User Tag List

67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Default Need recommendation for Single Malt Scotch

It goes without saying that members of this forum have excellent taste, given their choice of vehicles. So beyond Porsches, I would like to take advantage of your experienced palates in the whisky realm.

I have some friends who will be visiting and they are Scotch drinkers. I need a recommendation for a good single malt Scotch in the $50 - $100 range. I know that @WHT TGR has suggested Glenfiddich 15 and @Macanuck an Ardbeg uigeadail in the past. Would these be acceptable to seasoned Scotch drinkers as well as to a novice like myself?

2017 GTS in Carmine Red with Black/Garnet Red Interior. Delivered March 2016. Porsche build code is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:40 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Try Strathisla, it is my favourite value single malt.
It is the number one single they use in Chivas, so it is very consistent.
A bit of a secret for those in the know.
You mightn't like it, but I certainly do
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I don't know if it's available in MA but if you can find a bottle of Bushmills Black Bush or even an anniversary edition from 2008, don't hesitate.
It's a small but renowned Northern Ireland distillery that I visited some years ago.

They use all sort of mixed used barrels from sherry to port and even other whisky brands to obtain their distinctive taste.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Single malts come in a wide range of styles, but my recommendation for you in your situation would be the Lagavulin 16 year old. It's a very intense peaty style, and pretty easy to find in most markets. even if it isn't your friends' favourite style, they will respect it, and respect your taste

other brands I like in that price range are the Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old, or Talisker 10 years or older, or Highland Park 10+
SoCalS5 and voodoo like this.

2017 Macan S ordered Sept 1st, 2016. (delivered Jan 23, 2017).
My first Porsche, and my first SUV ... config
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Arnold_T; 10-14-2016 at 08:17 AM.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I don't know if it's available in MA but if you can find a bottle of Bushmills Black Bush or even an anniversary edition from 2008, don't hesitate.
It's a small but renowned Northern Ireland distillery that I visited some years ago.

They use all sort of mixed used barrels from sherry to port and even other whisky brands to obtain their distinctive taste.
But Irish whisky isn't Scotch...
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage

One of my favorites in that price range is Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. Many people refer to it as a desert Scotch as it's easy to drink and has a citrus and nut flavor.

If you want a more affordable and traditional Scotch, look for Aberfledy 12 or 18 (or 21 depending on how much you want to spend).

Now if you want to show off a bit and are willing to go a little above your spend limit, look for Aultmore 21. This is one of the smoothest Single Malts I own but not the easiest bottle to find outside the UK.

Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 are kinda the gold standard and almost always available, while not adventurous or impressive almost everyone drinks them.
dmsiceman and Hgd like this.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
But Irish whisky isn't Scotch...
I know. It's better than Scotch
SoCalS5 and Thunder like this.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

It's going to be a tough task to satisfy seasoned veterans as well as a novice like yourself with a single bottle. Many that are new to the Scotch world find the Islay's a bit too earthy/peaty, both in nose and in palette. @Arnold T has a good recommendation with the Balvenie Doublewood, and I would add that Balvenie Carribean Cask 14 yr is a great compromise for your diverse group. The veterans will appreciate the unique finish, and you will find it a smooth introduction to great scotch.

Know your service too. Some, like myself, consider a "splash" only about 3 DROPS of water in a dram. Others will take a short pour. Rocks can be the ones from the ice box, or I find a great way to cool a dram is with whiskey stones (literally small chunks of granite that you chill in the freezer that don't water down the drink). What's "correct" is what those enjoying the drink prefer, and you will find opinions on all sides. If any of those opinions includes a mixer, kindly show them the door, and be sure to catch their heel on the way out!
dmsiceman, SoCalS5 and fritz like this.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

+1 for the Balvenie suggestions, all of theirs are nice, and I'd add Highland Park 15 and 18
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
What's "correct" is what those enjoying the drink prefer, and you will find opinions on all sides

very true. I don't add water or ice. just straight, room temp for me. but I would still enjoy it if you served it to me with ice or water. and I would be too polite to say anything

2017 Macan S ordered Sept 1st, 2016. (delivered Jan 23, 2017).
My first Porsche, and my first SUV ... config