An open letter to new buyers and code debaters... - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

454Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Default An open letter to new buyers and code debaters...

Just my thoughts for anyone in the same situation...
True story: When I was ordering my S I had a budget. I just found this forum as I was ordering and couldn't have been happier about the comraderie, advice, feedback, suggestions and general tone of the forums. Low and behold at the same time there were people talking about all these features I hadn't ordered... All these things that you "Had to have" or "couldn't ever order a car without" So I tossed and I turned and I even had some sleepless nights. I am already at the limit of what I wanted to spend but here are these people and they are on the Internet so they obviously know everything talking about all these things I wasn't going to have It was the first time I heard the term button envy. I debated, I built new configs, do I just go $1000 over budget, maybe 2, heck, I am already at this amount I may as well go another 5k because after all, these people are saying you need to have these features... Take your choice, AS, PASM, PTV, 18 way seats, 14 way seats, LCA, ACC, Sports Plus, PSE, etc etc etc...

So I sat down and looked myself in the mirror and made a decision at this point in my life I was going to stick to my budget. I also came to the realization I was buying a Porsche and while those "features" were nice, none of them were essential. Nice to have V need to Have... And you know what, the ONLY time I think about all of the things I listed above are when I come back to this forum. When I am in my Macan (which is an S on 20 inch wheels, No PASM, NO AS, No LCA, No ACC, No PTV mind you) I am NOTHING but happy!!! Not once do I think about what I "didn't" order. What I do think is how lucky I am to be driving MY Macan configured just how it is, how fortunate I am and how much I am enjoying myself. Not to mention, not a single person who has given me a thumbs up, waved, come over and asked about the Macan or told me how much they loved it has EVER asked about PASM, AS, LCA, ACC, PTV, PSE, or the # of buttons. They ALWAYS comment how beautiful it is, how enamored they are by the fit and finish, how they love the cockpit and the overall quality of the Macan.

So the point of all of that babbling is to provide some re-assurance for the new guy sitting on the fence about all the acronyms they are hearing and the truth that almost all of us were there and that no matter what Macan you order or how you spec it or how many acronyms it has you are going to absolutely love it! Don't be afraid to stick to a budget, don't feel there is anything you "need" to do. The only thing you NEED to do is A. What is right for you and B. enjoy the heck out of your Macan when you get it...

I know this is a bunch of longwinded babble but if it provides some comfort to someone who is in that agonizing stage so many of us have been in then it was worth it...

-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I have been a hovering around this message board for a few days (first post) and this is exactly where I am. So confused and lost. Your post is spot on and appreciated. I have literally submitted 5 or 6 different builds to my SA on my GTS, basically ebbing with the post/argument of the day. Even the side mirror is complicated! Regardless, I have been a member of many different message boards and this is by far the most friendly, insightful and down to earth one I have visited. Kudos to you all.
shaky, 645E3A, Louie Zoi and 11 others like this.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Paul,

I cannot agree more...I have on order a lowly spec'd GTS, the only options being surround view (for the wife...!) and a few stylistic options - sports mirrors & painted side blades.

I remember the countless hours playing with the Porsche 'confusigator' and reading reviews and comments. A perfect point being the ongoing discussion regarding the GTS ride comfort/suspension.

I am not saying that discussion is bad...it isn't, but one must remember that you are ordering your car for you...Porsche allow such variety so that people can get exactly what they want...I suppose the problem is that people don't really know what they want...but remember we all want a Porsche! We all are possessed by the excitement while we wait for delivery. We all want to get in and drive...anywhere...any anytime, if not all the time.

I have owed prestige vehicles before...dare I say more 'exclusive' and 'expensive' than my Macan GTS. But I have never been as excited !!!!!

Rich
2thguy, 645E3A, Louie Zoi and 8 others like this.

Porsche-code: PH31ILN9

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Garage

I agree 100% with what @Aprilia850 says. And I have one of the most loaded Macan Turbos on the forum. It is quite likely you will be very very happy with whatever you end up with, no matter how loaded or basic.

I would only add that you do your due diligence. Sit in the various seats to see what really fits you. Listen to the stereo options. Compare the basic interior to a Full Leather version (after all it's where you spend most of your time) Take the color samples at the dealer outside and compare in both sun and shade. Compare the ride on different wheels if your dealer has more than one. Compare the costs of replacement. Compare the S vs. the Turbo, and is the value there for you? Were you already picking many of the options on a S so that a Turbo is a better fit (that's what happened to me).

The options list is nearly endless and honestly insane (leather steering column and seat tubs, really?). And they are all not needed to enjoy the car. But many of the options make me enjoy the car much more than I would had I skipped them.

DON'T blindly listen to us. Take our various opinions, which are wide and differing, and weigh them against your needs and wants.

Buy what you can afford and makes you happy. I would also add that if you can't make a decision on an option after truly weighing it, keep in mind it's better (IMHO) to add now vs. regret later. But your opinion may be the exact opposite of that. And that is completely fine.

Good luck, and nearly anyone here will help you with any legitimate question you ask. Except me, I'm a jerk...
NETX, kite pilot, 2thguy and 17 others like this.

DELIVERED 31st Dec 2014. Happy New Year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)

@Aprilia850 , wow ! Good stuff brother and a big +uno .
@RJMcInnis , sound advice .

You guys rock !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2thguy, dpreese, GTW4CG and 4 others like this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)

The reason Porsche offers such a dazzling array of potential options combinations is so each of us can get what we want and need and can afford.

What's right for the next guy (or gal) may not be right for you.

I do enjoy the debates over the different options, and reading opposing viewpoints...usually very insightful and helpful.
Hokie, Jerry and SCZRN like this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Default Well Done Aprilia & .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia850 View Post
Just my thoughts for anyone in the same situation...
True story: When I was ordering my S I had a budget. I just found this forum as I was ordering and couldn't have been happier about the comraderie, advice, feedback, suggestions and general tone of the forums. Low and behold at the same time there were people talking about all these features I hadn't ordered... All these things that you "Had to have" or "couldn't ever order a car without" So I tossed and I turned and I even had some sleepless nights. I am already at the limit of what I wanted to spend but here are these people and they are on the Internet so they obviously know everything talking about all these things I wasn't going to have It was the first time I heard the term button envy. I debated, I built new configs, do I just go $1000 over budget, maybe 2, heck, I am already at this amount I may as well go another 5k because after all, these people are saying you need to have these features... Take your choice, AS, PASM, PTV, 18 way seats, 14 way seats, LCA, ACC, Sports Plus, PSE, etc etc etc...

So I sat down and looked myself in the mirror and made a decision at this point in my life I was going to stick to my budget. I also came to the realization I was buying a Porsche and while those "features" were nice, none of them were essential. Nice to have V need to Have... And you know what, the ONLY time I think about all of the things I listed above are when I come back to this forum. When I am in my Macan (which is an S on 20 inch wheels, No PASM, NO AS, No LCA, No ACC, No PTV mind you) I am NOTHING but happy!!! Not once do I think about what I "didn't" order. What I do think is how lucky I am to be driving MY Macan configured just how it is, how fortunate I am and how much I am enjoying myself. Not to mention, not a single person who has given me a thumbs up, waved, come over and asked about the Macan or told me how much they loved it has EVER asked about PASM, AS, LCA, ACC, PTV, PSE, or the # of buttons. They ALWAYS comment how beautiful it is, how enamored they are by the fit and finish, how they love the cockpit and the overall quality of the Macan.

So the point of all of that babbling is to provide some re-assurance for the new guy sitting on the fence about all the acronyms they are hearing and the truth that almost all of us were there and that no matter what Macan you order or how you spec it or how many acronyms it has you are going to absolutely love it! Don't be afraid to stick to a budget, don't feel there is anything you "need" to do. The only thing you NEED to do is A. What is right for you and B. enjoy the heck out of your Macan when you get it...

I know this is a bunch of longwinded babble but if it provides some comfort to someone who is in that agonizing stage so many of us have been in then it was worth it...

-Paul
Nicely stated Paul & RJ Mc but no surprise given your previous posts, you fellas have set the bar high for yourselves. I arrived here in early 2014, also had a budget on my 2015 S build & used MF to help me get there.

More recently I've used the forum to assist w/ my 2017 build & the only thing I can add is something Paul stated early in his post. Remember to be appreciative for being able to create a build & keep that in mind when driving & enjoying it. IMO, second guessing yourself after the fact is an exercise in futility.

Off my soapbox, just my .02 & HTH.

2017 Macan S
2015 Macan S
2013 Acura RDX
2008 Touareg T2 further back
1984 911SC Guards Red wayyy back
Many BMWs prior, in the industry then
w/ the first personally owned a '76 3.0Si
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)

I'm a big believer in buying what you can afford plain and simple its not magic there's no secret formula some folks here have really deep pockets and some folks don't.
NETX, WHT TGR, Aprilia850 and 6 others like this.

Ordered 3/6/15 Delivered 6/17/15 S/Agate/Black/leather pkg/AS,PASM/Heated Wheel/Color Blades/LCA/3-Z Climate/Bose/Infotainment /Voice/gls blk trim/Premium +/comfort light/model delete/14 way seats Opti-Coat Pro.

Off Road/Winter Car-2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Sports Car-98 Corvette Convertible heavily modified
Hobby-2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
Just sold my beloved 70 Chevelle SS 454 to buy Macan
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)

I agree with everything said above. I'm about to get my first Porsche and was tempted by all the bells and whistles...and had a lot of fun doing configurations.

Then I said...let's look at me, where I drive and how I drive. What's important, What will I really use, what do I really want and so on. And I started down the list.

I think a lot of folks don't sit back and say "how do I drive"...and they get succumbed into buying what is viewed as "the perfect Porsche". Two examples...Bose Radio: I listen to news/finance and comedy....why do I need this? Sports Chrono...I have never floored a car in my life...why do I need launch control or even sports +? LCA: vital..have it on my current car and it's saved me a few times. I have never opened my sun roof in the past 3 years, so why do I need it on a Macan. And so on.

I couldn't even justify the GTS...I think 5.2 seconds is faster than I will ever need and we don't have winding roads and curves where I live in Florida. I don't even need to spend money on paint...white is a great color...and with black/tan standard seats for just $240 or so, I don't need leather to get a non-glare dash. Oh, I do need seat ventilation and 14 way seats for lumbar support. And for $65,100, I have a Macan S that fits me and my driving style....and that's what matters.
NETX, RJMcInnis, 2thguy and 14 others like this.

If you see an ad just below my posted text above, it's inserted by the forum owner, not me.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

[QUOTE=WHT TGR;1411898]
You guys rock !

Weird, you don't sound like 82!!!
WHT TGR, djs2303 and SCZRN like this.