LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1052 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2462 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
That is the whole point: I would expect some vehicles to be specd' one way, while others be done differently. The problem with lot card is that most are cookie cutter specs. No creativity at all.
As I explained, they are specced to sell, not to be "creative".

Quote:
Regarding the headlights, LED's are technically superior.
As I already explained, headlight specification in the US are mandated in law specified in FMVSS108. eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations Try reading it. Much of it covers angles and cutoffs.

So find me a documented test showing LEDs superior, functionally, than HIDs. Show me documentation where you can see better at night using LED technology vs HID technology. Let's see the functional test results. Don't tell me LEDs last longer than other forms of light. Find 10 people who had to replace blown out Xenon bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Default The ill spec of lot cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
And the point is, they are not selling. At least not nearly as fast as a better specd' vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #13 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
And the point is, they are not selling. At least not nearly as fast as a better specd' vehicle.
I guess you didn't read the entire post so one last time. ...

Dealers know what sells in their areas. They are not stupid (well not stupid if they want to make money). They know the colors and options that will get their cars off the lots as quick as possible. ...

First, some lot cars are cancellations. People order a car and back out all the time. ...

Second ... there simply isn't enough history, not enough data for dealerships to really determine what customers in their areas want. What will sell quickly? ... Does Mom and Dad with a 5 year old care about sport +?

If you are talking base Macans, PAG is building a 45 day inventory of lots cars like all other dealers with normal cars. Thats not the same thing.
Skinsfan and Shark like this.

post #14 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

It just does not make any sense to me buyingba lot car, you might just as well buy a used one and save a few grand.

Why on earth buy a lot Car when in a mere three months you get exactly what you want?

Its a Porsche not a Ford, not a Honda its an aspirational car for millions and yet you are willing to buy a car specified by another person, that makes no sense.

As for the LEDs well having driven different cars with different headlights the LEDs on my Turbo are in a totally different league my last Macan had Xenons which were better than halogens by a country mile but way less as good as the LEDs.
fritz likes this.
post #15 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM

Default The ill spec of lot cars

Quote:

As I already explained, headlight specification in the US are mandated in law specified in FMVSS108. eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations Try reading it. Much of it covers angles and cutoffs.

So find me a documented test showing LEDs superior, functionally, than HIDs. Show me documentation where you can see better at night using LED technology vs HID technology. Let's see the functional test results. Don't tell me LEDs last longer than other forms of light. Find 10 people who had to replace blown out Xenon bulbs.

Grim, I don't need to read a government report to know what I can see with my own eyes. LEDs have a whiter, cleaner light than Xenons. Have you driven both, back and forth at night to compare? I have. Faster, better and more fun than reading your gov report, thanks.

fritz, Andrew_GTS and Macanvin like this.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #16 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Grim, I don't need to read a government report to know what I can see with my own eyes.
As suspected, you have no test results, no documentation, only proof by assertion. And dealers are poor business men who dont know how to buy stock to sell. Ok, ur beliefs.
Shark likes this.
post #17 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
As suspected, you have no test results, no documentation, only proof by assertion. And dealers are poor business men who dont know how to buy stock to sell. Ok, ur beliefs.

Have you hear the expression "go to the horse's mouth"? It comes from the medieval times, where philosophers loved to write and argue about how many teeth horses should have. No need to do a dissertation, just open the horse's mouth and count.

Same thing here: which light is better at night. Open your eyes and judge for yourself. No reading required.

fritz and Macanvin like this.

post #18 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 366 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)

Me thinks one is talking about selling horses and the other about lighting candles or Versa Visa

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Macanvin and 981GTS like this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #19 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)

Most lot cars are not spec'd the way a performance oriented driver might want. Which is probably the orientation of most drivers here. And if you truly want a sporty spec and utility. Good luck.

Guess how many Macans there are in Canada with 20" wheels, roof rails, trailer hitch, PTV+ and AS in Canada? Zero. Out of over 150 Macans listed on dealer web sites. Of course the majority of those listed are base models.
L_K likes this.

2015 Macan S, Agate Grey, AS/PASM/PTV, 20" SD, Tow hitch and roof rails, No sunroof
1973 911S, Ivory White, MT5
1973 911RS, White/Blue, MT5
post #20 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanuck View Post
Most lot cars are not spec'd the way a performance oriented driver might want.
Macans? Of course not. The public doesn't care one bit about performance. Its a CUV.

Quote:
No reading required.
If you did some due diligence you would have found that the IIHS is testing headlights now. No Porsche will ever be in it but the facts are out there. FMVSS108 is fact. It is the law within the US and all OEM headlights must fit within the boundaries of the law. Generally, OEM HIDs put out 3000 lumens. There is no consistent standard I know of for LEDS. FMVSS108 deals mostly with angles and cutoff. However, the IIHS knows there is much more to this than lumens and hence actual, on the road test, just like you mention. Imagine that ...

Testing standards Headlight evaluation

TL;DR? The best results come from systems that follow the road, like PDLS. But how do LEDs stack up against HIDs and Halogens? Forget about HIDs, let just look at the much weaker system, Halogens.

All cars are not created equal

Mercedes C Class rated POOR with LEDs Vehicle details
Nissan Altima POOR with LEDS Vehicle details
VW Passat POOR with LEDS Vehicle details
Audi A3 POOR with LEDs Vehicle details
Nissan Rogue POOR with LEDS Vehicle details
BMW 3 Serieos Marginal with LEDs Vehicle details
Lincoln MKS Marginal with LEDs Vehicle details

You get the point.

But wait, the Honda Accord is rated Acceptable, with, wait for it ... Halogens, not even HIDS Vehicle details
And the CR-V Vehicle details

etc. so much for the mighty LEDs headlights.

Do real testing. Lend a Macan with LEDs and one with HIDs, both with PDLS, to IIHS and see what the say. Come back with real empirical data according to some standardized test. Then we can talk about which is better. Until then, Proof by Assertion means nothing.

This is no different than those bar room napkin racers. Go to the Ring and put up a time. Then we can talk. Same here. Get some standardized testing results from an independent organization.
Shark, jzwu, alex_c and 1 others like this.