Recommendation for exceptional timepiece - Page 2 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)

Ok. I'm sorry but I couldn't resist. Here's the deal. You say you want an exceptional timepiece. Then you mention by name one of the most expensive well-known brands out there, but a QUARTZ movement. That is not an exceptional timepiece. It's an overpriced bit of name brand snobbery. For good measure you throw in a couple luxury brands that "aren't good enough"

Take a look at the next "black tie" event you attend and make note of the timepieces being worn by men and women alike. I'll help you out: It's in bad taste for men to wear a wristwatch with a tuxedo.

If you're truly interested in watches, I would suggest educating yourself on the movements, the engineering and the history of mechanicals. Spend some time on the forums, get some books. Talk to a watchmaker.

If you're just interested in appearances, the most impressive thing you can do with your 50k is invest it wisely. Most of this world is more impressed with someone who can turn 50k into 100k than someone who can turn 50k into some diamonds.
grim, NETX, RJMcInnis and 8 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage

Piaget or, of course, a Patek. The Patek will always keep it's value and they are highly collectible. The benchmark of watches!
someporschegirl likes this.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
Take a look at the next "black tie" event you attend and make note of the timepieces being worn by men and women alike. I'll help you out: It's in bad taste for men to wear a wristwatch with a tuxedo.
Okay, you tell him it's in bad taste
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James-Bond-Rolex-Watch.jpg (118.7 KB, 62 views)
windblow and Jammer like this.

2016 Macan S, | Dark Blue Metallic | Espresso Leather | 20" Spyders | Premium Package Plus | Infotainment | AS | PTV+ | SC | Power Steering Plus | LCA-LKA | Surround View | SD Package with Side Skirts | Side Blades Car Color | Comfort Lighting | Aluminum Rails | Bose | Colored Wheel Crests |

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)

Quote:
Ok. I'm sorry but I couldn't resist. Here's the deal. You say you want an exceptional timepiece. Then you mention by name one of the most expensive well-known brands out there, but a QUARTZ movement. That is not an exceptional timepiece. It's an overpriced bit of name brand snobbery. For good measure you throw in a couple luxury brands that "aren't good enough"
But LeBron James wears them.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thguy View Post
Okay, you tell him it's in bad taste
He is perhaps, THE exception. Fueled of course by marketing hype!

The Dos Equis guy also gets a pass.
Jammer and WHT TGR like this.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16HTON View Post
But LeBron James wears them.
Lebron wears a ladies AP? This I've gotta see.
RJMcInnis and Pokerhobo like this.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:

If you're truly interested in watches, I would suggest educating yourself on the movements, the engineering and the history of mechanicals. Spend some time on the forums, get some books. Talk to a watchmaker.

If you're just interested in appearances, the most impressive thing you can do with your 50k is invest it wisely. Most of this world is more impressed with someone who can turn 50k into 100k than someone who can turn 50k into some diamonds.
I can spend my money however I desire, you also know nothing about me
windblow and Arnold_T like this.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someporschegirl View Post
I can spend my money however I desire, you also know nothing about me
I did not claim to know anything about you, nor did I suggest any limitations to how you spend your money. You asked for opinions, I gave you one. If you think a quartz watch is an exceptional timepiece, then I'm sure there's someone more than willing to take your money.

I again suggest that you educate yourself before making a purchase.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/ask-watc...omens-watches/
RJMcInnis, mcnallys and Len Walsh like this.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage

For a woman, I recommend Panerai, PAM 523 to be specific.

Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic Acciaio - 42mm - Panerai watch

It's a white dial which goes well with any kind of occasion. 42mm is bigger than most, but the unique size and casing stands out. Ones that are watch collectors will notice it right away. Panerai watches also comes with wide variety of 3rd party straps which you can change easily to match your outfit. A friend of mine wear this with a yellow gator strap with casual jeans and shirts on a casual days. On work day she'll put on a black strap.
mcnallys and someporschegirl like this.

2017 Macan S :: volcano grey metallic :: black interior :: 20' RS Spyder :: 18-way seats :: PP :: PASM+AS :: LCA :: black roof rail :: gloss black trim :: smoking pkg :: comfort lighting :: painted rear fascia :: Ordered in Oct 15' :: Delivered on 4/22/16.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
I did not claim to know anything about you, nor did I suggest any limitations to how you spend your money. You asked for opinions, I gave you one. If you think a quartz watch is an exceptional timepiece, then I'm sure there's someone more than willing to take your money.

I again suggest that you educate yourself before making a purchase.

Why Aren't There More Mechanical Women's Watches? - Ask Watch Experts Questions About Watches | aBlogtoWatch
Right.....I see where you're coming from. I read the article in the link you sent, which was informative re quartz vs mechanical watches. So, thanks for that but you don't have to be rude about it (which is how you come across).

I asked the question on the forum because I was interested to see what watches people on here would recommend. I mentioned that I want an exceptional timepiece because I want something beautiful and unique to mark a milestone.
L_K likes this.