89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by someporschegirl View Post
Right.....I see where you're coming from. I read the article in the link you sent, which was informative re quartz vs mechanical watches. So, thanks for that but you don't have to be rude about it (which is how you come across).

I asked the question on the forum because I was interested to see what watches people on here would recommend. I mentioned that I want an exceptional timepiece because I want something beautiful and unique to mark a milestone.
If I come across as rude, well, so be it. Your post came across as pretentious and arrogant, so I suppose we're even. With the entire Internet at your disposal, that you're asking the question here gives one great pause. I certainly wouldn't ask about the Macan on the Rolex forum or the IWC boards.

Things that are beautiful and unique are not necessarily exceptional timepieces. Like many things in this world, it's very easy to get ripped off when spending large amounts of money outside of our "world of knowledge." As the article I posted mentions, ladies watches are generally jewelry and not much more. Exceptional timepieces are complex mechanical devices that are feats of engineering mixed with artwork - and they come from some of the finest craftsmen on the planet. And for all their troubles, they're generally piss-poor at telling time and require a lot more (expensive) maintenance than a Timex. It's like buying a Ferrari that drives like crap.

Congrats on your milestone, whatever it is. Without presuming to know anything about you, I do know it's cold as **** in Toronto and the Leafs are mediocre so perhaps you could celebrate with a trip to the Maldives instead. Memories are more valuable than possessions.
notmac1, CCH22 and Len Walsh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
Ok. I'm sorry but I couldn't resist. Here's the deal. You say you want an exceptional timepiece. Then you mention by name one of the most expensive well-known brands out there, but a QUARTZ movement. That is not an exceptional timepiece. It's an overpriced bit of name brand snobbery. For good measure you throw in a couple luxury brands that "aren't good enough"
AP actually sells watches with quartz movement????

This confirms my impression of the brand.
RJMcInnis likes this.

2017 Macan GTS "STORMTROOPER" - Delivered Jan 28
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 S4 - Gone
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)

@someporschegirl , on style alone, I agree the AP Royal Oak might be a bit too geometric. I also see too much bling and not enough timepiece. But what do I know, my wife prefers bracelets instead. I'd keep looking.
someporschegirl likes this.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Because generally P owners have great taste! I find that most (but not all) car guys are also watch guys so here I am seeking your advice!

I'm looking for an exceptional timepiece. In particular the AP royal oak full pave. My concern is that it might be too geometric and angular looking that it won't work well for black tie events.

For you to get a sense of my taste, I gravitate towards van cleef & arpels and chopard like there's no tomorrow :P
But I'm looking for something different; something out of my comfort zone; and something exceptional. Not something more tame like a datejust or tank française.

P.S. I don't know too much about watches but I'm someone whose hoping to learn a thing or two about them!

So, my question is...what do you think of the AP royal oak on a woman (is it too masculine?) and do you have any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Man, this is a tough one because, er, I'm a man. The watches you mentioned are pretty, but harken more of jewelry than timepieces. While I agree that automatics, especially expensive ones, tell terrible time, I just can't get over spending that much money and getting a quartz movement. Honestly, I usually use my phone for the time, and reserve my watch as the only adornment that I will wear. Of those that I own, I find the Romain Jerome the most unique. They are certainly conversation pieces and have a little something extra that other even more expensive pieces don't. They might not be for you, but check out their website and the different collections. Maybe, you'll find something that strikes you, and save some cash to boot!...
RJMcInnis and someporschegirl like this.

----
Mike

'16 Torch Red ZO6
'15 Sapphire Blue Macan Turbo
'15 Iridium Silver C63s
'10 Blade Silver ZR1
'87 Grand National
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)

Quote:
P.S. I don't know too much about watches but I'm someone whose hoping to learn a thing or two about them!
I'll give you some generic advice that I found very helpful with regards to buying watches. Absolutely use the internet to do some preliminary research, however, you need to actually go to a watch boutique to try them on. What looks great on the screen may not appeal to you on the wrist. Try on as many watches as possible and only buy what sings to you.

Good luck!
RJMcInnis and someporschegirl like this.

2017 Porsche Macan S. Volcano Grey with RS Spyders and my carefully curated set of options.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
... Your post came across as pretentious and arrogant, so I suppose we're even. With the entire Internet at your disposal, that you're asking the question here gives one great pause. I certainly wouldn't ask about the Macan on the Rolex forum or the IWC boards.

Things that are beautiful and unique are not necessarily exceptional timepieces. Like many things in this world, it's very easy to get ripped off when spending large amounts of money outside of our "world of knowledge." As the article I posted mentions, ladies watches are generally jewelry and not much more. Exceptional timepieces are complex mechanical devices that are feats of engineering mixed with artwork - and they come from some of the finest craftsmen on the planet. And for all their troubles, they're generally piss-poor at telling time and require a lot more (expensive) maintenance than a Timex. It's like buying a Ferrari that drives like crap.

