A tech area? Rural area? Urban? Suburban? How old are the demographics of the area? Are they mostly older folks or is it a younger, tech savvy crowd with Internet money? Every area is different is some way.

So, in FL, ventilated seats might be important. In Maine, yeah not so much. The same might be true for heated seats. You all really need heated rear seats in FL? I doubt it. In Maine or Canada? Yeah, probably would be nice to have.

The same is true with colors. Just look at lot 911s. Its a sea of blacks, greys and silver, utterly boring colors for sports cars. Why do they do that? Because many people who buy off a lot are executives of some sort, they want a 911, but they don't want a flashy color. No bright blues, no bright red, no bright yellows. This is area dependent. Now, OTH, if you live in a area with performance is valued rather than a logo, there are tracks around, PCA is active, and they know people want the performance options, then you might see the more usual sports car colors like reds or yellows, and more cars with PDDC, SPASM, etc.

So Macans. Who buys them. We know the target audience. They know the target audience. They know their area. And after two years, they know a lot of buyers are coming from Acuras, Lexus, MB, and other luxury SUVs and are first time Porsche buyers. But the first year, we know all the cars were buyer specced. So maybe, there is one year of data at best. Who bought those cars? Auto enthusiasts. Who is buying the cars now? Just read the intros as new members come here from other brands. So what is going on.

First, some lot cars are cancellations. People order a car and back out all the time. It happens with the cheapest of cars. It happens with the most expensive cars. I've seen a 991 TTS sitting on the showroom floor because the buyer didn't like it on sight. I've seen GT3s on the floor, buyer backed out.

Second, and a guess, there simply isn't enough history, not enough data for dealerships to really determine what customers in their areas want. What will sell quickly? LED headlights? That's funny. Ventilated seats in FL? Yes. Heated seats in Maine? Yes. But what about PTV+, AS? These are not track cars, they are CUVs. Does Mom and Dad with a 5 year old care about sport +? I doubt it. Enthusiasts? Yes. But how many family cars use Launch Control, after the first time, and with a PDK regularly run the car to redline? 4? 15? So to enthusiasts, the might like the idea of sport + but for an appliances, its a waste of money.

So this is the balance dealerships must handle. "enthusiasts" are a fraction of the full set of consumers. They need to balance the lot car with cars enthusiasts might like but really, the market is the market for the masses who look at it as a toaster. The enthusiasts will order the car as desired. I would expect as the Macan market matures, dealers will be more attune with what customers want in their areas. Otherwise, they loose money on cars sitting on lots. Give them time. Its only been two years. Its not like they have 15 years experience with Cayennes or 50 years experiences with 911s. This is a new model with zero history.
TripleL, Cyclesafe, NETX and 5 others like this.
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1050 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
In Florida I found several $85K+ Macan GTS without LED lights. Cmon! It's a $500 option on a GTS, why not get it? Surround view? Forget it. Then again, it had a $6K custom purple color, and $2K in leather vents, and another $2K in purple dash pieces. If you are willing to pay $10K in bling, I'm sure you would be happy to have the rest of the "real" goodies.
"Real" is in the eye of the beholder. To you, its real. To others, it was a waste of money. It's a two way street.

Have you paused to consider that 99% of car owners NEVER see their headlights on coming at them?

Or considered that some drivers never, or rarely, drive at night?

Look outside your POV to what others do which might be completely different than your driving patterns.
NETX and L_K like this.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
"Real" is in the eye of the beholder. To you, its real. To others, it was a waste of money. It's a two way street.

Have you paused to consider that 99% of car owners NEVER see their headlights on coming at them?

Or considered that some drivers never, or rarely, drive at night?

Look outside your POV to what others do which might be completely different than your driving patterns.

That is the whole point: I would expect some vehicles to be specd' one way, while others be done differently. The problem with lot card is that most are cookie cutter specs. No creativity at all. So they are definitely looking at other's POV.

Regarding the headlights, LED's are technically superior. A $1,200+ option that in the case of the GTS you can get for around $500. I see that as a no brainer and a compelling selling point. I don't "see my car coming". That is silly. I want to see at night, and for that, the LED lights are much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jzwu, Macanakey and Andrew_GTS like this.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)

I have never really shopped for a six figure vehicle, but I'd imagine that the dealers are trying to differentiate their models from other manufacturers as well by showcasing the more extravagant items available on these Porsche models.

For example, there's a thread here about wanting an "Extraordinary" timepiece with recommendations for some very expensive and very extravagant watches that I'd never consider since they don't function any differently than less expensive watches. Yet if you have the additional money to spend, why not differentiate yourself this way?

Also, if you have the money to spend on these more extravagant options I'd imagine you'd go through cars pretty quickly so there's no point in waiting a few months to order a car. Just take what's on the lot now, then repeat in a year or two once you get bored of it or what something else with bling.

I personally don't understand it since I prioritize utility and function in my vehicles, not 'Bling". Okay, except for my LED lights... those I couldn't resist.
fritz, Andrew_GTS and 981GTS like this.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS - Delivered April 25, 2016 | Black/Black Leather | LED | Premium Package Plus | ParkAssist with Surround View | PCM | Brushed Alum Interior Package in Black | Deletion of Model Designation | Side Blades in Black |