User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Default How to shop around

I'm looking to order a Macan S. Should I send each prospective dealer my Porsche Code and ask for their best price? Or is it best to just mention which model I'm interested in? Should I mention I'm paying cash? Which fees are negotiable.....dealer doc and delivery charges, etc? I've been into my local dealership several times but we haven't talked numbers yet and I'd like to start gathering ammunition.

I think I've spent the entire past week on this forum and the discussions have been incredibly helpful. It's so addictive!
Spinelli likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For me the the most painless way to shop around was to use True Car as then the dealers contact you if they want your business.You also see what other people paid in your area. This can be done by e-mail which in my case came in handy as I wanted a close to home dealership but their discount was less than that offered by dealership 100 miles away. The close dealership matched the offer of the 100 miles away dealership and I ordered my car. They gave discount based on build rather than paying cash, etc.
Smeagle likes this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Garage

I sent my local dealership (SA) an email stating the vehicle I wanted with options and what percent off I wanted. I got exactly what I asked for (8%) so maybe my asking discount was too low. Shoot for the moon and see how it turns out because the worst they will do is say no and come back with a counteroffer.
fritz, Smeagle and Spinelli like this.

Macan Turbo PP in Carmine Red with TEP, Opti-Coat Pro+, Expel Ultimate - aka "Redneck Sled" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. First Macan - 2015 Macan S in Agate Grey with Epel Ultimate. Lowered with H&R Sport Springs and tuned with a Race Chip.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Look into what others are paying in your area. Throw the highest % off offer to all dealers within 100 miles. Worse they can do is turn you down. I was able to get 6% off for my Macan S. If the dealer that was willing to give you the best discount is far away, use that info to a closer dealer.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle View Post
I'm looking to order a Macan S. Should I send each prospective dealer my Porsche Code and ask for their best price? Or is it best to just mention which model I'm interested in? Should I mention I'm paying cash? Which fees are negotiable.....dealer doc and delivery charges, etc? I've been into my local dealership several times but we haven't talked numbers yet and I'd like to start gathering ammunition.

I think I've spent the entire past week on this forum and the discussions have been incredibly helpful. It's so addictive!
You will have a hard time negotiating this car at any dealership . The reason is that they fear getting stuck with an over optioned car if you back out of the deal . I saw a 110K Macan S sittting on my dealership lot for over 2 years and that's just one of many examples over the years at several dealerships .
If a dealership gets stuck with an 85K Macan S they will have a tough time selling it

The other point is that whatever you can save at the entrance you will lose at the exit on a high option car . I have a friend who did this with on a cayenne S back in 2011 . He still has the car !!! He wanted to buy a macan GTS but cant face the quote he got on his used Cayenne S (which was priced in Turbo territory).

Most Florida dealerships are quite good to negotiate . Of course one can split hairs of whether its worth driving 2 hours to save 1500 bucks but unless the dealership was totally unwilling to bend I'd opt for convenience and shop near to home .

The 2018 car is a new model year when means they have an entire year to sell them and thus might be a bit tougher to pin down a deal. The real deals are on the 17 lot cars and there are so many in this state .

If the specific car is the most important thing I'd order it conveniently , near home, and just wait . If spending extra I'd make it easy and ask for about 5 grand off and see if they come close. If not I'd look at the lots of other dealerships at their cars in inventory , find one , and buy it right on the spot . Buyer leverage comes with an immediate sale on the lot.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panocya View Post
For me the the most painless way to shop around was to use True Car as then the dealers contact you if they want your business.You also see what other people paid in your area.
As the attached article explains, True Car is not what it once was.

Five years ago I thought they were terrific, but more recently I repeatedly have found that their prices are far too easy to beat, to the point that it seems clear their primary goal is to just steer you to the dealers who pay them.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
Skinsfan and BossHoss like this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:01 PM

I used true car to get an idea of the discounts in my area and to get a .98% interest rate on the loan ($50,000) I did much better than true car but it gave me a start for negotiating. True Car is not the final solution
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panocya View Post
I used true car to get an idea of the discounts in my area and to get a .98% interest rate on the loan ($50,000) I did much better than true car but it gave me a start for negotiating. True Car is not the final solution
Where did you get a 0.98% loan? That's terrific. What term and how recently?

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:29 PM

Needed to go thru true car and my credit union. Terms were three years. Rate at California Coast Credit Union have been raised 30 basis points since I financed in May. Thru True Car & Credit Union rate in now 1.28%
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
You will have a hard time negotiating this car at any dealership . The reason is that they fear getting stuck with an over optioned car if you back out of the deal . I saw a 110K Macan S sittting on my dealership lot for over 2 years and that's just one of many examples over the years at several dealerships .
If a dealership gets stuck with an 85K Macan S they will have a tough time selling it
Right now, there is a 2017 GTS at Perimeter Porsche in Atlanta for $101.3k. I'm sure that was ordered by someone who probably decided they wanted a Turbo PP for similar money.
yrralis1 likes this.

2017 GTS White/Red ordered 22 Nov 2016 /PEC ATL delivery number 223 on March 7, 2017