Has the new 911 priced out younger shoppers ? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

275Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 503 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Default Has the new 911 priced out younger shoppers ?

I find it odd to see more young people driving the Macan than a 911 . I realize the new car is expensive but even the used 911 cars tend to be a more mature aged driver . By mature I mean (40's-60's) Vs (20's- 40's) .

Today i saw two beautiful 911 cars side by side . One was a base coupe and the other an S Cab . Both had sport exhaust , PDK, SC . The base coupe had sunroof delete which I loved . Sidenote .. I will not buy a Cab if i decide to bite .

Both drivers showed up and it turns out they didnt know each other . However all of us including myself had one thing in common .. a proximity in age .

Macan = young man car and 911 =old man car ?
Is it price ? The car ? Has the 911 lost the new generation ?

The more I think the more i even see this trend to be the case with older CPO 911 cars which can be bought at the same price as a new Macan .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage

As much as I love the 911, I agree it really is frequently an old man car. Especially the cabriolet. Porsche is smart though and they know this, which is why there is the Macan (including the 4 cyl version) to bring younger buyers into the fold, particularly those that only have the $ and/or space for one car and can't have an impractical sports car.
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)

In general, us "older" guys have mo money and better insurance. That simple . Always been the case for the most part.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I find it odd to see more young people driving the Macan than a 911 . I realize the new car is expensive but even the used 911 cars tend to be a more mature aged driver . By mature I mean (40's-60's) Vs (20's- 40's) .

Today i saw two beautiful 911 cars side by side . One was a base coupe and the other an S Cab . Both had sport exhaust , PDK, SC . The base coupe had sunroof delete which I loved . Sidenote .. I will not buy a Cab if i decide to bite .

Both drivers showed up and it turns out they didnt know each other . However all of us including myself had one thing in common .. a proximity in age .

Macan = young man car and 911 =old man car ?
Is it price ? The car ? Has the 911 lost the new generation ?

The more I think the more i even see this trend to be the case with older CPO 911 cars which can be bought at the same price as a new Macan .
I see it differently. I think is because Porsche's car technology has evolved enormously in the past ten years. This has caused that todays Macan's are faster than 2005 911s! The young generation may have realized that having a Macan with similar specs than their teenage years dream 911s, also at much lower price and higher practicality is good enough for their needs. That applies even in my case, even while being clasified in the older group that you have described. I am still absolutely amazed that my Macan GTS is somewhat close to the amazing 1986 959 supercar. The 959 was half a million bucks in Todays money, and I never had imagined I could have owned a car like that in my lifetime. And even with four doors!!!! Please, if you think I've exagerared comparing a 2017 Macan GTS with a 1986 959, switch the later, for the purposes of the point I want to make, to an 1982 911 Turbo.
Buckfever, kdr, WHT TGR and 3 others like this.

For me, it's the torque over weight ratio at mid RPM.
Dates cars owned, model & year:
1972-1974 Auto Union 1000 Sp Cabriolet 1962
1974-1981 VW Beetle 1974
1981-1984 Camaro 1971
1984-1986 Porsche 911 Targa 1974
1986-2016 Porsche 944 1986
1995-1999 Jaguar XJ6 1992
2000-2016 BMW X5 2000
2016- Porsche Macan GTS 2017
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT TGR View Post
In general, us "older" guys have mo money and better insurance. That simple . Always been the case for the most part.

That is the way it is for me. I'm an older guy and I agree with you about mo money and good insurance. The money part is always debatable/relevant to where you live but I do OK and I have two houses that are paid for.

Here is where I will pontificate my views about young guys and cars: I do see guys on youtube who are in their early 20s driving Z06's and Lamborghinis (again, I rarely see them in a Porsche 911). Basically all those young guys are seriously driven and have the desire to own those Lambos. They seem to sacrifice things like girls for their cars. When I was that age...yeah, I liked cars, but I liked other things more and I spent my money to get it. Now that I think about it, these young guys with Lambos are smarter than I was Back to the subject of young guys and Porsches: They see 911s as good solid cars but also boring and not "super cars". I'm actually in that boat. I know a 911 or even a GT3 is a friggin great car, but 911s to me are boring and not in the "super car" category. I'd rather have a Z06 (also not a "super car") with it's tire shredding power and I would take the extra ca$h and use it elsewhere. I've owned three Lotuses including a very rare factory race car. Porsches or Porks as we Lotus guys called them were definitely better built and just plain bullet proof, but we found them boring. We also did not like them because they worked better and won more races.
grim, RJMcInnis, kdr and 7 others like this.

2017 GTS White/Red ordered 22 Nov 2016 /PEC ATL delivery number 223 on March 7, 2017
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLGTS View Post
I see it differently. I think is because Porsche's car technology has evolved enormously in the past ten years. This has caused that todays Macan's are faster than 2005 911s! The young generation may have realized that having a Macan with similar specs than their teenage years dream 911s, also at much lower price and higher practicality is good enough for their needs. That applies even in my case, even while being clasified in the older group that you have described. I am still absolutely amazed that my Macan GTS is somewhat close to the amazing 1986 959 supercar. The 959 was half a million bucks in Todays money, and I never had imagined I could have owned a car like that in my lifetime. And even with four doors!!!! Please, if you think I've exagerared comparing a 2017 Macan GTS with a 1986 959, switch the later, for the purposes of the point I want to make, to an 1982 911 Turbo.
The performance numbers comparison do omit one big factor . Many of those 911 cars of the past had nothing even close to its price which could compete .
Don't get me wrong there were other fast cars but the ones with a high level of refinement cost more than Porsche .

Skipping generations and drawing comparisons is fun for amusement but technology evolves .
It's almost like asking if Mark Spitz would have beat Michael Phelps in the same time period whereas now coaching ,diet , sport medicine have grown.

A Macan Vs an older Porsche really only amounts to showing progress .
GTLGTS likes this.
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

Here is where I will pontificate my views about young guys and cars: I do see guys on youtube who are in their early 20s driving Z06's and Lamborghinis (again, I rarely see them in a Porsche 911). Basically all those young guys are seriously driven and have the desire to own those Lambos. They seem to sacrifice things like girls for their cars.

Are you saying that young guys in Lambos cant get a date ?
MacWhte likes this.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT TGR View Post

It's a different time period . I agree with you that many young folks face a financial struggle but it doesn't mean they omit the car . I see more young people living at home with their parents . In our ( meaning older) generation independence was a priority . This newer generation also savors independence but of a different nature . With a roof over their head and grandma cooking meals its easy to say "see ya" to a job in the hopes of looking for something better . And the car ? That's easy .. the parents lease it and 20-35 year old junior pays half every month and might even have enough left over to go to the South Beach clubs in between jobs .

They just aren't picking the 911 .
WHT TGR likes this.
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
The performance numbers comparison do omit one big factor . Many of those 911 cars of the past had nothing even close to its price which could compete .
Don't get me wrong there were other fast cars but the ones with a high level of refinement cost more than Porsche .

Skipping generations and drawing comparisons is fun for amusement but technology evolves .
It's almost like asking if Mark Spitz would have beat Michael Phelps in the same time period whereas now coaching ,diet , sport medicine have grown.

A Macan Vs an older Porsche really only amounts to showing progress .
Pretty much agree from your point of view. It's hard to explain what I mean. Will try another analogy. Food & wine. Remember the film Ratatouille? (sp?). The food expert was blown away by a dish that made him remember about what his mom cooked for him, in his youth. A good chef wants to make you remember the tastes that you loved in your youth.

Same with good wines. You use descriptors to describe the aromas and flavors that you have tasted in the past, in your youth. Peaches, chocolate, berries.

For me, that analogy also applies to the cars you loved in your youth, in my case and many others I think, Porsches. Not saying I am right, just presenting another point of view.

Edited later to make my point clearer:

The two person and two midget occupancy limitation of the 911 in the past, was because the motorsport technology was just not there. Now that it is, four door is better, IMHO.

For me, it's the torque over weight ratio at mid RPM.
Dates cars owned, model & year:
1972-1974 Auto Union 1000 Sp Cabriolet 1962
1974-1981 VW Beetle 1974
1981-1984 Camaro 1971
1984-1986 Porsche 911 Targa 1974
1986-2016 Porsche 944 1986
1995-1999 Jaguar XJ6 1992
2000-2016 BMW X5 2000
2016- Porsche Macan GTS 2017
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:33 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Completely the opposite.

911 is a great drivers car.

I have one major problem with them.......I have difficulty getting in and even more trouble getting out.

Hence my Macan Turbo.
TripleL, Nicky J., Benz and 4 others like this.