Congrats on your milestone, whatever it is. Without presuming to know anything about you, I do know it's cold as **** in Toronto and the Leafs are mediocre so perhaps you could celebrate with a trip to the Maldives instead. Memories are more valuable than possessions.
What a fascinating thread. Such a vivid contrast to the alternative 'Watch Discussion - Wrist Shots' thread, also in the lounge, wherein members knowledgeably discuss matters horological with admirable expertise and a total absence of self-aggrandisement.
http://www.macanforum.com/forum/pors...ist-shots.html

The initiator hasn't answered any of the questions elicited by the OP, reacting only to rhoyle's insightful exposition #11 without gratitude, simultaneously failing to meaningfully engage members who've bothered to provide suggestions and helpful advice. Though unnoticed I'm proud to have identified the poseur purpose of the OP by #6 .

Ostentation is uncommon in this forum, despite the prestige associated with Porsche cars. I've noticed members with spectacular car collections and many have glamorous occupations or successful enterprises, yet they're all here to discuss our super trucks. These discussions can be spirited too, fueled by passion for the vehicle rather than impudicity. Whether owners of the base model, pre-owned cars, or simply aspiring owners, members of this forum are remarkably down-to-earth, passionate and helpful car people. What a very pleasant group to participate with.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2549 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyA56 View Post
The watches you mentioned are pretty, but harken more of jewelry than timepieces.
All watches today are jewelry. Nobody (the general nobody) buys them to tell time anymore. Time is shown everywhere. How many clocks are in your car, your house, your phone, in every building you enter?

OP I assume you read http://www.macanforum.com/forum/pors...ist-shots.html

Your getting pushback for two reasons. First, generally - nobody buys $80,000 cars and $40,000 watches. I can understand if some think your trolling. You should be asking this in the Veyron forum. Second, nobody wears watches anymore. It's so 1972. Of course these are generalities but I believe that is why you are getting pushback.
CCH22 and L_K like this.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have always preferred Rolex.

One thing that's been interesting is the trend for women to wear 40mm stainless steel Rolex sport watches like the Submariner.

That said, I know a lot of women like the Rolex Daytona, Stainless Steel reference #116500 with a black ceramic bezel. It comes in white or black dial, and it's an absolute stunner.

You should consider this watch. The only downside is the long waiting list.

Good luck with your decision!
someporschegirl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

To the OP:
Hmmm that's a tough one. I say go for what you want, go to a retailer and try on as many watches as you like. The thing about watches are, they can be functional and utilitarian, they are what you MAKE them to be. I have a few watches in my collection, and they range from fantastic plastic (I have a mechanical swatch that cost me $120) to "I only break it out for special occasions" (My ceramic Omega Dark Side of the Moon) and everything in between. I recently went to try on a few watches and I ended up with a very simple IWC Portofino, but not before I really thought about a Tudor Black Bay Dark. I tried on that Tudor and the lummes on the face was so bright I was detracted from it, but I wouldn't be able to tell that from looking at it online. You also might want to go vintage as well! Some good deals can be had. I would recommend looking at sites like https://www.hodinkee.com and others to get a good feel for whats out there. It's a deep dark rabbit hole when it comes to watches!

As a side tangent:
I am a fan of fine engineering and design, I could watch that show "How it's made" for days and not get tired of it. Yes you have a phone that is connected to a time server that is somehow connected to a atomic clock, great. A watch is a very personal thing that I enjoy just as much I do my cars or food. I have my eGolf, as well as my Macan. Yes, having a watch maybe an "old way" of thinking but I would say that I very much admire the design and engineering to get a watch moving and telling time. Also each of my watches tells a story and thats part of the fun of it. Take for example, my Omega Speedmaster. I have always been a fan of aerospace and even as a child, I found the moon landing fascinating (keep your **** tinfoil away whether we landed on the moon or not!). Well as I grew older, I found out that it still is the official time keeper for NASA and the moon landing. I decided when I turned 30, I would mark the occasion and buy that watch for myself, and so I did. I also have a Suunto Core Black, that was given to me as a gift by some people who do secret things in the dark in countries we don't know about. It's a reminder that some of my friends are in harms way. Sure, it's just a watch, sure it tells times, but to me its a personal journey.
jimmy and someporschegirl like this.

Current:
2017 Macan S "Heidi"
2016 VW E-Golf "Bob"

Gone but not forgotten:
2013 Audi S5 "Olivia"
2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S "Oliver"
2007 Mercedes E350 "Chloe"
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

Too funny, I have an eGolf and a Macan too.

My gone is a S5 too.

I was also going to post up a quote from Hodinkee which discussed different time pieces and when it is appropriate to wear. (I refrained because it is not really my business to comment on another's personal style).
rhoyle and maxdbunny like this.