7Likes
  • 6 Post By BossHoss
  • 1 Post By santastico

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Default Should I get past service records with a CPO purchase?

Hi,

This is my first post here as an owner. I just picked up a 2016 S CPO and something I found frustrating is that the dealer "couldn't" give me any service history on the car. I did get the certification sheets that show all of the check marks of the points they inspected and a dealer stamp in the Maintenance Manual for Intermediate Maintenance and Engine Oil Change which they performed when they got it.

They said that giving me the past service records would risk divulging the previous owner's identity, which was strictly forbidden. I get that, but how about just the records? It should be just a 10k oil change, I believe, but I would like to know if there was anything else. They made it sound like the fact that they certified it should be enough.

Is this actually Porsche's policy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage

While I understand that there may be privacy issues, you should be able to get something that shows the vehicle's service history. That's weird & worth a call to Porsche NA. 1-800-PORSCHE. Good luck!

Congrats on the Macan! Oh, and per forum rules: Pics & deets on the vehicle or it never happened

2016 Macan Turbo in Dark Blue Metallic. Premium Package Plus. Saddle Brown/Luxor Beige Interior. 20" RS Spyder Wheels.
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet Speed Yellow
2016 Boxster GTS Carmine Red
2016 Ford F-150 Limited
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

When I got my "previously loved" Aston Martin V8 Vantage, the previous owner, who was very meticulous, kindly provided me with all the service records -- highly redacted, of course. He took a sharpie and blacked out his name and address, credit card number, etc. I told you, he was meticulous. And yes, Aston Martin also has a policy of not giving out copies of the service records.

Although your vehicle's complete service history is computerized (assuming the previous owner only took it to the dealer for service) and they can look it up for you, there's something about printed service records/invoices that just seem more "tangible" for lack of a better word. That's why I always keep all my service records/invoices and religiously get the service book that came with the owner's manual stamped by the dealer. Not necessary since it is all computerized but great for resale.

.:programmatore:.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS (Porsche Experience Center Atlanta Delivery #114)
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (Gone)
2000 Porsche 996 Cabriolet (Gone)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage

Next time you are in their neighborhood, stop by a Porsche Dealer and ask a Porsche Service Adviser (with a $20 bill in your hand) if he can pull and discuss with you the past service records and other history on your car.

And at the same time, inquire if by chance the previous owner had pre-purchased a Service Plan on your Macan -- which is not cancelable (Salesmen won't tell you because they want to sell it to you too!), and transfers with the car for the next owner (if he knows about it)!!! That very pleasant surprise happened to me on both my current Preowned Macan GTS, and my wife's 2016 Pre-owned Audi.
remgb, fincher, SoCalS5 and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHoss View Post
Next time you are in their neighborhood, stop by a Porsche Dealer and ask a Porsche Service Adviser (with a $20 bill in your hand) if he can pull and discuss with you the past service records and other history on your car.

And at the same time, inquire if by chance the previous owner had pre-purchased a Service Plan on your Macan -- which is not cancelable (Salesmen won't tell you because they want to sell it to you too!), and transfers with the car for the next owner (if he knows about it)!!! That very pleasant surprise happened to me on both my current Preowned Macan GTS, and my wife's 2016 Pre-owned Audi.
I've always been able to view the the service history for the Used BMWs I've purchased.

As BossHoss mentioned, you need to develop a relationship with your service adviser. I usually just text my buddy the Vin and he sends me over a screen shot from the internal records. Is this technically wrong, maybe? I've followed this guy to 3 different dealers over the last few years and for a while had to drive 1 hr for service. Was it inconvenient, yes. But it gave me an excuse to drive the car and let it breathe on the expressway.

I don't see why it should be any different with here.

Last edited by arciga18; 01-09-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

I actually did speak on the phone with a local Service Advisor and they volunteered some info on a different car I was looking at at the time. I will definitely take that advice and go back to that SA in person (with $20) and see if I can get info on my car. And @BossHoss , I was wondering about the service plan, just never thought to ask a SA! That WOULD be a pleasant surprise.
@programmatore , how did you connect with the previous owner of your Aston Martin? That's the challenge in my case, given the stance the dealer is taking. Of course I could play hard ball and just go to PCNA, as Macanakey suggests. In order to attempt to keep a relationship with the dealer, for now I'll treat that as a last resort....good one though!
@Macanakey , photo is now my avatar. Deets to come.

I'm still interested if anyone else has experience to share. Thanks guys!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)

Did you get a Carfax report? I got a CPO car and the dealer provided me with the Carfax report and it showed the detail of every service the car had a dealers.
Macanakey likes this.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

@santastico , yes, I did get a Carfax. Looking at it again, the 3 page report shows very little. In the "Detailed History" section it shows five entries, 2x vehicle offered for sale and 3x registration changes. Clean car but nothing regarding service. Again, I know for a fact that the dealer serviced the car back in November and that is not written in the Carfax report.

Last edited by Chookie; 01-10-2017 at 02:39 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookie View Post
@programmatore , how did you connect with the previous owner of your Aston Martin? That's the challenge in my case, given the stance the dealer is taking. Of course I could play hard ball and just go to PCNA, as Macanakey suggests. In order to attempt to keep a relationship with the dealer, for now I'll treat that as a last resort....good one though!

I just asked the dealer if I could see the service history of the car and he said the previous owner provided them and gave me a manila folder with the redacted records! I lucked out! I think the car was actually on consignment -- the previous owner picked up a new DB9 -- and the previous owner provided the records so the car would sell more quickly.

.:programmatore:.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS (Porsche Experience Center Atlanta Delivery #114)
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (Gone)
2000 Porsche 996 Cabriolet (Gone)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

No such luck for me! I'm going to try some of the other avenues suggested here and report back....