User Tag List

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Default The daily driver aspects of the new 991.2

With only 370 miles and still in break in the driving review will be in the future . However, for the last two weeks I have been driving my 991.2 GTS as my daily driver . I'd like to share aspects of the new car compared to the former Boxster S . Macan (GTS and Turbo) , and former 911 cars .

The new car is comfortable . It is larger and more practical than any other 911 I have had . Compared to my former 09 PDK 997.2 the new car feels more luxurious . The PDk is much smoother at city driving speeds . The technology of course is improved , the stereo is improved , and the ride is more comfortable .

Compared to the Boxster I feel its night and day as the cars are so different . The 911 feels like more car . Just sitting in it feels like its important . Driving in it even at slow speed gives a sense of "I'm going slow but I know I can win" " type of ambiance. In contrast the Boxster feels like "who cares if I win because its just for fun" type of ambiance.

Interior space in the Boxster is tighter but trunk space is greater . The Boxster really has a lot of trunk space with two trunks . the Boxster drive had this go-kart fun and the 911 has this more serious fun . the 911 is much quicker at everything . The 911 GTS has Porsche's game face on !!!

Compared with the Macan even the Boxster felt like a lightweight acrobat . The Macan Turbo was clearly faster than the Boxster but a lot less fun to drive fast . The 911 answers the call of the Macan Turbo . Even though i am still in break in the few little upticks point at a car which has the comfort and can run .... and it can really run . The Macan clearly has the space advantage , the ground clearance for rain or bumpy roads , and just about every practical thing . It';s just that I find myself driving the 911 even to do chores .

Unlike my Turbo which is so over the top tricked out the PDK GTS is almost like the sporty comfort version of every 911 I have ever driven. No need to do a leg press with my stage 3 clutch but at the same time nowhere near ferocious power of a modded Turbo. I notice other drivers ride the bumper of the white GTS but they dont of the black aerokit slammed down Turbo. In fact .. they tend to see it in the rear view and move aside even if i am going slow.

It's been a fun two weeks !! I am in love with the car and i haven't even tested it abilities yet."
windblow, grim, nmolligo and 8 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage

Nice! I'm glad it's everything & more than you'd hoped for. Keep the reviews coming, please. I know that I'm enjoying reading them.

2016 Macan Turbo in Dark Blue Metallic.
2016 Boxster GTS Carmine Red
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet Speed Yellow
2016 Ford F-150 Limited
2017 Porsche GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanakey View Post
Nice! I'm glad it's everything & more than you'd hoped for. Keep the reviews coming, please. I know that I'm enjoying reading them.
Thank you . Today I bumped into a guy who I see occasionally as he parks where I lap swim once in awhile . He has a 16 Macan S and a 14 991.1 C4 Cab (manual) . We talked , i showed him my car , talked some more . He told me that originally he bought the Macan S to be more of a daily car but finds himself driving the 911 more than he had imagined . He also expressed the idea of a coupe over a cab if he replaces it and having one car instead of two . I did offer to drive my car and he was pressed for time .

My point of sharing this is that this 911 really has daily driver aspects . I probably will focus more on the other cars attributes after break in ends so this really is the time in the cars ownership where I get to explore the more rational side of having it.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)

I can definitely see the new 911 is a better daily driver than a Boxster or even a Macan. It has evolved from a pure sports car to a combination of a pure sports car and an GT cruiser.

The only thing lacking is the practicality to haul people and stuff.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
the Boxster feels like "who cares if I win because its just for fun" type of ambiance. "
Exactly
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

Thoughts? No doubt the 911 GTS is an amazing car. But it seems like what they are getting at is that a lot of high-end German performance cars are great on the track or autobahn, but not much fun on US roads at legal speeds.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)

Funny the author felt he was sitting in a giant bath tub/jacuzzi, as I said before when I drove an early generation 911.

