The ill spec of lot cars - Page 10 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

 143Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #91 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NE, IL
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
Oh, this dealer has the buyers. It's located on Chicago's North Shore. The Porsche Exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
You know of a dealer with 7 GTS and 5-6 Turbos in stock?

Thats in Chicago? Where are the buyers?
Some of those are PTS lot cars. It's a high end area, they know their clients.
Buckfever is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
Some of those are PTS lot cars. It's a high end area, they know their clients.

And, then there's me... likely a Base or possibly an S.
fincher is offline  
post #93 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yrralis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,821
Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post




The issue with your lot cars for Macans is simply the balance of understanding the customer base. This is the vast majority of buyers who will never read, nm, post in any forum and this includes the sports cars. Most people simply don't care about forums.
This is where you and I are stalemated in the discussion. If I drop the conditionals and accept the premise that auto forums bring the type of reader you suggest then I'd be closer to agree with you . On the other hand it still wont account for so many ill spec cars remaining unsold . It only will narrow the topic a bit .

My feeling is that Porsche SUV auto forums have a wide variety of readers and posters . There are few if any professional drivers here . There are many who have never tracked a car . There are even some who cant drive a manual gearbox. In fact the pro drivers I have met in person have no interest in posting in an auto forum. The top technicians don't have the time .

When it comes to posting I dont think its as much about the type of buyer when it comes to posting . Notice that most on this forum are married or yet very few couples post . It's not that the spouse lacks interest in the car. They may even talk about the car or the forum together . Not everyone posts.

So can the poster be any type of shopper or is Porsche a specific type ? You seem to advocate that a Porsche shopper who goes to a dealership is somehow different than another who posts on a Porsche forum and that the dealership has that guy more in mind . I disagree and the unsold lot cars are the tangible outcome . It's not because what forum guys want is different . It's because the configurator guy cant figure out what sells . So people still order cars and some of them come here to voice it.
Faux Paws likes this.
yrralis1 is offline  
post #94 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yrralis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,821
Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr View Post
Again, I think OPs comment was in reference to dealers not getting builds right and seeing "lot" cars sit for a while. Currently stagnant or not, the dealers need cars that can move well under lease programs if the lots starts to fill up. That's all I'm saying. I didn't intend to imply that inventory is building up. I have no idea one way or another. I only wish I had more time to window shop Porsche dealers.
Porsche has yet to compete with other lease programs of competing manufacturers . I do agree that many ill spec cars have leasing in mind but i also feel that the MRM parameters add yet another snag for the configurator guy . It places a price boundary where they try to fit in items. The specific buyer even struggles to fit together his options . Imagine how hard it becomes when catering to many .

Having an option list the length of football field , with a price target boundary, and a poor lease price is a recipe to fail . That's why most here do in fact BUY the car . In Miami though they lease because it's my opinion there are a lot of pretentious people who simply want to show off and only look at the monthy payment.
yrralis1 is offline  
post #95 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
Oh, this dealer has the buyers. It's located on Chicago's North Shore. The Porsche Exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
Some of those are PTS lot cars. It's a high end area, they know their clients.
You can't find one GTS in stock for 5 ontario dealers lol. luckily we have a 6th coming..

2017 Macan GTS - Incoming Jan 20
2014 S4 - Gone
Maitre_Absolut is offline  
post #96 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
alex_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Default The ill spec of lot cars

Just as an exercise, look at stock GTS vehicles for sale. How many still are ordered with Piano Black instead of the NO COST black aluminum. It is a NO COST OPTION for crying out loud. Why don't they order that???? If they actually knew, they could easily upsell that. Instead they order "what they know", and that is piano black. The same thing with LED's. Tell the customer that LED's are normally nearly $2K but he is getting it here for only $500. Done, give it to me!

Cargo management system. $350. JUST the included net costs over $450!!! Don't want it? Sure, we'll take off the $350 (and the parts dept can sell the accessories for $1,000 online.

And who in his right mind orders a STOCK GTS or Turbo with... Model Designation Delete! OMG. if it is a custom order, get what you want, but a stock unit????

Clearly not Mensa material.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yrralis1, Pokerhobo and trusted like this.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
alex_c is offline  
post #97 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yrralis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,821
Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Just as an exercise, look at stock GTS vehicles for sale. How many still are ordered with Piano Black instead of the NO COST black aluminum. It is a NO COST OPTION for crying out loud. Why don't they order that????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL -- I have the plastic (instead of black aluminum) as well as lack the smoking package and both are free.

I once bought a 911 lot car (years ago) which had the buttons for heated seats but lacked them . I found out during a cold snap .
yrralis1 is offline  
post #98 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,396
Mentioned: 981 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
This is where you and I are stalemated in the discussion. ...
So can the poster be any type of shopper or is Porsche a specific type ? You seem to advocate that a Porsche shopper who goes to a dealership is somehow different than another who posts on a Porsche forum and that the dealership has that guy more in mind . I disagree and the unsold lot cars are the tangible outcome . It's not because what forum guys want is different . It's because the configurator guy cant figure out what sells . So people still order cars and some of them come here to voice it.
I don't think we are far apart. My statement is simple, forget about p-car forum members. I wrote:


some lot cars are cancellations Now this is not the base cars. The factory shifted production to base cars instead of other trim levels to get stock, just like other car makers do.

and

there simply isn't enough history, not enough data for dealerships to really determine what customers in their areas want.

Cancellations happen all the time. As to the rest, you acknowledge that someone at a dealership specs them. Dealerships are companies. Some fall under the umbrella of a larger auto group, lots of brands. No company wants to lose money. If they don't get it right, they will use someone else. Some will be good at it, some bad.

These are simple business decisions. You spec the car to sell. They are allowed to make mistakes at first but sooner or later they will get it right - or go out of business.
WHT TGR likes this.
grim is offline  
post #99 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 PM
kdr
Senior Member
 
kdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
Having an option list the length of football field , with a price target boundary, and a poor lease price is a recipe to fail . That's why most here do in fact BUY the car . In Miami though they lease because it's my opinion there are a lot of pretentious people who simply want to show off and only look at the monthy payment.
Leasing a 911 above the MRM is approaching the equivalent of buying a car and not expecting any value at trade-in. There's no recipe for stupidity. Having said that GTS cars below the MRM can be leased for an equivalent or better cost than owning, expecially if you live in a high sales tax state. You just have to know what you're doing. Porsche leases are not as favorable as other brands but Porsche buying vs Porsche leasing on the right car is an even match if handled right.

Enjoying a Macan GTS since June 2016
kdr is offline  
post #100 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Stoney Creek, Ontario
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
LOL -- I have the plastic (instead of black aluminum) as well as lack the smoking package and both are free.

I once bought a 911 lot car (years ago) which had the buttons for heated seats but lacked them . I found out during a cold snap .
Brilliant thread sir, no additional comments as everyone's covered it. Whoever it is at any dealership responsible for "lot cars" needs to read this lol.
yrralis1 likes this.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Scheduled GTS Build: 17 March 2017
GTS Delivery: 12 May 2017
Currently Drives: 2016 M3 Individual "One of One"
Mark's M is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome