An open letter to new buyers and code debaters... - Page 3 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

445Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)

@Aprilia850
Paul, thank you for writing such a down to earth and eloquent letter to all of us sitting for hours in front of the computer trying to decide what we need on our newest toys. Your letter and all the responses gave me the warm fuzzies. It is very easy to get sucked in to all the goodies and what other people think. I came to this forum a month after ordering my GTS. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted, so I came here last month to see what others were thinking about all the choices. It was amazingly helpful! I changed my build three times. I am not new to Porsche, this will be "our" third. What I am new to is choosing one for myself, a special order just for me. We have always bought ours cars off the lot. It was hard to decide what I needed vs. wanted. My current daily driver has many more options than I was able to choose on my Macan. But as @ghstudio points out, how many of those options do I actually use and how many times have I used them since I bought it. Most of the buttons I turn off because they are annoying! I don't need a big flashing light on the windshield and loud startling alarms when a car stops in front of me. I have eyes, I can see that. I love the adaptive cruise, but I've used it less than 5 times. I did go way over budget to the tune of $82,585. But we can afford it and I am happy. Today it fixed and is headed into production soon. See you in April!
PIEZON, 2thguy, WHT TGR and 2 others like this.

2017 Macan GTS in my garage since 4/20/16 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Garage

Kudos to @Aprilia850 for his post which I nominate for MF thread of the year #toty
WHT TGR, Aprilia850 and fritz like this.

Macan S in jet black metallic with leather interior in black, dark walnut, RS Sypder wheels, stainless steel skid plates
Porsche code:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PFJ3YDU4. Delivered August 2014

My Reviews |
|
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

It's simply because they can since people will buy the cars regardless. If I have read correctly in the past, there was an article that mentioned Porsche as one of the most profitable automotive brands in terms of margin.

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage

Great post @Aprilia850 , bang on. I was lucky enough to forego the Macan Owner Initiation process and get my car off the lot. It's pretty well optioned and there isn't anything that I would prefer to have/not have, so lucky in that respect. I found the forum most useful for informing me - in much more detail than the Porsche website or any online review - about all aspects of the car. This means, as a new owner I can hit the ground running and do away with that learning curve. So, once again, kudos to the forum!

On the other hand, I do miss the days when the only important options were:

Colour, LSD, 5 speed, seat heating, sunroof, rear wiper - and the last three were negotiable.

Aprilia850 likes this.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 443 Post(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)

I like the Op's post but I could not wait months for a car unless every detailed option desired was on that car.
If budget was the primary focus I'd pick a lot car and skip the entire waiting -ordering process.
I do agree that one can buy a car missing items and still end up loving the car.
RJMcInnis and Bertholt like this.
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)

Excellent and very insightful and down to earth post, thank you!! Totally agree to all that has been mentioned.

I find it SO amusing to be part of this great forum with a lot of fun and smart people. Having different opinion on options and their pros and cons that are discussed back and forth is entertaining to say the least. Should this impact on your final order decision? Only YOU know and can decide. What is a very good benefit though is that YOU will take the decision based on some good insights and will minimize the surprises upon delivery. At the end of the road a bare naked car would put more smiles on ones face than many other cars out there. You buy the ticket to the world of Porsche and all that is associated and connected to that experience. Gotta love it!

Sometime opinions can sound a bit harsh and pronounced with big words like it is the end of the world if a certain option is not selected or if a certain combination of interior, exterior color and wheels is selected. At the end of the day it is just minor details within a much bigger scope of owning a model created by one of the most desirable brands in the car business. We're all happy campers that can be on this road!

Keep up the great work guys and thank you all for all excellent insights and making it such a enjoyable time logging in to this forum . Logging in here on a daily basis has turned out to be as important as my morning coffee

Cheers!
NETX, WHT TGR, MDJAK and 6 others like this.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertholt View Post
On the other hand, I do miss the days when the only important options were:

Colour, LSD, 5 speed, seat heating, sunroof, rear wiper - and the last three were negotiable.

LSD was an option? In the 60's, maybe?

RJMcInnis, WHT TGR, MDJAK and 3 others like this.
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 AM
STL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage

The forum rocks! There's no other way to say it. I valued everyone's opinion when deciding on my GTS build. There were lots of things that I hadn't considered or wasn't knowledgeable about and the people here really made the difference. If it weren't for this forum I'd regret some of my earlier decisions.

I think what swayed me with some of the big ticket items like AS, PTV, ACC, SC, etc, was not whether I could do without them (of course we call can), but six months down the track after I'd driven the car a few thousand kilometres, and some of the new car excitement had subsided, whether I'd be looking for something more from the car. Some extra dimensions (let's call them deselected configuration items or blank buttons) that I wish the car had.

There's nothing worse than post Porsche Macan purchase dissonance.

Back to the OP (great post by the way), I think the thing that has really gotten me with the Macan (this is my first Porsche) is that I feel like I'm about to join a brotherhood/sisterhood that, up until a few years ago, I thought was just for rich toffs. I've since learnt that Porsche's aren't driven by toffs - they are driven by people who really appreciate their cars and love to drive (it's easy to be a tall poppy). So with that in mind, who really cares about who got what overpriced option, when we're all in the enviable position to be part of this exclusive club, and enjoy the whole experience of owning (or about to own) these fantastic cars.

So awesome.
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Great post @Aprilia850 , your words of wisdom would have done me well pre-order These kind of posts and responses are why I like this forum so much.
Aprilia850 likes this.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

OK so most of you guys are in the States but there is a big wide world out there and in each country there are market specifics.

You USA guys get preferential treatment by Porsche in short delivery times, we have S petrol at 12m, S diesel are 7 months, Turbo 9 months and GTS well anything from 9-18 months.

USA has lot cars, which are specified to include a certain number of extras, in the UK we have showroom cars and demonstrators, the showroom car is there for six months and has plenty of extras fitted the demonstrators are mixed budget and more well specified.

In the UK second owners want certain extras fitted hence first buyers need to include enough extras to maintain residuals when they come to trade in or sell on.

Essential extras in the UK are as a minimum:- PASM, Pano sun roof, partial leather, PS+, SatNav, xenon, and 20 inch wheels.