The clutch on the 718 Cayman I test drove also had a longgg uptake before engaging, though it is a 6-speed, which is quite different from the clutch on the 981 Boxster I drove before. Kinda weird.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrunch View Post
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

Thoughts? No doubt the 911 GTS is an amazing car. But it seems like what they are getting at is that a lot of high-end German performance cars are great on the track or autobahn, but not much fun on US roads at legal speeds.
My entire point on this thread from my first post points to how luxurious the car is and joy it is to drive on the street . There is certainly no compromise in performance. I think the car is perfect. I don't know what he was looking to find in the car.

It's a shame that he dislikes the car so much to even has to write about it for a living .
Notice how the replies hit the nail on the head and his response is "very pretty". He really has no answer . Not one person agrees with him . (See below).

The replies he got --
Quoted from article --

5/19/17 1:21pm
I guess you could look at it another way. The new 911s are excellent luxury coupes that transform into drivers cars on the track? Seems pretty great to me.

On second thought, I’d imagine about 0.5% of readers, including myself, are in the market for such a car. I’m still trying to figure out how it makes sense to sell my 944 S2 and buy a 996.

edit: holy **** balls that car is beautiful though!
Reply2 replies

LionZoo
OKcarburetor
5/19/17 6:41pm
The 911 as a luxury car that can go really fast and do very well at track pretty much nails it. Considering the target demographic, it also makes a lot of sense.

(I own a 911, a 997TT, and yes, it’s my luxury car.)

LAF1Fans
OKcarburetor
5/19/17 5:10pm
This is in line with my views too. The Porsche 911 is more like a luxury car that can go really, really fast than it is a sports car. It’s a transition that has been going on for a long time now, and its in line with the market demand.

Andrew P Collins
OKcarburetor
5/19/17 2:50pm
Very pretty.

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-20-2017 at 01:34 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
Funny the author felt he was sitting in a giant bath tub/jacuzzi, as I said before when I drove an early generation 911.

The clutch on the 718 Cayman I test drove also had a longgg uptake before engaging, though it is a 6-speed, which is quite different from the clutch on the 981 Boxster I drove before. Kinda weird.
I test drove the manual C2S . I instantly noticed improvements over my Boxster and former 911's . It sliced through the gears like butter and even had all types of safety measures to protect the engine (Nick shows them in his video i posted).

I think what took me awhile to learn is that the entire 991 line up is not the traditional 911 . Porsche made a huge departure in 2012 when they lengthened the wheelbase and added all the comfort and technology . In fact cross shoppers even surfaced out of Bentley cars and other Luxury vehicles to check out the 991 along with the purists and long time 911 owners .

5 years later I have concluded that just as i matured so has the 911 . What even better is that the 911 has ripened with age offering more in every category (from Nurburgring numbers to features for ordinary commuters ).
In my opinion the car is a home run !!

I have already owned the former and more raw 911 cars and each has its value and are cherished .
That's what makes the 911 so special . We get to own , experience , and grow with the car as the car evolves and grows too.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)

Critics are what critics do - they complain the car lacks character, that its too good, too comfortable, too capable. Sounds like it answers what people want as daily driver! The part about costing too much money, there's always the base! If Porsche just makes one standard model with premium performance and premium price, it would have been mostly untouchable. There wouldn't be anything to gripe. Just human nature, I guess - always something to complain about.

Me, I'm really enjoying my base 7M 991.2 Cabriolet. On a nice day, I roll the top down; if it's windy, I flip the windscreen up and enjoy open top luxury. Some critics found the 7M gear lever too high - I installed the stock GT4 short shift kit enthusiasts rave about. It's snick snick short and precise shifting. For even more precision handling, I'm installing a DSC Sport V2; and as soon as the Cobb is available, I intend to get one (I know). Of course none of these are needed, but the point is there's performance, and there's more performance. You can mod, stay stock, go base, or go TTS - but it's always a 911.

The thing about a 911 (or two) is it talks to me in ways no other cars could. It's precise, refine, fast, classy, luxury, sporty, with a beautifully sculpted exterior/interior that's comfortable to drive everyday. The 991.2 is an improvement in most ways. It may not be the fastest, exotic, or most involving to drive, but it's possibly the best premium sports car you can own and drive everyday.
TripleL, yrralis1 and trusted like this.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso