14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Garage
Default New Audi Q7 puts Cayenne to shame

Hi all. Wife and I are looking at a larger vehicle that can tow a 22' travel trailer and test drove a 2016 Cayenne S (with A/S+PASM) and a 2017 Audi Q7 (no air susp). I was really surprised how well the Q7 drove vs. the Cayenne. The Cayenne's ride was not smooth on the highway. Lots of little vibrations even on smooth asphalt. The acceleration was not smooth either. Felt like each shift of the Tiptronic would induce a little turbo lag and the car would pause momentarily causing a jerkiness in the acceleration. Wife hated it. Maybe I'm spoiled by the Macan's PDK, but the Cayenne was terrible, even with a 420 HP TT V6! On the other hand, the Q7 drove like a bigger Macan, although it rolls a bit more in the corners since it rides higher and is taller. The Audi transmission shifted smoothly and the car accelerated smoothly, although not a quickly as the Cayenne, since it has a 330 HP supercharged V6. The ride was nice and smooth too, with an adaptive suspension, much better than the Cayenne. Both cars were running 20" wheels and the Audi had run-flat tires. Now I realize this is an apples to oranges comparison since the Audi is a new design based on the new Porsche/Audi chassis platform and the Cayenne is being redesigned for MY2018, but wow what a difference. Think we will be buying the Audi in a few weeks!

BTW, the Audi has a MSRP of $70k vs MSRP of $97k (with A/S+PASM) for Cayenne S. Did not consider base Cayenne since it is over a second slower 0-60 than Audi. Adding air suspension to Audi is additional $4k.
SoCalS5 and JohnC4S like this.

2nd Macan
'15 Macan S - Sapphire Blue, 14-way Agate Standard, PP+, Heated Steering, 3-Zone, HD Radio, BOSE, LCA, AS+PASM, 20" RS Spyders, Gloss Black Trim, Rear Fascia Painted, Black Rails, Hitch (Delivered 6/18/15)
1st Macan(Trade-in)
'15 Macan S - Agate Grey, 14-way Agate Leather, PP+, Infotainment, LCA, PASM, 19" Design, Gloss Black Trim, Black Rails, Hitch (Delivered 9/22/14)

Last edited by dawiz4u; 07-03-2016 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Added pricing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)

Congrats. It's a nice looking vehicle. I have a neighbor that loves their new Q7.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage

The Q7 is a nice fresh design, my buddy just got one delivered and it looks great. I'm curious what Porsche has up its sleeves for the MY2018 Cayenne

2017 Macan GTS | Carmine Red (mine)
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty (hers)
- Previous 09 997.2 Carrera S
- Previous 14 Audi Allroad | Bagged

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)

Agree with you @dawiz4u all the way !!!
dawiz4u likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I test drove the Q7 before settling on the Macan, mainly because the dealership was right next door the Land Rover and I had just driven an RRS. I was very impressed by the way it drove given it's size. Unfortunately though, as we don't have kids or dogs, it was just too big for us.
I am 6'6" and set the drivers seat up for my seating position, then set the fore/aft adjustment on the second row so that I had about 1" of leg room to the front row and my partner who is 5'6" jumped in the third row and she still had leg clearance.
Would be a great family mover!
dawiz4u likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Garage

Looking forward to pics when you get it. I really like the lines of the new Q7, although it's too big a vehicle for me to have as a daily driver. I'm happy to admire one as it drives by, though.

2016 Macan Turbo in Dark Blue Metallic.
2016 Boxster GTS Carmine Red
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet Speed Yellow
2016 Ford F-150 Limited
2017 Porsche GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanakey View Post
Looking forward to pics when you get it. I really like the lines of the new Q7, although it's too big a vehicle for me to have as a daily driver. I'm happy to admire one as it drives by, though.
Yeah it is a big vehicle, although it is 2" shorter than the previous gen and 475 lbs lighter! Owners on the Audi forum are saying they get around 20-21 MPG average with 40/60 city/hwy driving. It has a really nice cockpit and clean visuals. I like the new large Vision display screen. Almost don't need the middle popup screen (which you can retract into the dash). Our kids are grown, so we don't need the 3rd row, unless we go visit them. Should be a good all-around vehicle. But I am definitely keeping my Macan!
Skinsfan likes this.

2nd Macan
'15 Macan S - Sapphire Blue, 14-way Agate Standard, PP+, Heated Steering, 3-Zone, HD Radio, BOSE, LCA, AS+PASM, 20" RS Spyders, Gloss Black Trim, Rear Fascia Painted, Black Rails, Hitch (Delivered 6/18/15)
1st Macan(Trade-in)
'15 Macan S - Agate Grey, 14-way Agate Leather, PP+, Infotainment, LCA, PASM, 19" Design, Gloss Black Trim, Black Rails, Hitch (Delivered 9/22/14)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)

Are the Q7 and Cayenne even in the same size category?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylon View Post
Are the Q7 and Cayenne even in the same size category?

The Q7 is about a foot longer and about the same width. I think it's also a sliver taller.

My neighbor happened to park next to my other neighbors Cayenne yesterday and I was able to visually compare.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiz4u View Post
Hi all. Wife and I are looking at a larger vehicle that can tow a 22' travel trailer and test drove a 2016 Cayenne S (with A/S+PASM) and a 2017 Audi Q7 (no air susp). I was really surprised how well the Q7 drove vs. the Cayenne. The Cayenne's ride was not smooth on the highway. Lots of little vibrations even on smooth asphalt. The acceleration was not smooth either. Felt like each shift of the Tiptronic would induce a little turbo lag and the car would pause momentarily causing a jerkiness in the acceleration. Wife hated it. Maybe I'm spoiled by the Macan's PDK, but the Cayenne was terrible, even with a 420 HP TT V6! On the other hand, the Q7 drove like a bigger Macan, although it rolls a bit more in the corners since it rides higher and is taller. The Audi transmission shifted smoothly and the car accelerated smoothly, although not a quickly as the Cayenne, since it has a 330 HP supercharged V6. The ride was nice and smooth too, with an adaptive suspension, much better than the Cayenne. Both cars were running 20" wheels and the Audi had run-flat tires. Now I realize this is an apples to oranges comparison since the Audi is a new design based on the new Porsche/Audi chassis platform and the Cayenne is being redesigned for MY2018, but wow what a difference. Think we will be buying the Audi in a few weeks!

BTW, the Audi has a MSRP of $70k vs MSRP of $97k (with A/S+PASM) for Cayenne S. Did not consider base Cayenne since it is over a second slower 0-60 than Audi. Adding air suspension to Audi is additional $4k.

333hp to be exact and 0-60 in 5.7, not bad for a 3 row vehicle. We are empty nesters but the wife wanted one for all the times when the extra space comes in handy. We drove it on vacation this year and their is a stretch of highway in Texas were the speed limit is 85. I don't like using cruise so there were times I was doing 100 but it felt like 40. Audi did a great job in developing this vehicle....hats off to them!
dawiz4u and WHT TGR like this.

Macan Turbo PP in Carmine Red with TEP, Opti-Coat Pro+, Expel Ultimate - aka "Redneck Sled" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. First Macan - 2015 Macan S in Agate Grey with Epel Ultimate. Lowered with H&R Sport Springs and tuned with a Race Chip.